100k speakers vs 1k speakers! - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 158 Old 06-19-2013, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Interesting how this thread migrated from costs on a pair of speakers…. which makes me think 2 channel music listening to buying speakers for a dedicated home theater. While there are many common concepts… the final solution may look considerably different, IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 158 Old 06-19-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Has anyone ever compared a DIY project versus a MFG made set up ??? Around the same price or even differing price ??? I'd be curious to hear about it.

Sure.

It varies. A skilled amateur can do very well. A lot of guys buy parts based on specs as opposed to actual performance, and don't do so well.

The test gear to properly build speakers used to be far more expensive.

One thing is that there is an approximate 6 x cost over raw component cost for factory built speakers.

This is somewhat offset by the fact that speaker manufacturers get parts at significant discounts or make the drivers themselves.
post #153 of 158 Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Well, I don't know any billionaires but I am family with 4 multimillionaires and have a few friends that are very wealthy too. My theater kills theirs and they spent much more. Every single one of them have a whole house integration type system with also a dedicated entertainment room. This includes a wine cellar, full bar(I mean full), big screen, and even a couple have a ballroom or disco rooms. I have tried to show them the light but they don't care and always has someone else taking care of their hobbies because they are working 24/7 and even when on vacation. I tell myself that is why I could never be that wealthy! Even on exclusion private yatch cruises they work during the day and then play at night. People with true wealth are a different breed.
mhrischuk likes this.
post #154 of 158 Old 06-20-2013, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

It's always the people that don't have money, that pretend to know how the rich spend their money. Here's a little news flash for you, the rich will spend ungodly amounts of money on things they are interested in. They will drop $100K on the stupidest things, but to them, that's what they want, so they don't bat an eye. There are also different types of wealthy people, people who are frugal (the Hunt brothers) and then you have the people that like to drop ridiculous cash on whatever they are interested in (Larry Ellison). In the real world, if a wealthy person is interested in home audio, they won't even flinch at dropping 100K on speakers. It's just a non issue.

Now for us normal people, a few thousand on audio equipment is something we definitely think long and hard about.

This is so true, We do some work on some super yachts and the money they spend on them is on the extreme end of omg.
One such time was when the owner of one of them got board of the color of the seats in one of the rooms so he had them changed but the seats were built into the floor so it had to have a new floor laid as well. In the end the total cost of changing the color of 5 single swivel chairs in the bar was €4mill euros. The high end systems stop been for the quality of the music probably long before the $10k mark and its about the looks which is probably more important for the super-rich.

As for SQ its about been happy with what you have got. I think my simple setup sounds good. I am shore if I went up to the nest level up it would sound better but I don’t know what better is so I am happy with what I have. In some ways your better not going and demoing things out of your price range because it will just make you disappointed with what you have. There is always something BETTER with anything in this world its about been content and happy with what you have.
post #155 of 158 Old 06-20-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappits View Post

It's always the people that don't have money, that pretend to know how the rich spend their money.

Agreed.
Quote:
Here's a little news flash for you, the rich will spend ungodly amounts of money on things they are interested in. They will drop $100K on the stupidest things, but to them, that's what they want, so they don't bat an eye. There are also different types of wealthy people, people who are frugal (the Hunt brothers) and then you have the people that like to drop ridiculous cash on whatever they are interested in (Larry Ellison). In the real world, if a wealthy person is interested in home audio, they won't even flinch at dropping 100K on speakers. It's just a non issue.

There are also regional trends. I live about 2 miles from Lake St Clair which has a goodly number of yacht clubs and public and private harbors - probably one of the larger concentrations of that sort of thing in the world. Around here the boat stores are huge and the audio salons just about don't exist. On the other side of town there are a lot of lakes but most of them can't even float what amounts to be a medium sized boat around here. There are a goodly number of A/V salons.
Quote:
Now for us normal people, a few thousand on audio equipment is something we definitely think long and hard about.

Yes. Furthermore even many of the more spendy among us will do their own installation.
Quote:
This is so true, We do some work on some super yachts and the money they spend on them is on the extreme end of omg.

As they say, a boat is a hole in the water that people try to fill with money. A half million dollars does not get you a big boat.
Quote:
One such time was when the owner of one of them got board of the color of the seats in one of the rooms so he had them changed but the seats were built into the floor so it had to have a new floor laid as well. In the end the total cost of changing the color of 5 single swivel chairs in the bar was €4mill euros. The high end systems stop been for the quality of the music probably long before the $10k mark and its about the looks which is probably more important for the super-rich.

You can spend virtually an unlimited amount of money on a boat and not come close to reaching diminishing returns.
Quote:
As for SQ its about been happy with what you have got. I think my simple setup sounds good. I am shore if I went up to the nest level up it would sound better but I don’t know what better is so I am happy with what I have. In some ways your better not going and demoing things out of your price range because it will just make you disappointed with what you have. There is always something BETTER with anything in this world its about been content and happy with what you have.

I think that you can spend say $35K on an AV system without installation but you will be pretty close to the point highly diminished returns. The corresponding point for boats is many orders of magnitude more. People spend $35k a year on golf and don't bat an eyelash but end up with hangovers and cheap golf clubs.
post #156 of 158 Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 246
About 3 years ago, while at a super high-end audio store in the Los Angeles area that carried speakers over $100k, and even over $200k, I asked one of the managers how many of those they sold and just what type of people bought them. I wanted to know if the super-rich were really that into high-end audio or if they just bought such systems for the prestige.

He told me that most of the time when they sell speakers over $100k, the person who actually comes in and buys them isn't even the person who will pay for them and own them. It's an employee of the wealthy person, such as a personal assistant, an interior decorator, a money manager, etc. He said the actual super-wealthy person just passes off the task to the assistant to go buy a really nice system. To somebody who may not know better, that means "go buy the most expensive thing you can find."

These types of customers only appear a few times a year, but I imagine they're a gold-mine to high-end dealers.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #157 of 158 Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Exactly!
post #158 of 158 Old 09-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sad, but very true. "Focal? Never heard of them, must not be good. You should just buy Bose, they are the best!"[/quote]
Got a good friend that cakks them blows. biggrin.gif

Sent from my recliner, using my arthritic thumbs. (being helped by the Abby dog who is reading from my shoulder)
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page