Energy CF70 vs. Polk Monitor70 vs. Infinity P362 Floorstander, what's a better deal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a relatively small room that I want to supercharge 12.5 X 10 X 8 = 1000 cubic feet. Music 60%, Movies 40% usage. I'm upgrading from Polk Monitor 40s, CS2, Monitor30s and a HSU STF-2 subwoofer. My former system sounded great for what it was, I retired it another room. Now that I have a bigger budget, I want to get substantially better sound and more impact by getting floorstanders. I will be driving these with a Pioneer VSX-1121-K Thx receiver, will be running in 5.1 mode. I have biamping capability with this receiver so that option is on the table.

What I would like to know, if anyone can put some input, is what kind of "sound quality" I can expect from these 3 setups. Particularly which setup will sound cleaner and more detailed for the money. If anyone can compare what each system sounds like compared to each other, please leave some comments, thanks.

Options:

----------------------------------

Infinity Primus System(via crutchfield.com)

P362 Floorstander $199 X 2 = 400
PC350 Center $150
P152 Bookshelves $75 X 2 = 150

700 for entire system

Polk Audio System (via newegg when a sale drops)

Monitor70 Floorstander $149 X 2 = 300
CS2 Center $100 = 100
Monitor30 bookshelves X2 (already owned)

400 for upgrade

Energy System (sale today for CF70s at vanns.com, 229 each)

CF70 Floorstander $199 X 2 = $400
CC10 Center $200-$300
CB5 Bookshelves Pair $199

700-800 for upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The Energy CF series is going to sound just like your description on the Polks you gave. I would recommend them for a mostly Ht/gaming system, but not for music. They aren't that bad for low to moderate listening and actually very nice for some music, but the louder you crank them the more harsh they get.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #3 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Now I feel like I shouldn't have described the Polks, haha, going to have to edit that. Probably better to just get a subjective opinion from others. Do you consider the Energy CF70s to sound brighter than the Polks? Or about the same?
post #4 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
While I think the Energy CF-70 would be a bit of an upgrade over the Polks... and the price for the CF-70 is good... unless you can get the CC-10 for $200 or less, and the CB-5 for under $100, I think you'd be overpaying on those.

Here's what Stereophile had to say about the Energy CB-10...
http://www.stereophile.com/content/e...r-measurements

I haven't heard the Infinity Primus speakers, but they are well regarded for their price range and certainly measure better than the others.
post #5 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Not sure if you've seen these, or are even interested in considering them... and I haven't heard them so I can't comment on their sound quality...

But EMP is clearing out some of their A-stock E5Ti towers for roughly half price:
http://www.emptek.com/e5ti_clearance.php

Adding in the matching center and bookshelves would put you at $745. And the word is they're going to be running a sale soon on some of the other speakers.
post #6 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 379
If you get the EMP Tek speakers, no reason to get the bookshelf for $250/pr when you can get two towers for $275. Just go with 4 towers and a center for $770.

Afro GT
post #7 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

The Emptek's look enticing at their price for a pair and have an overall look that appears to be of better construction than some of my other options. Too bad I haven't heard any of their speakers, I'm a bit reluctant to jump the gun on a brand that isn't too well known. Has anyone heard of these empteks?
post #8 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is a whole EMPtek Owners thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1101727&page=9

They're a sister company to RBH Sound which makes some very respected speakers. Both are located at the same facility in Utah.

Afro GT
post #9 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds enticing, but I just can't seem to find much info on the empteks. They do look good for the price, but I think I'd rather stick to just the 3 options I laid out for now.
post #10 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM

These are very good value:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-Black/1.html - Carnival 5 center $129

http://www.amazon.com/Mordaunt-Carni...1098290&sr=8-2 - Carnival 6 floor standers $450 or Carnival 8 floorstanders for $600

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ck-Pair/1.html - Carnival 1 bookshelf $109

Total - $680 or $830 depending on which floor standers you choose shipping
included

Several folks here, myself included have the Carnival 2 bookshelfs are VERY happy with them. I use them for desktop use & they are fantastic. I have yet to hook up my sub, bass is decent for a 5.5inch woofer. After experiencing these I would hesitate to buy their full setup.
post #11 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll just stick to the main three brands I listed. I actually spent some time reading around and choosing the three options I listed. I just can't find a good reason to choose an unknown brand at this time, too risky.
post #12 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspace View Post

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll just stick to the main three brands I listed. I actually spent some time reading around and choosing the three options I listed. I just can't find a good reason to choose an unknown brand at this time, too risky.

All the brands you listed are US main stream. Mordaunt on the other hand is a popular & respected British brand. I had ordered the Primus P162 bookshelfs & the Carnival 2 at the same time. I returned the Primus with 2 days of trying as they were harsh & hurt my ears to the point that I hated listening to anything with them.

The Carnivals produced smooth, clean music. Just because Mordaunt isn't too well known in the US, doesn't make them risky.
post #13 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have you listened to any of these speakers? They are all good choices but don't expect some "holy cow" difference with these choices. In a room that size, I would save the money and look into room treatments. Do you listen to multi channel music? If so, get another pair of Monitor 40s and then get some room treatments.
You never did mention what you are driving this stuff with.

Sounds good!
post #14 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post

All the brands you listed are US main stream. Mordaunt on the other hand is a popular & respected British brand. I had ordered the Primus P162 bookshelfs & the Carnival 2 at the same time. I returned the Primus with 2 days of trying as they were harsh & hurt my ears to the point that I hated listening to anything with them.

The Carnivals produced smooth, clean music. Just because Mordaunt isn't too well known in the US, doesn't make them risky.

It looks like the Carnival line has been discontinued. They are absent on their web site at least. Yes, people have begun to discover Mordaunt-Short. They are pretty good.

Sounds good!
post #15 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

I will be driving these with a Pioneer VSX-1121-K Thx receiver, will be running in 5.1 mode. I have biamping capability with this receiver, so speakers that can handle the extra wattage in my options are the CF70s & Monitor70s. I will probably open a can of worms by asking this, but does bi-amping help?
post #16 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I'm another Mordaunt Short fan, and owner of the Carnival 2. It would be great to hear their top line speakers after owning the Carnivals, which IMO are very transparent, pleasing speakers.

post #17 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspace View Post

I will be driving these with a Pioneer VSX-1121-K Thx receiver, will be running in 5.1 mode. I have biamping capability with this receiver, so speakers that can handle the extra wattage in my options are the CF70s & Monitor70s. I will probably open a can of worms by asking this, but does bi-amping help?

No can of worms but, no.
There was a bench test of the 1121 in the past year in Home Theater Mag. But in 5 channel mode, it was well under 100 wpc. I think it was in the 50-60 range. Don't worry, that is typical.
The Monitor 70s have a "fuller" sound than the M 40s just due to the larger drivers but same tweeter. Like others have said, the CFs are a little bright on the high end. More so than the Polks.
I have the Polk M 40s and 50s. However, when I upgrade, I will be looking at B&W, Focal, KEF, Paradigm and PSB. And will at least tripple the price of what I paid for the Polks. This is how much you have to step up to hear a noticable difference in my mind.

Sounds good!
post #18 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback on the receiver. I just picked it up recently at a nice low price, so much for bang for buck though on the wpc! I actually like the Pioneer sound, compared to Onkyo and Sony, they sound more full and pleasing to my ear.

I also looked at the brands that you mentioned, aside from the B&W and Kefs, auditioning those speakers is a little bit harder. I know where you're going, that's probably the next level of my upgrade pattern, eeking more into esoteric brands that can deliver that extra level of performance, but for a price!
post #19 of 42 Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

This hobby has been compared to drugs many times!
What I have learned and what many will tell you is that you have to pick something that sounds good to YOU! Everyone has there favorites. For me right now, it is the Polks. But it was also a monetary decision. The best speaker I have ever listened to (to me) cost more than my first car! ($3,000) But, that ain't gonna happen for me any time soon.

Sounds good!
post #20 of 42 Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 AM

karlsaudio makes some good points. I went from a Monitor 60, CS1 & Monitor 30 setup that cost me all of $340 to Kef Q900, Q300 & Q600c setup that cost me exactly $2000 more! Is the sound worth it? Oh yes! Its been my long time dream to buy "nice" equipment. If you have the means to do so, buy something like that now & forget about it for a while. Mordaunts are also such speakers, they are THAT good. Unless you are a lover of really harsh highs or bright highs according to some; I reckon that the Mordaunts will sound better than the Primus or the Polks that you are thinking about. I have tried both & I can first hard. No comments on the Energy speakers though.
post #21 of 42 Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 AM

My vote is for the emptek setup.
post #22 of 42 Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

The Empteks do look interesting, but one major thing I have a problem with is that their matching center has to be crossed at 100hz, instead of 80 hz. I also can't seem to find that many pro reviews on them. From what I have heard, they have a "laidback" kind of sound and I'm looking for something a little more ferocious to make movies come alive.
post #23 of 42 Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Not sure if you've seen these, or are even interested in considering them... and I haven't heard them so I can't comment on their sound quality...

But EMP is clearing out some of their A-stock E5Ti towers for roughly half price:
http://www.emptek.com/e5ti_clearance.php

Adding in the matching center and bookshelves would put you at $745. And the word is they're going to be running a sale soon on some of the other speakers.

How do people find deals like this?Do you have any more deals like this?
I want to get infinity's 363 but they are $329 each and dont look like they going to be on sale any time soon,can you recommend speakers to rival p362's for $330 a pair?

Thanx in advance.
post #24 of 42 Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

there are always deals to be found...

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Ve...cmu_pg__header

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...h-Black/1.html

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/VR1-B...nly--P310.aspx

just have to be patient, those P363's come on sale all the time. If not them, something else will.

Have you looked at used speakers?

Afro GT
post #25 of 42 Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

there are always deals to be found...

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Ve...cmu_pg__header

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...h-Black/1.html

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/VR1-B...nly--P310.aspx

just have to be patient, those P363's come on sale all the time. If not them, something else will.

Have you looked at used speakers?

I meant deals on something good.Isnt BIC is cheap company like Pyle and Boss?
post #26 of 42 Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVIV73 View Post

I meant deals on something good.Isnt BIC is cheap company like Pyle and Boss?

Good is a relative word around here. To me bic is good. Probably best bang for your buck if you have a low budget and want to play loud.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #27 of 42 Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Good is a relative word around here. To me bic is good. Probably best bang for your buck if you have a low budget and want to play loud.

No,i dont care about loudness but quality.Im thinking about companies that are known for speakers infinity,polk,boston,yamaha,klipsch,etc...
But there are other brand names out there that i haven't heard of that make good speakers like thos EmpTek you mentioned earlier but im affraid Bic doesnt fall in the same leauge as polk,infinity or emptek.

Man,i wish those Empteks was still on sale,they look like quality product.
post #28 of 42 Old 05-12-2012, 02:07 AM

I have the Emps and I really like them. Call and talk to Daren. They have some b-stock but usually wait until they have a few sets before they put them on sale. All of mine were b-stock and there is nothing wrong with any of them The boxes were a little beat up but I can not find even a scratch.

Here is my set up

Fronts E55TI
Center E56CI
Surrounds E5TI
Sub HSU VTF-15H

You want the bigger towers up front. They sound really good with movies or music. They lack a little on the low end but that is what the sub is for. I set my crossover to 80 and have it set to 60 in two channel. I can listen to music without the sub. I do not listen to ALOT of bass heavy music but when I do I just turn on the sub.
post #29 of 42 Old 05-13-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe416 View Post

I have the Emps and I really like them. Call and talk to Daren. They have some b-stock but usually wait until they have a few sets before they put them on sale. All of mine were b-stock and there is nothing wrong with any of them The boxes were a little beat up but I can not find even a scratch.

Here is my set up

Fronts E55TI
Center E56CI
Surrounds E5TI
Sub HSU VTF-15H

You want the bigger towers up front. They sound really good with movies or music. They lack a little on the low end but that is what the sub is for. I set my crossover to 80 and have it set to 60 in two channel. I can listen to music without the sub. I do not listen to ALOT of bass heavy music but when I do I just turn on the sub.

Thanx,i think im gonna get Emps if they have a pair for $350.
post #30 of 42 Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I've had the CF-70, CF-30 and CC-10. Switched to the Energy RC series (RC-50, RC-LCR, RC-10) because I wanted that more laid-back sound. If you want a ferocious speaker, CF-70s will do the job. I had CF-70s up front and CF-30s for surround and loved it for movies. Watching movies like Transformers was awesome.

I actually wrote a review on the CF-70 and the CC-10 on a blog I started a while ago. It's in my signature below my post. I haven't updated it in a while but you'll find at least those two speaker reviews in it.

Like others said, if you go the Energy route, try to get the CC-10 for cheaper than $200. Occasionally it'll go on sale for $200. Just be patient. By having the CF-70s as mains you can do what's called a "ghost center" and it should work well til you find a good deal on the the CC-10.

Also, your receiver will do just fine with any of these speakers. Unless you know how to biamp, I wouldn't even try it. If you do it wrong you can damage your speakers. There is a thing called sensitivity in speakers, and the higher the sensitivity the less power is actually required to run them. So honestly it's in the single digits of watts per speaker to run. Considering you have the 1121-k (I have the 921-k and it powers 7 speakers that are quite large) your total system power is about 110 watts so it'll power them just fine. Now, adding extra amplification will add more clarity and drive to your speakers, but unless you're going to be cranking the volume way up, I doubt you'll need any extra power. BUT as others have warned you, these speakers (and most Polks, not all but the lower end) can be quite harsh and provide what is called 'ear fatigue', thus my comment about people switching to the RC series.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cf 70 Floor Standing Speaker Black , Polk Audio Am7092 A Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Infinity Primus P362 3 Way Dual 6 5 Floor Spk Sold Individually , Speaker Systems , Floorstanding Speakers , Bookshelf Speakers
Gear in this thread - Am7092 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page