Mixing Klipsch Icons with Reference Series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted this question in the Klipsch forum but haven't receive a response to to it yet and I'm going to pick my center up today. Please forgive the rush.
Hear is a copy of my question.

Wonder if I can get some assistant from some fellow avsers here. I recently purchased a pair of Icons KB-15 for my mains. My old htib center doesn't cut it now and I'm looking to purchase a new center. The only Klipsch speakers available near me are the Icons and the Reference series. I was looking to purchase the RC II 42 center. My question is it will this center pair well with the Icon series. My room is roughly 12 x 13 so and I would be sitting about 8 ft from the center.

Also If anyone can answer in my research I cant figure this but what is the difference between the reference series and the synergy series? Prices seem to be the same from what I could tell. Hate to keep you reading but I found a pair of S1 surrounds on Craigs for a 130. Called him up and he would take 100. Is this a good deal. In his post he said they are S1 but puts a link to the Klipsch site for the S10.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/ele/2867466878.html

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Well the Reference series is definitely better than the Icon series but I wouldn't mix the front 3.

You could buy the reference bookshelves and center for the front 3 and use the Icon bookshelves as the rear. Its ok to mix front and rear speakers but I wouldn't mix different speakers in the front. The imaging and timbre match won't be the same.

Shawn
Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

I also forgot to mention that the icons will eventually move there selves to the rear as I continue to upgrade. I am planning on purchasing new towers for the front but the deal on the icons where to good that I picked them up and they replaced my crappy towers. I would have the icons for mains for about 6 more months. Is the timbre mathing so bad that I wouldn't enjoy the movie? I've always had mixed center to mains but that was with piece meal parts from old htib setup so I'm use differences in sound quality. But since now I'm stepping it up to better quality is the timbre match going to be so off for the next 6 months that I will hate it. FYI there will be very little music played. Mostly movies and games.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
If your only going to have it setup that way for 6 months then go ahead. But if you get the Reference series center then make sure you get Reference series towers for your front L&R when you finally upgrade.

Also if you have the room and money I would seriously consider the RC62 or even the RC52 center.

Shawn
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

If your only going to have it setup that way for 6 months then go ahead. But if you get the Reference series center then make sure you get Reference series towers for your front L&R when you finally upgrade.

Also if you have the room and money I would seriously consider the RC62 or even the RC52 center.

Agreed 100%. Go big save for the 62 then you could save for rf82's for mains and be more timeless. Bare in mind I am a big fan of do it once and do it right.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I appreciate the response to my questions and I am indeed going to getting the Reference tower speakers. I did end up purchasing the RC42. I demoed all 3, 42,52,62 at the store with various movies and had the salesman swap speakers for me. I did not notice a difference in between the 42 or 52. Only reason I could tell when the sound swapped between them is because one was on the left and the other on the right. The 62 on the other hand was a beast. I could definitely tell that between the other 2. I would have loved to get the 62 but space is limited and so is my budget. Planning on having a baby this year and the towers will be my gift to myself before we go poor. I agree with the poster saying doing right the first time but right its not in the cards. Thanks again for the help.