Need suggestions, First REAL Home Theater system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the title states, This is going to be my first real Home Theater system. I'll list what I have currently, and what I still need. I'm looking for suggestions for a A/V receiver Side/Front speakers and a sub. (they really need to put in a forum for newbies asking such questions)

Right now I have the following

Yamaha HTR-6140 5.1 525W A/V receiver
Polk Audio TSi200 Bookshelf speakers(pair)
I also have a sub, but it's blow so it's going to need replacing anyways.

One question that I have to ask is, I'm in an apartment building and the TSi's seem to provide more than adequate sound output for my place. The amount of sound output isn't a large deal since there's barely anyone ever here, So I've been thinking of getting TSi400's or 500's to use as my front speakers, and to use the TSi200's as Surround Back and Left. I'm wondering if i'd just be wasting money upgrading to the 400's or 500's, or if they would actually be a good fit. These speakers sound the best to me, at the price range i'm looking at for speakers, they also sound the best in my apartment compared to any others I have tried.

My second question is, I'm looking for a new sub to pair with these speakers that will give the best sound match, but while offering FAR more power than my old sub, yet still providing clean, non-distorting bass at much higher levels.(Old sub is 100w yamaha, can't even turn it up without distortion/clipping) Bass will have to sound natural, Frequency response between 15-17 HZ to 150-250 HZ. The wattage will also have to be between 200-400. I haven't found a sub I like, since most of the audio stores around here don't have them setup properly, or placed properly. I need suggestions on what to look at that would match.

My last question is, I need a new A/V reciever/amp. The one I have works fairly well, sounds good but when the volume is turned up there is a large amount of popping/distortion going on in the speakers/sub and it sounds better at lower volumes anyways. range is -80db to +16db, and I can only listen to it at about -45 to -40db before the distortion/popping begins. I don't mind the new one being 7.1 or 5.1 I can always buy another pair of speakers to make full utilization of 7.1. I can spend around 400-500$ on the amplifier(I can spend more if it's worth it, it'll just take me another 2 months to get the money). Must have at least 3 HDMI inputs, and one HDMI output(as this is used with HT Gaming PC and a PS3) Wattage isn't too big of a deal, but I guess if im looking for a new one, it might as well be around 1000W's so that when paired with sub it'll be about 1200W-1300W output. The only stipulation I have on the A/V receiver is that it sounds natural as well, When listening to music such as violin or piano, I can close my eyes and could literally swear there was a piano/violin right next to me, that's how clean/clear it sounds at lower volumes.

I know it's a bit of a read, but I really don't have too many options in the stores here, and most setups aren't setup ideally, or even on carpet flooring(which is what I have) so they sound completely different. Thanks in advance, seemed like the most logical thing for me to do would be to register and ask on a forum, Since most of you have been doing this for years and have far better knowledge about pairing speakers/subs and what's the best A/V receiver for the money.

One last point, I'm willing to spend up to 600$ on the subwoofer and between 400-500 for the amplifier(though I can easily go up to 700 if it's worth it). In the end if I stick to my budget, my system should be worth around 2200 for a 7.1 setup, or 1900 for a 5.1 setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigsx View Post

One last point, I'm willing to spend up to 600$ on the subwoofer and between 400-500 for the amplifier(though I can easily go up to 700 if it's worth it). In the end if I stick to my budget, my system should be worth around 2200 for a 7.1 setup, or 1900 for a 5.1 setup.

Room size?

Sub at that budget the Rythmik FV12, Epik Legend, HSU VTF-2 Mk4 and Outlaw LFM plus subs are all highly regarded and fit in that budget.

You should be able to find quite a few AVRs in the $400-$500 range that would be more than adequate. Especially if you find close outs or refurbs.

If you like the sound of the Polks then go for it. You might be able to get something nicer by going with bookshelf speakers since you'll have a nice sub.

Hopefully you'll get a few more replies.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Interesting, you live in an apartment and want >

1) a sub that goes down around 15-17 hz
2) a receiver around 1000 watts

So, with the receiver and sub - you want around 1300 watts(+)?

Final question - are you mad at the neighbors and owners?

I would put money towards good sounding speakers - the receiver
with whatever power, can not make weak speakers sound natural.
There are decent refurbish receivers at AC4L
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

Good Luck!

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 03-07-2012, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Room size?

Sub at that budget the Rythmik FV12, Epik Legend, HSU VTF-2 Mk4 and Outlaw LFM plus subs are all highly regarded and fit in that budget.

You should be able to find quite a few AVRs in the $400-$500 range that would be more than adequate. Especially if you find close outs or refurbs.

If you like the sound of the Polks then go for it. You might be able to get something nicer by going with bookshelf speakers since you'll have a nice sub.

Hopefully you'll get a few more replies.

The room I'm in is roughly(can't find tape measure right now) 23 feet by 12 feet. Though this isn't necessarily as important as I'll be moving in about a year to a much larger place. I'm kinda buying for the future since I have the money now and if I don't spend it before I move(going to be out in the country) Getting things like a home theater is going to be a hassle. My new place will have a very large finished basement with the dimensions of 26 feet x 20 feet. So it should sound very similar to my setup right now having the same carpeting and rectangular shape, even the ceiling material is the same.

I was thinking of looking at B-stock A/V receivers, because normally their prices are quite a bit lower yet still have warranties, and im not opposed to having design flaws if it gets me a good price).

Basically what you're saying is stick with the bookshelves because once I get a nice sub, everything should fit together really well? Those subs are looking pretty good, even if the lowest response is 20, I was just interested in lower because of all the video games I play, sounds regularly go that low. But if I have to sacrifice 3-5 HZ to get a really good sub, it's not a big deal. (not like you can hear lower than 20ish Hz anyways, just feel it.

The only problem with the subs that you suggested is the one im considering getting after reading specs and reviews is that VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer, problem is as I'm in Canada they don't offer shipping here, Can't seem to find anywhere else that supplies it. Though I see that the Outlaw is able to be delivered, though it's the LFM-1 Plus, is there a big difference? Or will I be seeing roughly the same performance/quality.

I've been considering getting transducers as well for night-time viewing on days that im home, since they reproduce the vibrations in a localized area(aka underside of the couch) Though I have no idea how I would even go about setting those up for a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system. Do I have to get a separate amp or receiver, how exactly do most people do it? If I was to get transducers, They would need to be installed on a large 3 cushion couch but can't seem to figure out what ones would suit that application best. I'd likely only need 2, maybe 3 for this purpose(couch is about 7 and a half feet long).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Interesting, you live in an apartment and want >

1) a sub that goes down around 15-17 hz
2) a receiver around 1000 watts

So, with the receiver and sub - you want around 1300 watts(+)?

Final question - are you mad at the neighbors and owners?

I would put money towards good sounding speakers - the receiver
with whatever power, can not make weak speakers sound natural.
There are decent refurbish receivers at AC4L

Good Luck!

I work at night, and I have about 7-8 hours during the day in which no one is home. Everyone in my place is up and gone at 7am till about 3-4pm. I'm also on the basement floor and only have one neighbor above me, no one around or beside me. So I can already crank my system pretty loud(before the A/V gave way). So to answer your question, no I don't hate my neighbors. I'm just taking advantage of the fact that no one is in the building for 7-8 hours each day.

And again, if you have any suggestions for Bookshelf/floor standing(need at least 2 bookshelf for back surround, and 2 floor standing for front left/right) I'd be happy to hear them, I can still return these speakers, or just use them as a stereo in my bedroom.

Thanks for the link as well, I'm looking at some of the receivers right now, I know alot of Onkyo and Denon A/V receivers are held in pretty high regards, so I've been leaning towards those. The receiver doesn't necessarily have to be 1000W's I'm just thinking that with 5-7 speakers rated at 150-175W's I need a A/V with similar ratings to get the best performance. The one I have now is 105W per channel, but my speakers are also rated to get much higher than that, and If I decide to upgrade speakers in the future, I've got an A/V receiver that can handle it. I'm probably going to have to buy locally though, unless I can get free shipping. The cost of shipping is easily 200$ on some of the A/V receivers, so simply buying locally with that extra 200$ would likely yield better results.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
You should definitely go with this Onkyo TX-NR807 for $500 if you want a beastly amp section. Most lower end receivers claiming 100 wpc are complete BS, that Onkyo is pretty legit with its 135 wpc claim, and the fact that it can handle 4 ohm loads proves it's a quality amp. For a sub I'm going to suggest the Outlaw LMF-1 Plus. It's pretty much identical to the HSU VTF2, except it has a more powerful amp. I think you would prefer a good ported sub over sealed (Epik), from how your post reads. As far as your speakers go, i dont recall seeing a budget in there for that portion? Anyway, I dont think you will benefit much from upgrading your mains, unless you went with the RTiA7's , due to the true 3-way TMWW configuration. Then you would need a CSi A6 center.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

I've been going around town today, and I've found two places that offer free shipping on a few A/V receivers(they don't have a warehouse locally), one has ONKYO TXNR609B and the other has the Harman Kardon AVR2650. (can't link yet, not enough posts.) These A/V receivers are under 1000$ and seem to have quite a bit of power since I was able to listen to them in the store.

I am at a loss however since these both sounded quite good to me in comparison to others I tried. Since this is all new to me, I really have no idea what would be the better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

You should definitely go with this Onkyo TX-NR807 for $500 if you want a beastly amp section. Most lower end receivers claiming 100 wpc are complete BS, that Onkyo is pretty legit with its 135 wpc claim, and the fact that it can handle 4 ohm loads proves it's a quality amp. For a sub I'm going to suggest the Outlaw LMF-1 Plus. It's pretty much identical to the HSU VTF2, except it has a more powerful amp. I think you would prefer a good ported sub over sealed (Epik), from how your post reads. As far as your speakers go, i dont recall seeing a budget in there for that portion? Anyway, I dont think you will benefit much from upgrading your mains, unless you went with the RTiA7's , due to the true 3-way TMWW configuration. Then you would need a CSi A6 center.

I don't have too much of a budget on my speakers, so long as they're not over 300$ each, I was considering just getting another 2 pairs of these TSi200's or another TSi200 and then a nice front l/r channel speakers probably similar to the ones you linked.

Would a TSi CS10 or CS20 be a decent choice if I decided to get the RTiA7's? Only asking because they're on sale right now locally(60% off) and I didn't really consider going that high for speakers unless I was really going to see a difference. If not, I can always save up for the more expensive front speakers/center and just use the TSi's as my back speakers. The TSi500's are also on sale now and I've been considering those as front speakers as well. Since they're in the same family the sound should match up nicely.

All in all from what it seems my setup would be similar to this

4x TSi200's (surround speakers for 7.1)
2x RTiA7 or possibly TSi500(front left/right)
1x Outlaw LFM plus Subwoofer
1x Onkyo TX-NR807 (Anyone tried the Harman Kardon AVR2650? I like the way it looks and would buy if similar quality)

Now, If I was to throw Transducers into the mix, What ones would best suit this setup? Also, is there any other equipment required to run them, such as a second Amp or A/V receiver?

My budget is very loose on most of this, since im making 2500$ a month and im barely spending 1100 on bills/rent/food. But I do want to kind of stay under 2500 if possible because I need to replace a TV, computer parts and I'm also moving in about 10 months, Just want that spare cash incase any surprises happen in the first year.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Where are you located? shipping should only be around $50 for that TX-NR807 in the lower 48. The 807 is a little older, but it is a much higher quality piece of electronics then what you're looking at. It is definitely worth it to spend the little extra for shipping to get the 807.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Where are you located? shipping should only be around $50 for that TX-NR807 in the lower 48. The 807 is a little older, but it is a much higher quality piece of electronics then what you're looking at. It is definitely worth it to spend the little extra for shipping to get the 807.

Canada, shipping across the border is a pain with duties and just general shipping costs as well. 600$ item will run me about 60$ in taxes, and then another 170ish(depending on weight) in shipping costs. So unless there's free shipping it's not worth it.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
check this retailer and this retailer. They have a good selection and offer free shipping on pretty much anything.

cheers
Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

How does this Pioneer compare to the Onyko and Harman Kardon that I've mentioned? Or the Onkyo TX-NR807 that Jay1 has mentioned?

I have an old SX-3500 that I absolutely love, I still use it today and it's worked perfectly except for 3 capacitors that needed replacing. Rated at 20W per channel, but you could swear it was at 50-60 by todays standards. Sounds amazing compared to most of today's stereo receivers. Especially when comparing digital/analog, even crappy quality music(128 mp3's) sound really good on this thing. Warm, Rich, Balanced sound with the option for quite a bit of bass if needed.

Was just wondering if Pioneer still has the same quality in their products as they did 30 years ago?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:

How does this Pioneer compare to the Onyko and Harman Kardon that I've mentioned? Or the Onkyo TX-NR807

Receivers can be a matter of preference and choice. The Pioneer Elite
is nice. I do prefer Marantz, and they do a good job with power handling
in surround mode. I prefer Marantz over Harman Kardon. Your choice
http://www.gibbyselectronicsupermark...06-p-6703.html

You seem to like Polk, I am not a big fan - however, I prefer the RTi series
over the TSi series - a nice step up. If money is tight - then I would save
to get a matching RTi center, to timbre match with the front channels.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Receivers can be a matter of preference and choice. The Pioneer Elite
is nice. I do prefer Marantz, and they do a good job with power handling
in surround mode. I prefer Marantz over Harman Kardon. Your choice
http://www.gibbyselectronicsupermark...06-p-6703.html

You seem to like Polk, I am not a big fan - however, I prefer the RTi series
over the TSi series - a nice step up. If money is tight - then I would save
to get a matching RTi center, to timbre match with the front channels.

Yeah, A/V reciever seems to be one of the harder ones for me to pick out. Most of the shops around here only have a few setup, and then again not setup for my ears the way I like things to sound. I like a bit more bass, and I hate receivers that put out too much treble. Hurts my ears, I hear hissing, buzzing. Picking good speakers for it helps alot, but in the end I can still hear it on some. The 5 Channel Enhancer on my current A/V receiver does a WONDERFUL job of making fully enveloping surround sound from stereo inputs as well, sound is rich, full of bass on every channel, and there is no audible noises(hissing, buzzing) in the background while it's on, even when it was cranked.

I'm not an Audiophile, But I do know what I like, and I like high quality music without buzzing or hissing, Most of my music is Flac audio to avoid this common problem with 320 mp3's. Since my A/V receiver will be attached to my PC, using Direct, or Straight options(Even most of the Surround sound options) on the A/V produces some undesirable sound quality(kinda tinny, no bass). I expect any A/V I buy to have settings such as this 5 Channel Enhancer to make it sound proper.

With my Current setup the surround sound is amazing, But since the A/V is popping/hissing at louder volumes I need to replace it.

I spent weeks looking at new speakers, my buddy works at the best buy here and he gave me floor models/open boxes to take home and try out before buying. I also got a few from another store to try out. Polk was the one I decided on out of all of them. I guess everyone has their preferences, I may look at the RTi's, but I honestly don't know if I'm going to see a huge difference with them compared to what I have. I can always upgrade 3 years down the road anyways. These speakers should still sell for quite a bit if well cared for, and can put that towards new ones.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Canada, shipping across the border is a pain with duties and just general shipping costs as well. 600$ item will run me about 60$ in taxes, and then another 170ish(depending on weight) in shipping costs. So unless there's free shipping it's not worth it.

Yeah sorry, not really sure where to get good deals in Canada HK and Onkyo historically have had better amp sections then other receivers, so get the best you can find from either of them.

As for speakers, yes I do think the RTiA7's will be a noticeable upgrade, where as TSi500's might not be. You can always add the CSiA6 center now, and then in a few months get the RTiA7's, and move your TSi's to surround.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
I have a set up similar to the one you're about to build.

Onkyo TX-NR807, RTiA9, CSiA6, Monitor70, Monitor40, Epik Empire.

The 807 has been an awesome receiver for me. I wouldn't get the CS10 or 20 if you get the A7's, you won't be happy.

The Monitor line is identical in performance to the TSi line so, CS20 = CS2, TSi500 = Monitor70.

I started with the Monitor line and have been upgrading to the RTiA line----huge upgrade---

Even thought the Polks are easy to drive, they do like power, and even though the 807 packs a punch, I have two amplifiers, a 2ch and 3ch. The 2ch is 300w driving the mains, the 3ch is 200w driving the center and surrounds. The onk drives the wides.

IMO, my system is pretty awesome. Of course, I stay out of the high end threads and just look the other way

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

I have a set up similar to the one you're about to build.

Onkyo TX-NR807, RTiA9, CSiA6, Monitor70, Monitor40, Epik Empire.

The 807 has been an awesome receiver for me. I wouldn't get the CS10 or 20 if you get the A7's, you won't be happy.

The Monitor line is identical in performance to the TSi line so, CS20 = CS2, TSi500 = Monitor70.

I started with the Monitor line and have been upgrading to the RTiA line----huge upgrade---

Even thought the Polks are easy to drive, they do like power, and even though the 807 packs a punch, I have two amplifiers, a 2ch and 3ch. The 2ch is 300w driving the mains, the 3ch is 200w driving the center and surrounds. The onk drives the wides.

IMO, my system is pretty awesome. Of course, I stay out of the high end threads and just look the other way

Good call. You have a really nice setup, no need to be misled by audiophools hyping up their $1k 5.5" 2way based setup. You would have to spend big bucks, or go DIY to move up.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If your looking for something fairly cheap and sounds great I have a similar set up to what your looking for and it all came in under $1500.
Onkyo TX-709
Polk Monitor70 II's
Polk TSI100's rear
Polk Cs10 center
Klipsch RW-12d

I bought it all as a living room setup knowing I'm going to buy an all out theater setup in the near future and was very impressed. I bi-amped the fronts, coming from a 7.1 system I decided a clean 5.1 sounded better. I also bought a supercube 2000, Klipsch SW-450, and Klipsch RW-12d at the same time to see what worked best for me and found that a properly set up RW-12 was better the the other two, at least in my house. Just test stuff out and see what you like.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Onkyo TX-NR807 looks like it'll be the amp I get, seems alot of people are happy with it, even my uncle has one.

As for the speakers and sub, Outlaw and RTi's if they're going to be a significant upgrade, definitely going to need to get a matched center speaker.

Setup will be as follows

1x Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus
1x Onkyo TX-NR807
2x RTi A7
2x TSi200
1x CSi A6

One question I have about all this though, 7.1 vs 5.1 setups? I'm currently at 5.1, I like it. But most of the games/movies I play do have support for 7.1. Would it be better to go for a 7.1 system? Or just stick with the tried and true 5.1. I have the capability to get 7.1 setup and running, just wondering I should waste the money on extra speakers.

Bi-Amping is another thing I've been seeing alot of, What does it take to get Bi-amped, I'm not going to have to buy 2 A/V receivers will I? Is it even worth doing on my system? If I get the RTI's for my front's, how much will I benefit from Bi-amping it? Is there any way to do this without spending another 500-600$ and instead maybe cut it down to 200-300? Would having two amps allow me to run 2 transducers in addition to my 5 speakers?

I know i've got alot of questions, but I'd rather make sure I'm getting a good system that will last me years, instead of just throwing money away on something that's not high quality, or that's going to crap out in a year or two.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One question I have about all this though, 7.1 vs 5.1 setups? I'm currently at 5.1, I like it. But most of the games/movies I play do have support for 7.1. Would it be better to go for a 7.1 system? Or just stick with the tried and true 5.1. I have the capability to get 7.1 setup and running, just wondering I should waste the money on extra speakers.

A good 5.1 is definitely the way to go, less speakers to drive.

I do a 7.1 and have two power amps. Another thing to consider is the amount of content that goes to the 7 part of a 7.1.

Your choices with the 807 are; Rear surround, Wide surround and Height surround. I've tried them all and the most content seems to be utilized by the Wides. Talk about widening your sound stage, this does it.

Regardless of which configuration you go with; 5 or 7, the RTiA's like power. You don't have to get an external amp, but it sure is nice. I can crank the heck out of my 9's in two channel or with a movie.

If you like to crank it, consider an amp. If you don't like to crank it, no need. It's all about the head room, you don't want be clipping your speakers if you're cranking them while under powering them.

A system like mine is going to last me. These RTiA's are my second upgrade and my last for a long while (speaker wise).

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Old 03-07-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, bi-amping? I have an Emotiva amp connected to my AVR, the speaker cable goes from the amp to the speaker, no bi-amp, just a significant amount of power.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Onkyo TX-NR807 looks like it'll be the amp I get, seems alot of people are happy with it, even my uncle has one.

As for the speakers and sub, Outlaw and RTi's if they're going to be a significant upgrade, definitely going to need to get a matched center speaker.

Setup will be as follows

1x Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus
1x Onkyo TX-NR807
2x RTi A7
2x TSi200
1x CSi A6

Bi-Amping is another thing I've been seeing alot of, What does it take to get Bi-amped, I'm not going to have to buy 2 A/V receivers will I? Is it even worth doing on my system? If I get the RTI's for my front's, how much will I benefit from Bi-amping it? Is there any way to do this without spending another 500-600$ and instead maybe cut it down to 200-300? Would having two amps allow me to run 2 transducers in addition to my 5 speakers?

I know i've got alot of questions, but I'd rather make sure I'm getting a good system that will last me years, instead of just throwing money away on something that's not high quality, or that's going to crap out in a year or two.

Biamping isn't necessary. Receivers don't really get much more powerful then that 807, so if you aren't satisfied with the output after your setup is complete, then you should look into an external amp.

7.1 can help in huge rooms, it isn't something you should bother with unless you find 5.1 surround to lack in some way.

The setup you have listed above will be very nice, and should satisfy you for years to come.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Bi-amping isn't a simple tweek, see, e.g.:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm#basics

"Bi-amping" is for independently powering different components in the same speaker, like tweeters, mid-range drivers and woofers, like in a Seaton Catalyst:

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...erview-3044980

Simply running power from two receivers to the same speaker isn't the same thing as bi-amping and it won't do anything for you.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Bi-amping isn't a simple tweek, see, e.g.:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm#basics

"Bi-amping" is for independently powering different components in the same speaker, like tweeters, mid-range drivers and woofers, like in a Seaton Catalyst:

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...erview-3044980

Simply running power from two receivers to the same speaker isn't the same thing as bi-amping and it won't do anything for you.

Thats an active crossover, in which you actually need a seperate amp for each section. Using multiple amps with a passive crossover is universally called "bi-amping", and yes it dosent really do anything.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thats an active crossover, in which you actually need a seperate amp for each section. Using multiple amps with a passive crossover is universally called "bi-amping", and yes it dosent really do anything.

I'm not sure we agree with the "universality" of the term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-amping

But we do agree that what the OP was referring to--whatever the semantics--is a waste of time.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Was just wondering about the bi-amping because the TSi's I've gotten have the capability to do so.

Now finally, I really think transducers attached to my couch will be ideal for nighttime listening/viewing on my days off work. Turn the sub down, Turn the transducers up. Is there anything specific I need to drive those? They don't seem to need alot of power(most are rated between 25-100W)

http://www.amazon.com/Aura-AST-2B-4-...1163434&sr=8-2

These seem to be highly rated and have a fair price, I'm wondering if I'd just be able to buy a 100W Subwoofer amplifier, box it up nicely and power them with it, or would I need to get two 50W sub amps? I can Solder if it's necessary. It's going to be concealed in either my coffee table, or right under the couch itself depending on how big it is(I've got a good foot of space to work with underneath my couch)