Just ordered Klipsch Ultra2 THX; do they have quality or timbre issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jjackkrash

post #1 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered the Klipsch Ultra2 THX package based on impressive reviews and theater builds on AVS, such as Sandman's. (This package - http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system)

I emailed somebody who's a pro installer and he sent this back:

Quote:

True story, had a client who got a "great deal" on those very same Klipsch speakers. He had to spend $3500 on a QSC DSP 322ua to fix the problems associated with "those" speakers.

The speakers have a poor timbre match despite identical design. In essence, poor quality control of components (you get what you pay for). Something that is easily heard in playback... you have to spend a lot more to bring them up to par. You'll have to perform a nearfield analysis to determine whther the particular speakers you purchased have any timbre problems and which ones they are.

I had never heard anything like this on AVS or elsewhere. I tried googling, but all I could find was the opposite: people impressed by build quality, excellent timbre matching, and evenness of integration.

So I wrote him back and basically said, "Are we talking about the same speakers?" He wrote:

Quote:

Yes, those very same speakers. There were two speakers within the setup which were not timbre matched to the rest of the other speakers by a significant margin. We needed the QSC to fix the problem. The testing we do is not the testing they do in the magazines or the reviews. We test and compare those to the other speakers in the system. Two were problematic. We could only fix it with the QSC. Keep in mind as well, when was the last time you ever really saw a reviewer say something was not the greatest thing in the world for the money?

Now, of course, I'm worried about my purchase.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I feel like I'm in a parallel universe. Not sure how a $13,000 MSRP classifies as "you get what you pay for".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I owned them. No timbre issues that I could tell.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #3 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sounds like straight BS to me. I would love to know the exact nature of this special testing that this random installer does, but is not done by any other professional reviewers.
post #4 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I call BS also...enjoy your great setup. Klipsch would be out of business and if this was true it would be all over the boards. I would be worried about the installer giving this info.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So, rather than return the "two problematic speakers," they had to buy a $3500 processor to "fix" the speakers?
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

So, rather than return the "two problematic speakers," they had to buy a $3500 processor to "fix" the speakers?

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

The weird thing is that this pro is a well-respected contributor to AVS, and posts very frequently in the Dedicated Theater thread. But his responses here have made me seriously doubt his credibility.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Probably one of the best speaker systems I've ever owned. Don't worry, you will love them!
post #8 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If it makes you feel any better, you could post your message on the klipsch.com HT forum.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/5.aspx

I am sure that even more people there own the thx system and would be happy to give you some more input. It may even be entertaining.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I call BS as well, those speakers are highly regarded, and would be picked apart if they had such obvious issues. As far as this so called special testing... Doubt that there is anything special done, unless the installer is confusing room interactions with timbre matching issues.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 473
BS! The 2 speakers were bad. Mine were great and I had no problems. Don't worry and enjoy.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I have auditioned the speakers - you will be fine.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #12 of 20 Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post

Doubt that there is anything special done, unless the installer is confusing room interactions with timbre matching issues.

My thoughts exactly. I need to ask which "two" speakers. There are 3 different speaker types in the Ultra2 setup. Is his point that the (2) KL-525's sound different than the (3) KL-650's and the (2) KS-525's? If so, well... duh.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing stopping him from putting the system together with all KL650's if he's that sensative. If he's hearing anything, it's the room.

By the way, making sure you're aware that that system is available for a lot less than MSRP. My memory is in the neighborhood of 60% less? could be wrong there.

Construction Thread
post #14 of 20 Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Excatly! Being a custom installer myself, there is NO WAY I would spend $3500 (or more correctly have the customer spend $3500) to fix a problem that could be resovled by replacing the defective speakers. I have never heard of anything so rediculous!
post #15 of 20 Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

By the way, making sure you're aware that that system is available for a lot less than MSRP. My memory is in the neighborhood of 60% less? could be wrong there.

Yes, got a deal in that neighborhood for the complete setup.

I ended up cross-posting this to the Klipsch forums and got similar responses over there as well: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/160179/1695185.aspx

Seems room issues are the most likely culprit.... which if true, makes me wary of taking his other advice on how to design/treat a room...
post #16 of 20 Old 02-24-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Turn your room into a hobby! Spend some time reading around here and do the room yourself! It's fun, you'll learn something and you'll have something to truely be proud of!

Construction Thread
post #17 of 20 Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Turn your room into a hobby! Spend some time reading around here and do the room yourself!

I'm definitely doing the work myself... but the room doesn't exist yet (custom house) so I wanted to get some pro advice on sound isolation/acoustic treatments (in addition to the great advice already on AVS).

Nice build BTW!
post #18 of 20 Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand. "Pro" advice is more easily found here than most local business'. Don't like saying that, as I'm all for the little guy, but his response to the timbre deal illustrates the point.

Construction Thread
post #19 of 20 Old 02-24-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I understand. "Pro" advice is more easily found here than most local business'. Don't like saying that, as I'm all for the little guy, but his response to the timbre deal illustrates the point.

Yeah, unfortunately this pro is a very frequent contributor to AVS, and lots of people listen to his advice, hence the reason I felt like my brain was melting...
post #20 of 20 Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizl View Post

Yeah, unfortunately this pro is a very frequent contributor to AVS, and lots of people listen to his advice, hence the reason I felt like my brain was melting...

Are you sure you received bad advise?

I would suspect the AVS contributor you are referring to is a highly qualified calibrator and has experience with speaker systems exponentially more accurate/precise than the Ultra's with regard to frequency mapping.

With most audio components being manufactured in China, it's highly likely quality control could be suspect.......ie. frequency accuracy across all speakers in the room would not match precisely. Nothing a little eq-ing can do.......ie. QSC 322ua control for frequency/level matching, time/delay etc.

For high end home theaters, the QSC 322ua or Rave 922 are great tools for qualified calibrators............no harm no foul. Most home theater systems could use such tools.

I've had a listen to the Kipsch Ultra II system.........if purchase at the right price, an outstanding solution for a dedicated home theater system. If you want to take the Ultra's to a new height, I suggest at a minimum 2 QSC 322ua units for speakers and subs.

BTW, I've had a chance to listen to a Proaudio Technology system using 3 SCR 12sm screen speakers and 4 SCRS 8ai costing close to $60,000........the best system I've heard to date for movies. The Klipsch Ultra II system was not too far behind in quality sound IMHO. Of course, the rack amps associated with the Proaudio Tech's have internal DSP to help fine tune each speaker.................BTW adding the QSC 322ua to the Ultra II chain would be very similar in execution to the Proaudio Tech's system.

Good luck...........
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page