Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello all,
I am helping a friend put together a 5.1 for his den. We have it narrowed down to these 2. Small speakers are a must. I have heard both, and have been super impressed with both. ( although I heard the paradigm with the the Millenium sub and thought it was overpriced and would probably go with a different sub.) The Forcefield sub that was with the Goldears I thought sounded superb.
For a small lifestyle 5.1, are these the best one is going to get for sound?

Thx for your thoughts, preference, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-29-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi,

If you are talking about the Goldenear Supersat 50's, then they are hardly small - do you mean the Supersat 3's?

Bazzy!
post #3 of 7 Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi,

If you are talking about the Goldenear Supersat 50's, then they are hardly small - do you mean the Supersat 3's?

Bazzy!

Yes , sorry thats what I meant. The superstat 3s

Thx
post #4 of 7 Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
tough call, both are good systems. I own the M1's so I am familiar with their sound, and the Supersats are very good too.

The Supersats have slightly better dynamics but are overall less neutral than the Millenias, they have a slightly warmer sound and they have superior detail owing their their unique tweeter without sounding harsh or too hot. I enjoyed my audition when I heard them, they sounded more expensive than they are. I really like that they have a very transparent sound to them (lots of detail, don't sound congested), they sounded a lot like their big brother speakers, very effortless sounding (as long as you don't push them too hard)

However, the one things I don't like about them, they start to roll off around 150Hz according to the measurements at hometheater.com, and that means you should cross them over at a very high 160-180Hz, which is in the range where bass starts to be localizable. Make sure the sub is up to snuff....this is not a problem if you match them with a good small sealed sub like an SVS SB12 which comfortably extends up to 200Hz.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #5 of 7 Old 02-29-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

tough call, both are good systems. I own the M1's so I am familiar with their sound, and the Supersats are very good too.

The Supersats have slightly better dynamics but are overall less neutral than the Millenias, they have a slightly warmer sound and they have superior detail owing their their unique tweeter without sounding harsh or too hot. I enjoyed my audition when I heard them, they sounded more expensive than they are. I really like that they have a very transparent sound to them, they sounded a lot like their big brother speakers, very effortless sounding (as long as you don't push them too hard)

However, the one things I don't like about them, they start to roll off around 150Hz according to the measurements at hometheater.com, and that means you should cross them over at a very high 160-180Hz, which is in the range where bass starts to be localizable. This is not a problem if you match them with a good small sealed sub like an SVS SB12 which comfortably extends up to 200Hz.

Thx warpdrive. Just out of curiosity, what subwoofer did you get with the m1s?
post #6 of 7 Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Thx warpdrive. Just out of curiosity, what subwoofer did you get with the m1s?

I'm using the M1's with a Velodyne Microvee. I also have a SVS SB12Plus

My main recommendation for a sub for the M1 would be the Velodyne Minivee (high quality sealed 8" for a desktop setup) or SVS SB12-NSD for a home theater setup. Both integrate well with the M1s

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #7 of 7 Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

I'm using the M1's with a Velodyne Microvee. I also have a SVS SB12Plus

My main recommendation for a sub for the M1 would be the Velodyne Minivee (high quality sealed 8" for a desktop setup) or SVS SB12-NSD for a home theater setup. Both integrate well with the M1s

Thx for the input!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page