Should I change my 7.1 to a 5.1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and did a search but couldn't really find anything that fits my question.

My media room consists of a Epson 8700UB projector and Da-Lite screen with SpeakerCraft speakers and a PSB subwoofer.

My room is by no means a perfect theater room (no 100% light control, or wall-to-wall dark carpeting, etc) but it works for my setup. It is currently a 7.1 setup. I have my FL, FR, and Center channel speakers in the wall directly below my projector screen and the SL, SR, SBL, and SBR in the ceiling.

Now because of the way the room is shaped and where I have my couches situated, the SL and SR speakers are actually in front of the seating area, rather than behind it. The SBL and SBR are however behind the couch. My family really doesn't want to move the couch closer to the screen to make the 4 speakers all end up behind the couch so I am wondering if you guys would recommend I change my 7.1 to a 5.1 setup. To do this, I was considering taking the current FL and FR speakers (in the wall below the screen) and making them additional center channels. I would then have 3 speakers connected to my Yamaha Aventage RX-A710's center channel. I would then switch the SL and SR to make them FL and FR and change the current SBL and SBR to SL and SR.

I have included some pictures to better explain what I'd like to do. What do you guys think of this? Any recommendations from the pros?

Thank you so much!
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-26-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Yes.

The Side surrounds in a 5.1 are suppose to be beside you or slightly behind you. You are sitting behind the side surrounds so you have no surround effect. Stick with 5.1 using the speakers behind you as the side surrounds.

As for your front speakers you want to use the inwalls as your front speakers as you want speakers that FACE you.

So you will be using the front 3 in-wall speakers(as Left, Center, and Right) and the speakers behind you as side surrounds.

Those middle speakers you can use as a zone 2 set-up to play back ground music if you like when not watching movies but otherwise they are useless and shouldn't be used
post #3 of 8 Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehan View Post

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and did a search but couldn't really find anything that fits my question.

My media room consists of a Epson 8700UB projector and Da-Lite screen with SpeakerCraft speakers and a PSB subwoofer.

My room is by no means a perfect theater room (no 100% light control, or wall-to-wall dark carpeting, etc) but it works for my setup. It is currently a 7.1 setup. I have my FL, FR, and Center channel speakers in the wall directly below my projector screen and the SL, SR, SBL, and SBR in the ceiling.

Now because of the way the room is shaped and where I have my couches situated, the SL and SR speakers are actually in front of the seating area, rather than behind it. The SBL and SBR are however behind the couch. My family really doesn't want to move the couch closer to the screen to make the 4 speakers all end up behind the couch so I am wondering if you guys would recommend I change my 7.1 to a 5.1 setup. To do this, I was considering taking the current FL and FR speakers (in the wall below the screen) and making them additional center channels. I would then have 3 speakers connected to my Yamaha Aventage RX-A710's center channel. I would then switch the SL and SR to make them FL and FR and change the current SBL and SBR to SL and SR.

I have included some pictures to better explain what I'd like to do. What do you guys think of this? Any recommendations from the pros?

Thank you so much!

I would just take your SL&SR speaker wires and connect them to the SBL&SBR speakers and not use those two speakers in front of you. Otherwise take a look at the Dolby and DTS websites and look at how a 7.1 system should go in. Then plan on cutting 4 new holes and plugging your 4 current holes.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #4 of 8 Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My sides are ever so slight in front of my main row. It's bugged me, but I had no choice. I have compromised by setting them about 4db less than my rear surrounds. I feel it works pretty well. The rears help pull the sound behind. That, plus the sides being dipole helps.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #5 of 8 Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I would just take your SL&SR speaker wires and connect them to the SBL&SBR speakers and not use those two speakers in front of you. Otherwise take a look at the Dolby and DTS websites and look at how a 7.1 system should go in. Then plan on cutting 4 new holes and plugging your 4 current holes.

Thanks for responding. Are you saying I should connect the SL and SBL together and put them into the SBL channel on the receiver and then do the same with the right side also? I guess I don't understand the part you said about "not use those two speakers in front of you". If I was connecting them to the other speakers, wouldn't they still be used, just for the SBL/SBR channels instead of the SL/SR?

Thank you!
post #6 of 8 Old 02-26-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Thanks for responding. Are you saying I should connect the SL and SBL together and put them into the SBL channel on the receiver and then do the same with the right side also? I guess I don't understand the part you said about "not use those two speakers in front of you". If I was connecting them to the other speakers, wouldn't they still be used, just for the SBL/SBR channels instead of the SL/SR?

Thank you!

No, justq drop to a 5.1 system. You would no longer be using your SBL or SBR outputs on your receiver. Nor would you be using the two ceiling speakers in front of you. You should at least try in that way since the two fronts are completely out of position.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #7 of 8 Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:

Thank you!

I believe what lowell is suggesting, is not use the surround L and R as they are located in your set up. Instead, connect the SL and SR from the receiver to the SBL and SBR speakers and not use the SBL and SBR from the receiver.

So, you are using a 5.1 set up and employing your SBL and SBR as your SL and SR, can you dig it?

I must say, your basement is one KICK A** looking area! I could really do well with my set up in your basement. Any chance of doing a time share?

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #8 of 8 Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys. This makes a lot of sense!

I will do that. Thank you for the compliments Geoff! I do want to do a complete overhaul of the room at some point and make it a proper home theater setup, but just am not sure where to start and what I would need to do. The current setup in regards to speaker placement is from the previous owner of the home and although it works for the most part, I'm always left feeling that I'm missing out on the potential of the room as a true HT setup.

Oh well, maybe being on this forum will fill in all the huge gaps I have in knowledge of proper HT setups.

Thank you everyone!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page