Looking to Spend $3k-$5k on a LCR---Suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Time for an upgrade. I currently have Infinity Beta 40s with a C360 center. Also have a LCR setup of Sierra-1s that I thought were going to replace my Betas. Wrong!...they just don't wow me anymore like they did when I first got them. That's why I'm back to my Betas. For my budget I would like something that beats them hands down.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite SC-35 and a Harmon Kardon AVR 3600 so I'm not looking to replace either of them. Probably just gonna box up my Sierras for a rainy day. I don't want any speakers that will require an external amp.

Looking to fill up a 20x20 room.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the setup will be used for 90% HT and 10% Music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Any size requirements? HT or Music?
post #3 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Salk SongTowers or Philharmonic 2's. Also check out Dynaudio, Revel and Kef.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #4 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Added that they are to be used chiefly for HT. I've looked at Salk before was interested but they wife didn't like how they looked...go figure!
post #5 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 PM
NBR

You should look into Pro speakers like JTR. The Klipsch THX Ultra2 is another good option. These would be amazing for home theater. Just not sure it can fit your budget and not sure if you'll need more power to push them than what you have. Might want to look into what eD's Cinema speakers design for home theater. Unfortunately, there is a lack of reviews on these due to the fact that it's still new.
post #6 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR View Post

You should look into Pro speakers like JTR. The Klipsch THX Ultra2 is another good option. These would be amazing for home theater. Just not sure it can fit your budget and not sure if you'll need more power to push them than what you have. Might want to look into what eD's Cinema speakers design for home theater. Unfortunately, there is a lack of reviews on these due to the fact that it's still new.

Those would have been my top 2 recommendations as well, but if the wife does not like the look I think the Dynaudio suggestion is a good one along with the Paradigm Studio 100's.
post #7 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

What sub/subs are you using?
post #8 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
a suggestion

paradigm studio 100's

studio cc-690 center

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #9 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Focal Electra
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-38930-f...eakers-pr.aspx

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-38940-f...l-speaker.aspx

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #10 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 158
More important than room size for LCR is distance from the speakers. It doesn't matter if your room is 100' x 100' if you're only 10' from the speakers. Unlike subwoofers, the LCR does not need to pressurize the room. It only needs to get the sound to your ears at the levels you want.

If WAF said no to the Salks, pro speakers may also be out of the question as well as they were not meant to look pretty, just to perform. I would second Revel Concerta series if you're not too far from the speakers. They are very nice, but aren't terribly efficient. I have the Performa F52s and am about 9' from them. I am able to run them off a Denon 4311 to very high volumes.

Martin Logan's electrostats also sounded exceptional to me, but require both speaker wires and an outlet near each of them. Not sure how they would do in a HT environment though. I haven't heard any speaker in that price range that sounded anything close to Revel or ML. My experience is very limited though.
post #11 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 02:22 PM

Liked: 22
Not sure anyone else will second this but IMO the Aperion Grand Verus series are great speakers and should have a high WAF.
post #12 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Brandon, I noticed in your "Journey" thread that you dismissed the Aperion Grand Verus, but I'm not sure whether you actually auditioned them. These were pretty high on my radar before I [am pretty sure I've] decided on Salk SoundTowers, but I'm curious whether you had any previous experience with them.

Thanks in advance.

post #13 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Salk SongTowers or Philharmonic 2's. Also check out Dynaudio, Revel and Kef.

Agree with Nuance on this and also check out Kef R series of speakers as well!

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #14 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Go with high sensitivity!

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT

Peter

post #15 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

Also have a LCR setup of Sierra-1s that I thought were going to replace my Betas. Wrong!...they just don't wow me anymore like they did when I first got them.

Just curious-do your Sierras have the NRT upgrade?

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #16 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Brandon, I noticed in your "Journey" thread that you dismissed the Aperion Grand Verus, but I'm not sure whether you actually auditioned them. These were pretty high on my radar before I [am pretty sure I've] decided on Salk SoundTowers, but I'm curious whether you had any previous experience with them.

Thanks in advance.

Yes sir, I did hear them, but obviously it was a ways after I had purchased the Salks. I made the right choice, though, as the Verus Grand were a little sloppy down low and had a grainy mid range to my ears. It's all about tonality/timbre accuracy and detail for me, and while the Verus do a lot right they came up short in those areas. They are still a good value, just not as good as the Salks, which is why I still own them. I've yet to find better for the money. YMMV, of course.

post #17 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Go with high sensitivity!

I agree since we are talking about a system that is 90% HT and 10% music. The Klipsch THX Ultra2 is a good option. If we can help you give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #18 of 83 Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

More important than room size for LCR is distance from the speakers. It doesn't matter if your room is 100' x 100' if you're only 10' from the speakers. Unlike subwoofers, the LCR does not need to pressurize the room. It only needs to get the sound to your ears at the levels you want.

Except the walls raise the sound power in the room. The reflections increase the overall volume a lot...like 3dB I suspect. 100 foot room would have those reflections decaying a lot.
post #19 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmm after looking the wife has also disapproved of the Klipschs. Trying to talk her into the Salks. She likes the looks of the Focals but is that site an authorized dealer?

Using two Outlaw LFM-1 Pluses right now as for subs. And the Sierras do not have the NRT upgrade.

Also do you guys think a DIY design would be more for the money and better than any of the above listed?
post #20 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm after looking the wife has also disapproved of the Klipschs. Trying to talk her into the Salks. She likes the looks of the Focals but is that site an authorized dealer?

Using two Outlaw LFM-1 Pluses right now as for subs. And the Sierras do not have the NRT upgrade.

Also do you guys think a DIY design would be more for the money and better than any of the above listed?

If your wife is that sensitive about looks, DIY is probably not the best option unless you are very good with DIY projects

What about the Paradigm Studio 100's? Or the Golden Ear tower?
post #21 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

Yes

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #22 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post

Except the walls raise the sound power in the room. The reflections increase the overall volume a lot...like 3dB I suspect. 100 foot room would have those reflections decaying a lot.

Understood, but if you are getting boundery gain for your mains I would think you need acoustic treatments since you will not want those reflections getting to you to distort the sound. Some reflections are desirable, but not if they are adding an additional 3dB of volume. That's just my thoughts. I could be entirely off on that train of thought though.

Quote:

Hmm after looking the wife has also disapproved of the Klipschs. Trying to talk her into the Salks.

DIY usually will give you better quality for the same money or same quality for less money. Unless you are REALLY good at wood working, you may still have WAF issues from the sounds of it. I know my simple sub build is not a thing of beauty, but it should outperform many retail subs out there.
post #23 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

If your wife is that sensitive about looks, DIY is probably not the best option unless you are very good with DIY projects

^ This. If she didn't even like the look of Salk's stuff she certainly won't like DIY. I doubt any DIY design could match the beauty of some of these professional cabinet makers. Unfortunately it seems you'll have to purchase based on looks rather than sound, which is a real shame. I let my wife pick the veneer, but I pick the speakers.

post #24 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
What about the Paradigm Studio's? They should be within your budget, and are fairly efficient. Also, make sure you show your wife what these look like with the grills on lol.
post #25 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Fronts: www.lockwaresystems.com/t900f-121-239.html
Center: http://www.lockwaresystems.com/T1000C-117-235.html
High Quality Pictures: http://swanspeakers.com/products/pro...&cmenu=gallery

Review: www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1396991

You stated you already had 2 subs, The T1000's are the same as the T900s except have integrated subs. Unless your getting rid of your current subs, then opt for the T900's.

If she doesn't like the way these look then good luck xP.

Please tell me what happened in this night.
It's like the cat inside the box.

You don't know if the cat in the box is dead or alive.

The cat in the box was dead.
post #26 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Without knowing what the criterion is for the WAF (if any), it is difficult to make any recommendations without shooting from the hip. This process could take a long time indeed. Is the room in a basement and effectively your man-cave? If so forget the WAF. If however in a shared space like a living room or rec room, then unfortunately WAF comes into play.

For value and performance it is very difficult to beat the Golden Ear Twos or even Threes. The comparative weak link (if considered such) would be the CC.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
post #27 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

^ This. If she didn't even like the look of Salk's stuff she certainly won't like DIY. I doubt any DIY design could match the beauty of some of these professional cabinet makers. Unfortunately it seems you'll have to purchase based on looks rather than sound, which is a real shame. I let my wife pick the veneer, but I pick the speakers.

When I got my JTR Triple 8's recently I warned my wife the base finish might be a bit rustic and suggested she choose a finish. Her response was to get the base finish since "all speakers are ugly anyway".
post #28 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok talked to the woman and I've talked her into the Studio 100s, Golden Ear Twos, Swans and the Focals.

She likes the look of the Swans. What would be the best pick of them all...although I'm sure that I couldn't go wrong with either!
post #29 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Jeez, why do women hate speakers so much? Anybody have a spousal unit that actually enjoys this hobby as much as their partner?
post #30 of 83 Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Jeez, why do women hate speakers so much? Anybody have a spousal unit that actually enjoys this hobby as much as their partner?

One in million, maybe two....
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page