Help for Speakers after search - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello Guys,

Bought Denon 3313ci and KEF Q900's + Q600 + Q300 order has been placed biggrin.gif

I have been reading your forum reviews and bought a TV, and now it's time to buy a home theater system. I am looking for a system for my living room.I want to have a 5.1 eventually, but for now want to start with floor standing speaker and A/V receiver. My budget is $ 3000 for all three. I am attaching my living room floor plan. Looking at the floor plan do you think a floor standing speaker or full 5.1 system book shelf is good for me ? I am leaning towards floor standing speakers and will add subwoofer, center and surrounds later on. I will be using it for 30% dish, 40% movies and 30 % music.

I have shortlisted a few speakers by reading forums recommendations and your reviews, here's the list :

1> KEFQ900 + Q600 + Q300 (bought)
2> Salk Song towers

3> Philharmonic 2's 

Please recommend if you have any other speaker I should consider. I am open for used too. I know it is big list but I want your help to narrow it down according to what should be good for me. This will always be my living room HT system, please help me here.

A/V Receiver
Bought Denon 3313ci smile.gif

Out of these I have auditioned Martin logan playing on Integra 80.2, Kef Q700 playing on Marantz 7005 (900's were not available). I liked the ElectroMotion but reviews say they need more power to drive them and I am on budget here. Q700's sounded good to my ear. I also auditioned Klipsch and they sounded little on bright side. i really want good audiophiles sound, I hope you got idea of my taste.

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance
N
LL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Why the 4310 and not the 4311? Do you have a special deal lined up on the older model?
post #3 of 53 Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 PM

Liked: 12
Well for me I went with a Marantz SR6006 with Salk Songtowers and just waiting for Jim Salk to email me back with a finish I’m looking at, but my list was very close to yours and I got it down to Kef R300 speakers (1800.00 pair and a must listen to) and taking a chance on Songtowers and I went with Salk with all the love on the internet for them and how Jim Salk will talk to you directly about getting a pair of speakers (a very nice man) and then two SVS PB12-nsd subs which at the end of the year will make a full 5.1 system and I’m sure sound amazing.

Next after those two speakers for myself is Totem Hawks, which I just fell in love with but couldn’t find a pair for cheap enough with a Receiver and a sub under my budget so those will have to wait.

My best suggestion and you’ll hear it a lot is go out and find a sound that you love and stick with it before your ears go into sound fatigue and they all blend together and you get to confused with that sounds the best, I think that’s what happen to me so again I took a chance outside of my scope and got the songtowers.

I hope that helps a little bit.

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #4 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Why the 4310 and not the 4311? Do you have a special deal lined up on the older model?

I saw used one but can go with 4311, nothing special just cost. I am not sure what will suit my needs as I never bought reciever before.
post #5 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwaste View Post

Well for me I went with a Marantz SR6006 with Salk Songtowers and just waiting for Jim Salk to email me back with a finish I'm looking at, but my list was very close to yours and I got it down to Kef R300 speakers (1800.00 pair and a must listen to) and taking a chance on Songtowers and I went with Salk with all the love on the internet for them and how Jim Salk will talk to you directly about getting a pair of speakers (a very nice man) and then two SVS PB12-nsd subs which at the end of the year will make a full 5.1 system and I'm sure sound amazing.

Next after those two speakers for myself is Totem Hawks, which I just fell in love with but couldn't find a pair for cheap enough with a Receiver and a sub under my budget so those will have to wait.

My best suggestion and you'll hear it a lot is go out and find a sound that you love and stick with it before your ears go into sound fatigue and they all blend together and you get to confused with that sounds the best, I think that's what happen to me so again I took a chance outside of my scope and got the songtowers.

I hope that helps a little bit.

Thanks for you reply bitterwaste.

yeah i have located a dealer and will be going to listen Dynaudio, Focal, and Definitive this weekend and see how it goes. It is very hard as you can not audition Salk & philharmonic before you buy, heard lot of good things about those on this forum.

Thanks
N
post #6 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Please people who had opputunity to audition speakers out of my list can chime in will be great help. I am also not stuck on the model of speakers, it's just reference to that brand. Suggest anything in that price point. I have seen all the threads but they all have different requirements and different room sizes.

Thanks
N
post #7 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 AM

For that budget I would look at the Onkyo tx-nr809 for the AVR. For just the towers you might check out the Klipsch reference rf-7's as they truly excel with home theater. You could always piece later on with other speakers from the reference line later on.
post #8 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrax View Post

For that budget I would look at the Onkyo tx-nr809 for the AVR. For just the towers you might check out the Klipsch reference rf-7's as they truly excel with home theater. You could always piece later on with other speakers from the reference line later on.

Yeah I can have a look at Rf-7's too as I have not listned to those speakers. I was vey hard to make up my mind on those two receiver (denon or marantz) any reason you are suggesting onkyo. I will add amp when i buy surround's
post #9 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM

Liked: 28
I recently went through something very similar. In the process I listened to no. 1, 3, 4, 5 and 8 out of your list. In the end I'd pick no. 5 (Monitor Audio). I guess there is always a strong bias for the brand one ended up choosing, and clearly I am no exception.

Keep in mind that the AV7005 you mention, though it sounds great, has no power amp. I think after adding one, there probably would not be enough left in your budget for the speakers.

One piece of advice would be to burn a CD with music that you know well, and play that in your tests.
post #10 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoodhaliwal View Post

Yeah I can have a look at Rf-7's too as I have not listned to those speakers. I was vey hard to make up my mind on those two receiver (denon or marantz) any reason you are suggesting onkyo. I will add amp when i buy surround's

The reason I suggested the Onkyo is it offers what many consider to be best bang for your buck. The amplifier section is quite beefy and when bench tested the Onkyo's always do well. Aside from that you get THX certification, Audyssey MultEQXT, HQV Vida video processing, ISF video calibration, and many other things that are not found at this price point. Having said that I personally don't feel you can go wrong with Denon either. My recommendation would be the Onkyo 809 though.
post #11 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Ones I I have heard....

1> KEFQ900

3> Paradigm Studio 60's or 100's
4> PSB Image or T6

6> Golden Ear Triton
7> Dynaudio Excite X32

Ones I would own...
3> Paradigm Studio 60's or 100's (too many screws on the faceplate)
4> PSB Image or T6

6> Golden Ear Triton (great sound, but for the money I'd want a better finish then a sock)

7> Dynaudio Excite X32 (little light in the mids if memory serves)

One I bought
PSB Image or T6 - Best all rounder for my ears good looking with great sound to back it up. But really it's down to your ear and your pocketbook. Any of the ones I have heard I could live with.

PSB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw used one but can go with 4311, nothing special just cost. I am not sure what will suit my needs as I never bought reciever before.

If you want solid budget receiver, I'd look at the Denon 2112. It has MultEq XT, will Eq a Sub, and has nice networking features. It's street price in the U.S. is around $450 shipped if you shop in the right places and make a few phone calls.

If you think you want or might need preouts for a separate amp, you need to get into at least the 3312. It streets in the U.S. for about $800.

The 4311 is Denon's top of the line right now, has all the bells and whistles, has an excellent amp section, and has MultEQ XT32, which will allow you to Eq two subs independently. I have one of these and I thought it was a bargain when I bought mine new for $1500 or so (and I still think so), now I have seen them go for less than $1300.

I think any one of these receivers would work well for you, it just depends on your budget and what features you want or need.

The first few posts in this link explain the differences in the XX12 models.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369

You might also want to check out the last few weeks of posts in the 4311 thread as well.
post #13 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
You check around and you can get a great deal on Klipsch RF7 IIs. I have 3 across the front and enjoy HT/Music paired with my Denon A100 receiver

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #14 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaDelGato View Post

I recently went through something very similar. In the process I listened to no. 1, 3, 4, 5 and 8 out of your list. In the end I'd pick no. 5 (Monitor Audio). I guess there is always a strong bias for the brand one ended up choosing, and clearly I am no exception.

Keep in mind that the AV7005 you mention, though it sounds great, has no power amp. I think after adding one, there probably would not be enough left in your budget for the speakers.

One piece of advice would be to burn a CD with music that you know well, and play that in your tests.

Thanks for your reply. I will look into the features and compare, I really want to play music from iphone and pc. I was more inclined towards Denon reading review's. I read some where Onkyo had problem with some models. But good to know that marantz does not have power amp. Yeah I won't be adding amp right now. So is the list for my room ok soundage wise, I don't want neighbours knocking on my door..hmm maybe I want
post #15 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM

You can also get yourself a Pioneer VSX 1021 which goes on sale on Newegg commonly for $300 shipped. Use the pre-outs of the Pio & get yourself a B-stock Emotiva XPA5 200w / channel 5 channel amp that runs $800 shipped, same warranty as new & you can't tell any cosmetic difference. You got yourself a true 200W/channel amp/receiver combo for $1100.

As for speakers, I own the Kef Q900 & I like them a lot. Has all the bells & whistles, sounds great, accurate blah blah & I especially like the fact that it sounds good even at low volumes. Bass is also very good. Like others have said, you cant go wrong with either of your choices. I chose the Kefs for their UniQ drivers & the fact that all their Q speakers are front ported or at least didn't have any rear ports so placement is much easier with them.
post #16 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you want a receiver that does about everything and has excellent eq I would seriously look @ the Denon 4311. Can be found for around 1200.00. Check out the Denon 4311/A100 thread. Problem free receiver with all the bells and whistles

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #17 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

If you want a receiver that does about everything and has excellent eq I would seriously look @ the Denon 4311. Can be found for around 1200.00. Check out the Denon 4311/A100 thread. Problem free receiver with all the bells and whistles

I'd second the 4311 and it sounds like you meant the sr7005 by marantz. But for minimally more the 4311 would be my choice. And speakers are very subjective so like mentioned I would listen as much as possible.
post #18 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebook23 View Post

Ones I I have heard....

1> KEFQ900

3> Paradigm Studio 60's or 100's
4> PSB Image or T6

6> Golden Ear Triton
7> Dynaudio Excite X32

Ones I would own...
3> Paradigm Studio 60's or 100's (too many screws on the faceplate)
4> PSB Image or T6

6> Golden Ear Triton (great sound, but for the money I'd want a better finish then a sock)

7> Dynaudio Excite X32 (little light in the mids if memory serves)

One I bought
PSB Image or T6 - Best all rounder for my ears good looking with great sound to back it up. But really it's down to your ear and your pocketbook. Any of the ones I have heard I could live with.

Yeah have to listen to PSB. I think it is just in my mind how less expensive speakers are better than expensive one's, as if I might miss something . I know the main cost is in fancy cabinet but psb have decent one's. Looking at lot of members are recommending sounds like they are real good for money. Thanks point noted.

Quote:

If you want solid budget receiver, I'd look at the Denon 2112. It has MultEq XT, will Eq a Sub, and has nice networking features. It's street price in the U.S. is around $450 shipped if you shop in the right places and make a few phone calls.

If you think you want or might need preouts for a separate amp, you need to get into at least the 3312. It streets in the U.S. for about $800.

The 4311 is Denon's top of the line right now, has all the bells and whistles, has an excellent amp section, and has MultEQ XT32, which will allow you to Eq two subs independently. I have one of these and I thought it was a bargain when I bought mine new for $1500 or so (and I still think so), now I have seen them go for less than $1300.

I think any one of these receivers would work well for you, it just depends on your budget and what features you want or need.

The first few posts in this link explain the differences in the XX12 models.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369

You might also want to check out the last few weeks of posts in the 4311 thread as well.

Yeah I will definitely give it a read. I am looking for future proof receiver and don't want to upgrade in near future. Looks like 4311 is the way to go, I will keep an eye on any deals. Any place you recommend. I might go with accessories4less cheap and warranty can not beat that as members here say.

Quote:

You check around and you can get a great deal on Klipsch RF7 IIs. I have 3 across the front and enjoy HT/Music paired with my Denon A100 receiver

Yeah I have added them my list, will try to audition them this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post

You can also get yourself a Pioneer VSX 1021 which goes on sale on Newegg commonly for $300 shipped. Use the pre-outs of the Pio & get yourself a B-stock Emotiva XPA5 200w / channel 5 channel amp that runs $800 shipped, same warranty as new & you can't tell any cosmetic difference. You got yourself a true 200W/channel amp/receiver combo for $1100.

As for speakers, I own the Kef Q900 & I like them a lot. Has all the bells & whistles, sounds great, accurate blah blah & I especially like the fact that it sounds good even at low volumes. Bass is also very good. Like others have said, you cant go wrong with either of your choices. I chose the Kefs for their UniQ drivers & the fact that all their Q speakers are front ported or at least didn't have any rear ports so placement is much easier with them.

Yeah I thought of that but I need bells and whistles. I might add Emotiva later when I add center, surrounds and sub.

Yeah I will listen to Q900's, great speakers in my budget. should I buy Q30's or Q40's instead ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

I'd second the 4311 and it sounds like you meant the sr7005 by marantz. But for minimally more the 4311 would be my choice. And speakers are very subjective so like mentioned I would listen as much as possible.

yes sir added to my list actually top of my list
post #19 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Yeah I thought of that but I need bells and whistles. I might add Emotiva later when I but center, surrounds and sub.

Yeah I have to listen to Q900's too.

In that case the VSX 1121 is the top of the line Pioneer receiver also with pre-outs. It has all the bells & whistles you could ask for and then some. It is the same as their Elite model 53 I think.

Either way, good luck with your decision.
post #20 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post

In that case the VSX 1121 is the top of the line Pioneer receiver also with pre-outs. It has all the bells & whistles you could ask for and then some. It is the same as their Elite model 53 I think.

Either way, good luck with your decision.

sorry was editing my post i added this comment. Added your suggestion in my list.

Yeah I will listen to Q900's, great speakers in my budget. should I buy Q30's or Q40's instead ?
post #21 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Check the 4311 thread for Authorized best price right now. As far as the RF7IIs I purchased 3 for front stage for 2750.00 shipped to me. Not bad since they list for 1500-1600 each. Sound Seller is where I purchased. IMO you would have a awesome setup going that route. Great for HT/Music I upgraded quite a bit until I put together this system. No regrets

post #22 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

The 4311 is an excellent piece of electronics. Here is a link where some deals can be found from authorized resellers:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1388717

I generally use Electronics Expo and have had good luck with them in the past. You can also call sales at this cite and J&R Electronics and see what they'll do for you.
post #23 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Check the 4311 thread for Authorized best price right now. As far as the RF7IIs I purchased 3 for front stage for 2750.00 shipped to me. Not bad since they list for 1500-1600 each. Sound Seller is where I purchased. IMO you would have a awesome setup going that route. Great for HT/Music I upgraded quite a bit until I put together this system. No regrets

yeah added RF7II's to my list and thanks for the info.

Quote:

The 4311 is an excellent piece of electronics. Here is a link where some deals can be found from authorized resellers:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1388717

I generally use Electronics Expo and have had good luck with them in the past. You can also call sales at this cite and J&R Electronics and see what they'll do for you.

Thanks will call as soon as I finalize my system
post #24 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 336
At that price range you might want to take a look at the Aperion Versus Grand Tower
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...67,89,802.aspx

At least you get real wood veneer or a deep piano black lacquer finish, plus they have been getting great reviews.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #25 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Never hear dthe Verus from Aperion. But have had 3 633Ts across the front and 3 6Ts across the front. To my ears and families the Klipsch sounded better, clearer.

post #26 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I'm in the process of upgrading everything in my HT, just waiting to see some evals of 2012 Panasonic plasma displays before I start robbing banks. I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing the 65" VT50, I'm almost decided on the Salk SoundSeries speakers and HSU sub, but I know without a doubt that the 4311 will be in my equipment rack. IMO there are no other contenders.

post #27 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

The OP has to be getting pretty excited. I know I would be, he's got of lot of great options in this thread.

Now, OP, let us know when you are ready for a sub or two, I love helping other people spend money, especially on subs.
post #28 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The OP has to be getting pretty excited. I know I would be, he's got of lot of great options in this thread.

Now, OP, let us know when you are ready for a sub or two, I love helping other people spend money, especially on subs.

LoL yeah excited but list is getting bigger instead of getting smaller

I guess sub has to wait....or we will see
post #29 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

I'm in the process of upgrading everything in my HT, just waiting to see some evals of 2012 Panasonic plasma displays before I start robbing banks. I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing the 65" VT50, I'm almost decided on the Salk SoundSeries speakers and HSU sub, but I know without a doubt that the 4311 will be in my equipment rack. IMO there are no other contenders.

I heard they are great speaker bad I cannot audition hope you were close by :P
post #30 of 53 Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Oh yeah subs check out the SV PB 13Ultra...yes let us know what you end up getting. I too like to spend others money. Seriously though once the HT bug bites that's it. I think maybe I am done except for another Ultra sub, 6 Klipsch RB 81IIs for heights and wides, new projector and that's after spending 25k already. Wow what a great hobby. Should of just been a alcoholic and sit in the bars all afternoon.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page