Ascend Sierra Towres or Mirage OMD-28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-03-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi,

I am looking to spend up to $3-4k for a home theater speakers (60% HT/40% music). I own the Mirage OMD-5 and was thinking of adding the OMD-28 and OMD-C2 but am also considering the Ascend Sierra Towers NRT, Center and Sierra-1. Both systems would cost me around $3,500.

I like the Mirage sound but also like traditional speakers. Each speakers has glorious reviews. Anyone heard both?

I am thinking of buying the Sierra-1s to listen, and if I'm not fully convinced I can send them beck and buy the OMD-28 (which should sound like bigger & better OMD-5s). I like the fact the OMD-5s are easily wall mounted... it's not as easy to use Sierra-1 as surrounds.

Thoughts? Other suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

Hi,

I am looking to spend up to $3-4k for a home theater speakers (60% HT/40% music). I own the Mirage OMD-5 and was thinking of adding the OMD-28 and OMD-C2 but am also considering the Ascend Sierra Towers NRT, Center and Sierra-1. Both systems would cost me around $3,500.

I like the Mirage sound but also like traditional speakers. Each speakers has glorious reviews. Anyone heard both?

I am thinking of buying the Sierra-1s to listen, and if I'm not fully convinced I can send them beck and buy the OMD-28 (which should sound like bigger & better OMD-5s). I like the fact the OMD-5s are easily wall mounted... it's not as easy to use Sierra-1 as surrounds.

Thoughts? Other suggestions? Thanks.

Since you own the OMD-5 you should give the Sierra 1's a try & compare in home. I did likewise ...albeit with the NrT version against my Energy RC's which BTW share similar drivers to your Mirage speakers and opted not to retuen the Sierras and I eventually sold the RC's. I have since upgraded to the Sierra Towers and I'll soon be adding STC....

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #3 of 4 Old 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I agree about demo'ing the Sierra-1...

I will add that comparing the OMD-5 to the Sierra isn't really a fair comparison though... Having owned both, I think the Sierra is a much more capable speaker. And the OMD-28 is going to perform way beyond the OMD-5.

In other words, I don't think an OMD-5 vs Sierra comparison is really going to tell you a whole lot with regard to the OMD-28 vs Sierra Tower.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks. I agree that the OMD-5 isn't a great proxy for the OMD-28. I am guessing the Mirage set up would provide better soundstage, bass, and movie experience while the Sierra speakers would excel in the music department with better separation, tonality, and detail.

It would be great if someone has compared the two (or even against the lesser OMD-15).

Thanks.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page