Need some help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My living room is pre-wired for an HT audio system and there is a plate on the wall with inputs for all the pre-wires. The pre wires for all 5 speakers are in an 11'6" trayed ceiling...is this to high to mount speakers or can I just angle them downward?

Not sure if I want to go ahead and get a 5.1 system since I'm just starting out and that may be over budget, but I'm not sure, so I was thinking about getting a receiver that would allow me to start out with a sub and 2 bookshelf speakers for a 2.1 setup and then upgrade to a 5.1 or 7.1 setup later on. But, if a 5.1 setup can be done in my budget, would it be better than going with a 2.1 setup?

That being said, which receiver would be best for this? Should be able to handle 7.1 in the future. Also, what kind of bookshelf speakers and sub should I be looking into? I've heard good things about ONKYO receivers, but don't know much about speakers and subs. Doesn't need to blow the neighbors away, just want a good entry level set up to get some good HT sound. Trying to stay aunder $500 for everything.

Thanks for the help!

Projector - EPSON 8350
Screen - DIY BOC 120" Fixed Screen
AVR - Denon 1612
Speakers - PolkAudio Monitor 60's
Sub - Coming soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 636
$500 is going to be difficult even for a 2.1 setup, and a 7.1 receiver will make it even more difficult. For instance, a budget sub that most people recommend is the BIC F12. Then an entry level receiver will run you over $200 unless you buy refurbished. Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer are good brands to consider. People often recommend building an entry level system out of Polk Monitor speakers from Newegg. Newegg typically has sales each week on Polk, so join their mailing list. Or, a lot of people like the Pioneer 5.0 set available at BestBuy. Read more about it in the owners thread.

post #3 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I would suggest you try to get a decent receiver for $300 and a pair of speakers that are big enough to give you some bass for $200-300.

I suggest the Denon AVR-1611, which is $300 on Amazon. I couldn't honestly recommend a cheaper receiver, because you won't be satisfied with it for long, and then you have wasted money.

For speakers, I recommend the Monitor Audio M1 speakers. These will work pretty well without a subwoofer and are only $198 per pair at one website I know of.

Those should do the job nicely until you have $200-300 for a subwoofer. They have a 5.5 inch woofer and are rated to go down to 55 Hz. They also sound a lot better to me than anything else I have heard for anywhere near the same price.

The el cheapo speaker "sets" you can buy for $300 or less are pure crap. The tiny speakers don't put out any power to speak of without distorting, and the so-called "subwoofer" is a joke. Those sets are total crap, as anyone who has owned one can tell you.

Buy 2 decent front speakers, then a subwoofer, then 2 more matching speakers. That way you don't buy a bunch of worthess crappy-sounding junk that will just have to be replaced later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetater11 View Post

My living room is pre-wired for an HT audio system and there is a plate on the wall with inputs for all the pre-wires. There are two pre wires at the font corners of the room and three in the back above where the couch is, one on each corner and one in the middle. Looking at how 5.1 systems are set up, it looks like the center channel should be in the front of the room centered with the TV, so why is there three pre wires in the rear of the room?? Also, the pre wires for all 5 speakers are in an 11'6" trayed ceiling...is this to high to mount speakers or can I just angle them downward?

Not sure if I want to go ahead and get a 5.1 system since I'm just starting out and that may be over budget, but I'm not sure, so I was thinking about getting a receiver that would allow me to start out with a sub and 2 bookshelf speakers for a 2.1 setup and then upgrade to a 5.1 or 7.1 setup later on. But, if a 5.1 setup can be done in my budget, would it be better than going with a 2.1 setup?

That being said, which receiver would be best for this? Should be able to handle 7.1 in the future. Also, what kind of bookshelf speakers and sub should I be looking into? I've heard good things about ONKYO receivers, but don't know much about speakers and subs. Doesn't need to blow the neighbors away, just want a good entry level set up to get some good HT sound. Trying to stay aunder $500 for everything.

Thanks for the help!

post #4 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 146
You sure they didn't put the tv on the opposite wall than you which is why there are 3 wired boxes there and only 2 the direction you are looking?
post #5 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

You sure they didn't put the tv on the opposite wall than you which is why there are 3 wired boxes there and only 2 the direction you are looking?

EDIT: There are three prewires in the front and two in the back, as it should be. Sorry about that, question answered.

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #6 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! Is there a comparable ONKYO receiver to the Denon one you mentioned?

Also, I need a receiver no matter what, so I guess my question now is would it be better to get a 5.1 setup or 2.1 setup for the same budget since I already have pre-wires for 5.1?

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #7 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 239
The Onkyo 609 seems to be the comparable model, but it seems to be going for about $90 more, and I don't think it is significantly better than the Denon AVR-1611.

I still suggest 2.0 , then 2.1, then 4.1, then 5.1.

The minimum cost for any decent 5.1 receiver and speakers is around $1000 IMO. Buy quality at each step so you don't buy anything that won't be part of the final system.

$500 now for the receiver and 2 decent speakers, then the subwoofer, then the rear speakers. Add a center speaker last if desired.

There is no way to get a decent receiver and 5.1 speakers for $500; it ain't gonna happen! If you try, you will have a crap receiver and crap speakers, and guess what it will sound like? One guess...lol.

Quote:

Thanks for the input! Is there a comparable ONKYO receiver to the Denon one you mentioned?

Also, I need a receiver no matter what, so I guess my question now is would it be better to get a 5.1 setup or 2.1 setup for the same budget since I already have pre-wires for 5.1?

post #8 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Actually the onkyo 509 is the competitor to the 1612. It is the lowest model to include Audyssey processing. Their specs are pretty even. The onkyo 609 is on par with the Denon 1912.

Ignore the previous post. HT is not cheap, but it's all relative. You can build a HT system for around $500 you may be happy with it. The key there is YOU. Commsysman needs to understand not everyone has his budget and standards.

That onkyo 509 is $239 new. You can find refurbs or used cheaper if you so desire.

For starters, how big is this room and is the primary purpose music or movies?

Do you want floorstanders or bookshelves?

Some examples:

You could pair the Jamo S606 package from Vanns for $399 and add a sub later. Those towers have 8 inch woofers so you could make due for awhile. That's $140 over budget, but an idea.

There are lots of great sounding bookshelves for $200-$300 a pair. You could go with that receiver and a 2.0 setup such as Hsu HB-1s, Energy RC10s, Cambridge audio S20s, NHT superzeros, etc. add the rest as you get funding.

It's a great hobby. Enjoy it. Research it. Have fun with it. Don't think that you have to spend a fortune to get good sound. There are lots of bang for the buck options. Granted, the more you pay, the better the quality, but that is true of just about everything.

post #9 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I agree with cjsiv...too often, people on this forum will make you feel like you stupid if you don't have the money for a high end, or even mid level end system. Buy what you can afford based on your own ears, decide what you like or don't like about it and then when you are ready to upgrade, you will already know what things/sounds you want to add!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #10 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the input guys, really appreciate it. I'm learning more every minute!

The set up will be in my living room which is 14' wide...as far as depth, it's an open floor plan so if youre standing at the tv looking out into the living room, you can see all the way through the kitchen which goes about 35' back, however the couch sits about 14' from the TV.

As far as bookshelfs vs tower speakers...I really don't have a preference since I do like the look of towers on either side of a screen, but I wouldn't mind putting bookshelfs on the wall or floor either. What's the difference between the bookshelfs and towers? Looks like the obvious difference is just more actual speakers in a tower?

Primary purpose is for movies and TV, but I do listen the radio on occasion.

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #11 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Towers tend to fill a room that size with sound easier. I would probably go with towers if it were me, but that's just a suggestion.

post #12 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

Towers tend to fill a room that size with sound easier. I would probably go with towers if it were me, but that's just a suggestion.

Any other towers you'd recommend within my budget? Someone earlier mentioned Polks.

Also, what are the main differences between the 609 and 1912? 609 is a bit cheaper.

And wht do I gain going from the 509 to the 609?

Sorry for all the questions. I would do a side by side comparison of them myself, but I don't have the experience to tell the differences.

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #13 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 147
You can often get the Polk Monitors from New egg for a damn good price
M50s as low ar $89/speaker
M60s for as low as $119/speaker
M70s as low as 149/speaker
Just can sign up for New Egg email alerst to when those speakers are on sale (I have a set of the Polk M40s for a bedroom set up and while they won't be "the best you ever heard"...a very good speaker for the dollar!)

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #14 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Best to check the onkyo website. I'm more of a Denon person myself. Basically a little more power, more inputs, thx select 2, networking. Etc.
Accessories4less has refurb Denon 1612 for $219 and 1912 for $299. Those would be my first choice on your budget. IMO there are too many quality issues with onkyo but each have their own preference.

I would look at the Polk monitor 60 or 70. Can be had for $240 & $300 pr respectively.

The Andrew Jones designed Pioneers are $199 a pair at newegg right now too. Not the best looking but they get good reviews.

Or the Jamo S606 5.0 pkg for $399.

Food for thought.

post #15 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Best to check the onkyo website. I'm more of a Denon person myself. Basically a little more power, more inputs, thx select 2, networking. Etc.
Accessories4less has refurb Denon 1612 for $219 and 1912 for $299. Those would be my first choice on your budget. IMO there are too many quality issues with onkyo but each have their own preference.

I would look at the Polk monitor 60 or 70. Can be had for $240 & $300 pr respectively.

The Andrew Jones designed Pioneers are $199 a pair at newegg right now too. Not the best looking but they get good reviews.

Or the Jamo S606 5.0 pkg for $399.

Food for thought.

I see the 1912 for $399 here: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...Airplay/1.html

Where did you see it for $299?

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #16 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry. My mistake. That was the 1911 refurb for $299. Last years model minus AirPlay.

post #17 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry. My mistake. That was the 1911 refurb for $299. Last years model minus AirPlay.

Ahh, got it. Thanks

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #18 of 20 Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And it's $300 for those towers with center and rears at BestBuy (see my post above). Seems worth it to get all 5 over the $200 for the towers. Then get a receiver and save up for the sub when you can afford it.

post #19 of 20 Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

And it's $300 for those towers with center and rears at BestBuy (see my post above). Seems worth it to get all 5 over the $200 for the towers. Then get a receiver and save up for the sub when you can afford it.

I do like the ones at BestBuy but with the way my living room is set up, I'd have to mount the rear ones on the ceiling, as there's no place to put them on a shelf behing the couch since that area is into the kitchen and from what I see those rears look like they are bookshelf style correct? Like they wouldn't be able to be mounted to the ceiling?

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #20 of 20 Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I do like the ones at BestBuy but with the way my living room is set up, I'd have to mount the rear ones on the ceiling, as there's no place to put them on a shelf behing the couch since that area is into the kitchen and from what I see those rears look like they are bookshelf style correct? Like they wouldn't be able to be mounted to the ceiling?

I'm not very familiar with mounting options. Ask the people in the Pioneer owners thread. Maybe someone there has found a solution for mounting those bookshelves. Here's a link to search results for that thread for term "mounting."

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page