Mirage or energy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-07-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
which is a better setup energy rc 70 towers and an energy rclcr center or a pair or mirage omd 15 tower speakers and a mirage omdc1 center channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 381
I think that's gonna be a listener preference decision. Both are very good speakers.

Both are heavily discounted right now so you can get a great deal on either system. I think the RC-70s and Omni 15's are $399 (or $499) each and the centers cost around $299.

Mirage and Energy are sister companies that were Canadian based until Klispch purchased them. But they use different technology for these speakers. Energy uses the standard speaker monopole technology while Mirage uses Omnipolar technology which disperses the sound all over the room.

http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/about/philosophy/

Even though the speakers are about the same size, the Energy RC-70 weighs about 60lbs, while the OMD-15 is around 35lbs. The build quality on both looks great.

I own several Energy bookshelf speakers and the RC LCR center. Always been curious about the OMD-15 but only seen them online. Don't have a local store that carries them.

Afro GT
post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

which is a better setup energy rc 70 towers and an energy rclcr center or a pair or mirage omd 15 tower speakers and a mirage omdc1 center channel

It depends entirely on your own situation:

- what's the room you're going to be using them like - layout and description?

- many listening positions (so you get the benefit of the omnipolar sound) or just one?

- how long do you expect to keep the speakers? the energys are more conventional so may be easier to resell
post #4 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I haven't heard either speaker, but I hear mostly good things about both brands. Do you have any best buy magnolia stores that you could hear the mirage speakers? I hear that mirage speakers aren't for everyone, because of the omnipolar technology. Some people love the way that it sounds for surround sound movies.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a full 7.1 Mirage OMD set up with XT32 and I LOVE the way it sounds. Some people just have Mirage speakers for surrounds and have different fronts. They really shine as surround speakers and particularly when the speakers are directly to the left and right of the listening position. I never heard Energy speakers so I can't comment on those, I hear nothing but good things about them though.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page