Best music options for the bedroom - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I know that A LOT of people asked questions on bedroom speakers but my situation is a little different. Ive only really been exposed to the speakers at a Magnolia/best buy (heard the b&w cm9s but way out of my price range) so I'm not really sure what would fit my bill. I'm probably about a 80% music guy and 20% movies. Currently I have audio-engine a5+ and love them but I really want rears (I can move them somewhere else and put a new system in). I have a small bedroom but I can fit two small towers and then probably bookshelves for rears (I'll figure out the receiver and sub later). I'm willing to pay for good ones (maybe around 800$) just wanted to know what recommendations you guys had.

Thanks!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Do you also want a center channel?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yes if possible. Even if its two towers/bookshelves and then ill do the rears later that would be fine. I just want awesome sound :P
post #4 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1527 View Post

Yes if possible. Even if its two towers/bookshelves and then ill do the rears later that would be fine. I just want awesome sound :P

The Boston VS260 and 325C are real good - they are on closeout pricing.
This is your chance to get higher up sound, for a solid price.

The bass of the 260 is real good.
http://search.vanns.com/sitesearch/search?q=boston+vs

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/-VS-2...aker-P229.aspx

post #5 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah those look sick any other ones you know off the top of my head I can research?
post #6 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Paradigm mini monitors are another good choice. Not available online though. About $500 a pr. Mine are now on surround duty since I got my monitor 9 towers, but sounded great up front with or without a sub.

You could pair them with the Center 1 which I do believe is around $350.

Good luck in your search and enjoy.

post #7 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys I appreciate it!
post #8 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah those look sick any other ones you know off the top of my head I can research?

I do not know what is on top of your head.

That is a tight budget
Look at NHT
http://www.nhthifi.com/Two-Black?sc=12&category=3772

KEF
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

post #9 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

In the spirit of "recommend what ya got", a pair of Ascend Sierras are close to your budget, and they are pretty darn good IMHO (I've only heard the NrT versions which add to the cost). I would have to believe these are among the very best for their price/size.

Whatever you choose, good luck, hope you find the right fit! If you do end up with a good sounding system, I definitely see some advantages to the location !

Jay

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #10 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.lockwaresystems.com/D10HT-111-169.html

These may work well. They fit well within your budget and include 2 subs. I can't comment on their sound, but given the reviews of the drivers (and my personal experience with swan) I'd imagine they sound pretty good.

I'm a bit biased though xP.

Please tell me what happened in this night.
It's like the cat inside the box.

You don't know if the cat in the box is dead or alive.

The cat in the box was dead.
post #11 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I do not know what is on top of your head.

That is a tight budget
Look at NHT
http://www.nhthifi.com/Two-Black?sc=12&category=3772

KEF

Hahaha I just meant anything good you know of :P
post #12 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hahaha I just meant anything good you know of :P

The Outlaw BLS is good - made by the Snell family
They have a B stock pair for $699
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/bls.html
https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/bstock.html

post #13 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

In the spirit of "recommend what ya got", a pair of Ascend Sierras are close to your budget, and they are pretty darn good IMHO (I've only heard the NrT versions which add to the cost). I would have to believe these are among the very best for their price/size.

Whatever you choose, good luck, hope you find the right fit! If you do end up with a good sounding system, I definitely see some advantages to the location !

Jay

Sweet thanks man i got a lot of research to do . Bedroom is ALWAYS the best place
post #14 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM

80% music, why would you want rears?

Listening to music in anything other than 2.0 or 2.1 is just an inferior music listening experience. Unless you use formats like SACD which went nowhere, music is not even engineered for 5.1, so all you are hearing is artificial.. mere simulation of surround sound and emulation. If you really want the best music experience and want the most accurate reproduction of the artist's recordings, get 2x studio monitors from brands like Paradigm or B&W, and a solid woofer if you're a bass oriented kinda guy.

What sucks is when you listen at Best Buy, they never have anything near its full potential. Nothing will be eq'd at all, they'll demo music for you on low end ipods , won't understand when and where to connect analog or digital, etc .. that's if you're lucky enough for them to figure out how to set everything up at all.

How far away is your nearest mom and pop shop that would carry brands like Paradigm, B&W, McIntosh?
post #15 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastjuju View Post

80% music, why would you want rears?

Listening to music in anything other than 2.0 or 2.1 is just an inferior music listening experience. Unless you use formats like SACD which went nowhere, music is not even engineered for 5.1, so all you are hearing is artificial.. mere simulation of surround sound and emulation. If you really want the best music experience and want the most accurate reproduction of the artist's recordings, get 2x studio monitors from brands like Paradigm or B&W, and a solid woofer if you're a bass oriented kinda guy.

What sucks is when you listen at Best Buy, they never have anything near its full potential. Nothing will be eq'd at all, they'll demo music for you on low end ipods , won't understand when and where to connect analog or digital, etc .. that's if you're lucky enough for them to figure out how to set everything up at all.

How far away is your nearest mom and pop shop that would carry brands like Paradigm, B&W, McIntosh?

Well i would only use the 5.1 when i was watching movies and such. I have heard the different stocks of the B&W's (which sound awesome) but i cant afford them. Even going with their CM5's just for the pair i think i'm hitting 1500$, and i still want a center, which is way over my budget. And they don't demo on ipods, they actually have receivers especially in the Magnolia section, he even let me pick out a cd based on the music i like. The closest store i think is about 45 minutes away, which is why i haven't gone there (yet). But your right, i should really hear the stuff for myself, maybe ill take that ride up before gas prices sky rocket
post #16 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Here you go, Mike. For the price of a pair of B&W's (dry sounding and overpriced IMO), you can get an entire 5.1 set of very nice looking and sounding speakers and subwoofer. These look to be in your financial wheelhouse and represent a good value.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...29,70,909.aspx

Or, if you want to piece a system together a bit at a time, a set of 4 monitors is just 700 bucks.

The best thing about these...you get free delivery AND shipping back to Aperion if you don't like them. This is the best way to audition speakers...exactly where they are going to be listened to...and best of all, at no risk to you. BTW, the people at Aperion are first rate to deal with.

Good luck with your search.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #17 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Here you go, Mike. For the price of a pair of B&W's (dry sounding and overpriced IMO), you can get an entire 5.1 set of very nice looking and sounding speakers and subwoofer. These look to be in your financial wheelhouse and represent a good value.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...29,70,909.aspx

Or, if you want to piece a system together a bit at a time, a set of 4 monitors is just 700 bucks.

The best thing about these...you get free delivery AND shipping back to Aperion if you don't like them. This is the best way to audition speakers...exactly where they are going to be listened to...and best of all, at no risk to you. BTW, the people at Aperion are first rate to deal with.

Good luck with your search.

Wow yeah, i really like the cherry color too, that'd look sick in my room, only problem is i'd be afraid i'd never return them :P hahah ill have to check those out thanks man!
post #18 of 30 Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 726
2 pairs of RC-10s and an RC-LCR would work great in a bedroom for music and movies and would run you just under $1K shipped. Skim through the Energy Owners Thread in recent months, and you'll find that people love them (I have a pair). Here's a review:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc10.htm

Then later on add a good sub.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #19 of 30 Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 AM

I highly recommend the Kef Q300. They are phenomenal bookshelf speakers. Ac4l has them for 488 delivered & even though they state open box, they are new. I have them, neutral sound, clean, clear bass & NEVER fatiguing even at silly volume levels. They sound good at low volumes as well

http://www.accessories4less.com/inde...y=q300&x=0&y=0

Here are some reviews:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/kef-q300

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/speak...-speakers.html

http://www.harmonique-blog.be/test-kef-q600c-q300 - Use Google translate to translate this page
post #20 of 30 Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow yeah, i really like the cherry color too, that'd look sick in my room, only problem is i'd be afraid i'd never return them :P hahah ill have to check those out thanks man!

I have seen them in cherry, and the finish is quite nice. That system is really nice, man...along with free shipping (both ways, if necessary) they include an SPL meter and some cleaning gear. Hahaaa...posting to you has made ME think about putting one of these sets in MY bedroom! [...wonder if the wife will let me...]

MARGARITAS,
post #21 of 30 Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM

You guys just INSIST on giving into the 5.1 craze, don't you? Even though the OP claims 80% of his time will be music, in a smaller bedroom, he still insists on 5.1.. .. This guy could get phenomenal sound quality if he went with 2x high quality studio monitors, and didn't waste any money on a center or two rears.. but apparently the quantity of speakers > quality of speakers to consumers these days.

You really need to hear any speakers in person before buying them. In case you haven't noticed yet, with any speaker suggestion threads, people almost always just recommend their own equipment they have bias towards.
post #22 of 30 Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You guys just INSIST on giving into the 5.1 craze, don't you? Even though the OP claims 80% of his time will be music, in a smaller bedroom, he still insists on 5.1.. .. This guy could get phenomenal sound quality if he went with 2x high quality studio monitors, and didn't waste any money on a center or two rears.. but apparently the quantity of speakers > quality of speakers to consumers these days.

You really need to hear any speakers in person before buying them. In case you haven't noticed yet, with any speaker suggestion threads, people almost always just recommend their own equipment they have bias towards.

I'm not trying to argue at all or anything, just saying i guess i want to hear that roar of the mustang behind me when i watching "I Am Legend" or something. Not saying i'm going to need the full 5.0* system all the time(i could fit it, just no sub :P) sometimes so at least i have that capacity whenever i do watch a movie.

Yeah, i'm gonna check out the place this weekend, thanks.
post #23 of 30 Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Easy now. Why so argumentative, juju?

The OP wants to have music AND an HT surround option. And it shouldn't come as a surprise to you that it's HIS money to spend (or waste by your standards).

And for you to say that "people almost always recommend their own equipment" is perhaps not so true as you believe. There are a lot of experienced folks here on AVS that have auditioned (or owned) tens or hundreds of speakers, or more, that can provide insights into gear without pimping their own. (And if you're referring to me, btw...I'm an Aerial Acoustics guy who enjoys his Model 7B's in 2-channel music within a 7.2 system. And in case you missed it, the Aperions I recommended are in his price range and allow for FREE [shipping included] 30-day trials in home. It doesn't get better than that.)

I guess you didn't have anything positive to contribute to the OP?

MARGARITAS,
post #24 of 30 Old 02-25-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Easy now. Why so argumentative, juju?

The OP wants to have music AND an HT surround option. And it shouldn't come as a surprise to you that it's HIS money to spend (or waste by your standards).

And for you to say that "people almost always recommend their own equipment" is perhaps not so true as you believe. There are a lot of experienced folks here on AVS that have auditioned (or owned) tens or hundreds of speakers, or more, that can provide insights into gear without pimping their own. (And if you're referring to me, btw...I'm an Aerial Acoustics guy who enjoys his Model 7B's in 2-channel music within a 7.2 system. And in case you missed it, the Aperions I recommended are in his price range and allow for FREE [shipping included] 30-day trials in home. It doesn't get better than that.)

I guess you didn't have anything positive to contribute to the OP?

All I'm saying is I wish when I was learning about audio equipment, that someone would have taught me about why quality > quantity. I too fell for the idea that having a 5.1 surround setup was all the rage.. only to eventually learn just HOW inferior it was to having 2 incredible speakers up front when it comes to music, one of my greatest passions.

Really its just simple math. Lets say you have a receiver and a sub already, and you have $1,000 for your speaker budget. I'm arguing that TWO speakers @ $500/each will blow the doors off say the amount you went with, SEVEN speakers, at only $140 each.

No matter how many $140 speakers you keep adding, it will never match the sound quality you could have gotten from just two $500 speakers.

So I'm just trying to get him to think about every option he has really. Its obvious he will get surround sound suggestions.. but I just challenge the popular notion that having sound coming from behind you is somehow more of a necessity than having incredible, crystal clear sound quality.. ESPECIALLY for music lovers.

.. and I didn't say always, I said ALMOST always .. and I stand by that statement because I find the same exact thing going on at every forum's audio section.
post #25 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

Did you make a choice? Be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

Mud

MARGARITAS,
post #26 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

All I'm saying is I wish when I was learning about audio equipment, that someone would have taught me about why quality > quantity. I too fell for the idea that having a 5.1 surround setup was all the rage.. only to eventually learn just HOW inferior it was to having 2 incredible speakers up front when it comes to music, one of my greatest passions.

Really its just simple math. Lets say you have a receiver and a sub already, and you have $1,000 for your speaker budget. I'm arguing that TWO speakers @ $500/each will blow the doors off say the amount you went with, SEVEN speakers, at only $140 each.

No matter how many $140 speakers you keep adding, it will never match the sound quality you could have gotten from just two $500 speakers.

So I'm just trying to get him to think about every option he has really. Its obvious he will get surround sound suggestions.. but I just challenge the popular notion that having sound coming from behind you is somehow more of a necessity than having incredible, crystal clear sound quality.. ESPECIALLY for music lovers.

.. and I didn't say always, I said ALMOST always .. and I stand by that statement because I find the same exact thing going on at every forum's audio section.

+1, I have to agree with this.
post #27 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

+2

Had to change for few months the place of my TV/HT set and for now I can´t place the sorrounds because it´s impossible right now, and you know what? I don´t miss sorrounds.

And, if you listen 70% of the time stereo music, the the sorrounds are nor going to be needed.
post #28 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:

+3

Especially with 80% music; *I* would spend $800 for two rather than that amount on five.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #29 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post

+3

Especially with 80% music; *I* would spend $800 for two rather than that amount on five.

I find it interesting that you guys think there is a big difference in SQ between $200 speakers and $400 speakers. In *MY* experience that is neither so clear cut nor even necessarily correct. You guys also haven't even addressed listener preferences or the aesthetics of the various units.

I'd say that if any of you were to run blinded A/B, level matched listening tests in this price range, and I have run plenty, you could not reliably pick the more expensive speaker.

Lastly, never discourage the OP nor anyone from taking advantage of available in situ auditioning opportunities.

MARGARITAS,
post #30 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Disregard

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page