post #31 of 67 Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

You could try some Geddes loudspeakers. I haven't heard them but they get really good reviews and have excellent measurements. They are said to image very well and throw a very nice soundstage for two channel use while having the SPL and dynamics for HT.

If you want to go with a two system approach, you could get some nice speakers for two channel where you won't need the extreme dynamics you want for HT and pick up some cheap HT speakers like the ED or Chase offerings.

One person has both the chase SHO-10's and Geddes and the SHO-10's did very good against them, I bet they would do both great as well.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

You could try some Geddes loudspeakers. I haven't heard them but they get really good reviews and have excellent measurements. They are said to image very well and throw a very nice soundstage for two channel use while having the SPL and dynamics for HT.

If you want to go with a two system approach, you could get some nice speakers for two channel where you won't need the extreme dynamics you want for HT and pick up some cheap HT speakers like the ED or Chase offerings.

I think I'm gonna go the route of 2 systems. I think the JTR's for home theater would be absolutely incredible, especially for action movies. Movie night with the guys would be a blast lmao
post #33 of 67 Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

One person has both the chase SHO-10's and Geddes and the SHO-10's did very good against them, I bet they would do both great as well.

Yeah. I read his reviews. Makes me wonder how the Chase speakers would do against the JTR's. The Chase speakers are a lot cheaper than the Geddes and the JTR's. Have you heard the Geddes speakers? I've been thinking about driving down to Detroit to have a listen.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #34 of 67 Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

JBL, that's not a name I expected to hear for 2 channel music lmao. My JBL pro system was anything but subtle. I took them to a local club with a fellow DJ friend to see how hard we could rock the place. We were told to turn it down because the neighborhood was complaining (and this is a club!!!! NOT a residency!) and my ears were ringing for over 3 days straight. I had to take advil the next day because my ears and head hurt so bad. Now that's some seriously damaging SPL.

JBL has made many different speakers for different uses over time. They are part of the Harmon Group which also makes Revel speakers and there is sharing between the two divisions. JBL has made some excellent two channel speakers as well as pro audio and theater sound systems.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #35 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:

Yeah. I read his reviews. Makes me wonder how the Chase speakers would do against the JTR's. The Chase speakers are a lot cheaper than the Geddes and the JTR's. Have you heard the Geddes speakers? I've been thinking about driving down to Detroit to have a listen.

I would like to have a listen to the JTR's as well to compare to my SHO's. My gut tells me for HT the difference would likely be very small. Having lived with the SHO's for a while I have identified all their flaws. All minor, but I am looking to do better with my DIY build. Better driver, better CD, better waveguide, and active crossovers should = better sound. From a technical standpoint I should be able to better the Geddes design.
post #36 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

That's what I'm trying to do. Finding them to audition has proven to be a hell of a job in itself. One generous member on here pm-ed me telling me he owns the T8's if I wanted to take a listen and he's within an hour from me. I don't know how old his are, or if he got them prior to the improvements.

I have T8's with the new CD. Haven't heard earlier versions so no idea how much better they are.
post #37 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post

I have T8's with the new CD. Haven't heard earlier versions so no idea how much better they are.

I have owned originals and the newest version, they sound different! The new ones are much better even though the old ones were not bad, they were good. The new ones do everything better and also have more feeling to them.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #38 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anybody hear both the old and new JTR's before and after the improvements? I wonder how dramatic the transformation was.

With people looking into PA for their homes, I notice Danley mentioned quite a few times. I am surprised, however, I haven't seen anybody mention Meyer sound. Their speakers are like the hi-fi of the PA world.

On an un-related note, I have only seen a couple of broadway plays, but whatever the hell sound systems they use in their theaters, are the BEST I've ever heard. Clarity wise, power, punch, everything is incredible. One play (forgot which) had a sound of a freight train passing by. It sounded like a train was coming through the theater. You heard the metal wheels on the rails clearly, you can sense the immense weight of the train and the whole theater was shaking. Anybody know what sound set-up broadway uses? Lol
post #39 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dis-regard my last post MKtheater, I must have been typing it while you submitted your response lol.
post #40 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anybody hear both the old and new JTR's before and after the improvements? I wonder how dramatic the transformation was.

With people looking into PA for their homes, I notice Danley mentioned quite a few times. I am surprised, however, I haven't seen anybody mention Meyer sound. Their speakers are like the hi-fi of the PA world.

On an un-related note, I have only seen a couple of broadway plays, but whatever the hell sound systems they use in their theaters, are the BEST I've ever heard. Clarity wise, power, punch, everything is incredible. One play (forgot which) had a sound of a freight train passing by. It sounded like a train was coming through the theater. You heard the metal wheels on the rails clearly, you can sense the immense weight of the train and the whole theater was shaking. Anybody know what sound set-up broadway uses? Lol

This is how I feel with philharmagic at Disney world! The sound is just so live and realistic! I know what gear Disney uses but I don't know what is in that theater. You can feel yourself shake in the back row in a wheel chair. People told me it must be shakers and I said I was not in one of their seats! I know the sound you like, the best I can say is find out what they are using and see if it would even fit in your room! My guess would be line arrays or something like that and the Danley SH-50's are just that! If the BFM design speakers used internal crossovers they could be the ticket! I am going to see if crossovers were ever designed for them!

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #41 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lol yup, that is the sound I like for sure, and what you experienced at Disney sounds very similar to what I did on Broadway. I did so many searches on google to try and find out what sound system broadway uses in its theaters and couldn't find anything. I'd love sound like that! I don't think they are line arrays, I didn't see them if they had them, but they had typical designed speakers in 3's I noticed, all angled side by side to cover the room, 3 on the side, 3 more in the middle, and 3 more on the other side, along with speakers all on the sides of the theater and what seemed like subwoofers. They hide the speakers VERY well so its hard to see what they have.

Sorry to hear you were in a wheel chair, hopefully it wasn't for something serious.
post #42 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Lol yup, that is the sound I like for sure, and what you experienced at Disney sounds very similar to what I did on Broadway. I did so many searches on google to try and find out what sound system broadway uses in its theaters and couldn't find anything. I'd love sound like that! I don't think they are line arrays, I didn't see them if they had them, but they had typical designed speakers in 3's I noticed, all angled side by side to cover the room, 3 on the side, 3 more in the middle, and 3 more on the other side, along with speakers all on the sides of the theater and what seemed like subwoofers. They hide the speakers VERY well so its hard to see what they have.

Sorry to hear you were in a wheel chair, hopefully it wasn't for something serious.

Just a broken ankle. I am not talking home line arrays I am talking the wedge shaped pro audio arrays. I know Disney uses Ada gear but not sure on the speakers. I have the subs covered as well and the BFM speakers put out great sound but they need lots of work or EQ. My elite made them sound great but not their best. I am going to get Ada gear again and more DCX's to get them spot on!

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #43 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Maybe Audyssey can do magic with them lol.

LMAO imagine have a full line array set up in your house with a separate generator for the amp rack? That'll win most extreme home theater award I'm sure lol.

Yeah, that's exactly what I saw at Broadway, the wedge shapped arrays.
post #44 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe Audyssey can do magic with them lol.

LMAO imagine have a full line array set up in your house with a separate generator for the amp rack? That'll win most extreme home theater award I'm sure lol.

Yeah, that's exactly what I saw at Broadway, the wedge shapped arrays.

I thought it would be those arrays! You should look into Danley SH-50's, they are a single of the pro array type and all you need is a single per channel!

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #45 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wonder if that's what Broadway uses lol. I'll check em out. They gotta be expensive
post #46 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wonder if that's what Broadway uses lol. I'll check em out. They gotta be expensive

Yes, $4500 each but they do sell a smaller version for $2500 each. I have not heard anyone complain about them but have heard someone like his JBL cinemas just as good as the Danley demo, but they were not in the same room. I bet even some JBL 4722N's would impress! They are large though.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #47 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, $4500 each but they do sell a smaller version for $2500 each. I have not heard anyone complain about them but have heard someone like his JBL cinemas just as good as the Danley demo, but they were not in the same room. I bet even some JBL 4722N's would impress! They are large though.

The smaller ones are the SM60F http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/SYNER...MODEL=SM%2060F

Nice reviews on those and they have a coverage of 60 degrees compared to the more expensive SH50 flagship that has a 50 degree coverage. The FR drops like a rock outside their coverage range, so planning is more important than most speakers

50 degrees is tough for a lot of home applications which makes the less expensive SM60F not only cheaper but likely a better solution.
post #48 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/syner...?model=SH%2050

These guys right here lol. Damn they look impressive. Man, if I won the lottery, I'd build a theater that could house every AVS member and blow them all away lmao. There's just so much I wish I could do.

I'm so curious as to what Broadway uses, I'm about to go there and ask lmao
post #49 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/syner...?model=SH%2050

These guys right here lol. Damn they look impressive. Man, if I won the lottery, I'd build a theater that could house every AVS member and blow them all away lmao. There's just so much I wish I could do.

I'm so curious as to what Broadway uses, I'm about to go there and ask lmao

They're a unity horn - so point source for the entire bandwidth. Tom Danley says that they can faithfully reproduce a square wave (not an easy task) and that you can literally shove your head inside the horn and still not be able to pinpoint the sound as originating from the speaker .
post #50 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

WOW!!!! That's like sorcery! What makes a 50 degree coverage a challenge for a home application as opposed to 60 degree? I'm guessing the SH50 sounds better then the SH60F also, aside from being smaller/less SPL?
post #51 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

They're a unity horn - so point source for the entire bandwidth. Tom Danley says that they can faithfully reproduce a square wave (not an easy task) and that you can literally shove your head inside the horn and still not be able to pinpoint the sound as originating from the speaker .

Actually there a synergy horn which includes the low end within the horn, the unity is only HF and midrange within the horn.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #52 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Now there is a listening tip that I would love to try.

BTW, there is an SH-50 for sale in the Forum classifieds. I believe the owner replaced his Danleys and now has JTR Triple 12HT's.

Maybe it was just a case of a square wave, in a round hole ...

LMAO!!! Wow, who's the member? Are the JTR 12HT's really better for home use then the $4500 dollar Danley SH50's, or was it just more practical and cheaper? I got some questions for that guy
post #53 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, there is an SH-50 for sale in the Forum classifieds. I believe the owner replaced his Danleys and now has JTR Triple 12HT's.

Hey, JTR makes some sweet speakers, no doubt. But try sticking your head in one of those Triple 12's!...
post #54 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually there a synergy horn which includes the low end within the horn, the unity is only HF and midrange within the horn.

Yes, thx for correcting. Meant to write synergy
post #55 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LMAO!!! Wow, who's the member? Are the JTR 12HT's really better for home use then the $4500 dollar Danley SH50's, or was it just more practical and cheaper? I got some questions for that guy

When you're at the quality of the JTR/Danley/(insert other excellent Pro cinema speaker here), the differences are very small and the strengths and weaknesses are in different areas, so it comes down more to subjective preference than what speaker is better in the absolute sense.
post #56 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I always say there is a speaker for everyone. Sometimes homes just don't fit with certain type of speakers and others are great for it. Danley speakers won't be liked by everuone and the same goes for any speaker. I know a couple people who still prefer their Klipsch THX speakers over the Triple 8 they tried and others who like their SH-100's from Danley better than both. This is such a subjective hobby but it sure is fun! Everyone has a certain sound they are looking for. I know I like Disney's sound and I was reaching for it but of course my room is tiny in comparison so the challenge is hard.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #57 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
SeƱor Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Hey, JTR makes some sweet speakers, no doubt. But try sticking your head in one of those Triple 12's!...

Some would say my head is already stuck somewhere more personal...

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #58 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some would say my head is already stuck somewhere more personal...

Yes, I hear ya! My head has been there too and I still couldn't tell where all the bullsh*t was coming from. Maybe I have a Synergy Bunghole...
post #59 of 67 Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If 3 Triple 12HT's as L/C/R and 2 Submersive HP's can re-create what I heard on Broadway in my basement theater, ill be very VERY happy. And I'm guessing they certainly can lol.
post #60 of 67 Old 04-28-2012, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I haven't seen nor heard the smaller form factor, sealed Triple 12 LP's.

According to the specs the Triple 12HT-LPs are not smaller than Triple 12HT...same dimensions/weight. When I was considering Triple 8s the LPs made more sense because of the smaller form factor, but since the expense of stands will presumably be considerable, I now can't decide between Triple 12 HT & Triple 12HT-LP, which wouldn't require stands. And I can't decide if these speakers are overkill for me, since I'll be 8feet away from them.

What is the minimum wpc that is required from an amp/integrated amp to power the Triple 12HT-LPs?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page