Center Chanel needed but with Width Constraints - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

So I have Polk LC265I In wall for front speakers. I just bought the new LSiM704c but had to put it on my entertainment center and its just too big looking. It kills the look of the customer entertainment center.

I had the thing built and didn't take a center speaker into consideration. The widest I could go is like 18". Do you guys have any idea for a good center within that width constraint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
There are centers that meet that criteria. The problem however is it won't be matched to the front L&R. Its a cardinal rule that the front 3 speakers should be from the same make/model line.

Will a bigger center simply not fit or does it just not look right??? If looks is the only problem I say live with it. The LSiC is the correct boxed center speaker to match your front L&R OR get the LCi-C in-wall center which is the direct match for your in-wall front L&R.

Shawn
post #3 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

yah it looks like crap. and I also have a wife i have to live with too. 2 big issues. I'm not a real HI FI nut, I just want to be able to hear dialog clearer.
post #4 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Phantom Center...

So much media, so little time...

post #5 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
a picture would help a lot.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed reply, i never got the emails about responses.

So the current LSiM704c has this cheap supper glossy black piano finish. Between that and my old school toshiba finish, my wife says it looks like it should be in a frat house. I kinda agree. If it was white it wouldn't be that bad.

To put it in the entertainment it has to be a max of 19" wide (can squeeze 20"), it cant be too tall or it wont fit above the receiver. The other 2 bays are 17" Max width.

I would be open to an inwall too but polk discontinued them. F'n polk. I only bought the LC265 because there were on polks web site (with the others) and i thought they were current.

Any ideas? I'm again just want to really be able to hear good, clear dialog. I appreciate the help, I'm a real layman with this stuff.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Will a bigger center simply not fit or does it just not look right??? If looks is the only problem I say live with it. The LSiC is the correct boxed center speaker to match your front L&R OR get the LCi-C in-wall center which is the direct match for your in-wall front L&R.

The LCi-C have been discontinued and are NO WHERE to be found or I would go that route. Polk seems to have stopped making inwall centers.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Don't know if its a possibility (dispersion issues or length in regards to studs ) but how about getting another LC265I and mounting it horizontally under the flat screen.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccopewterss View Post

Don't know if its a possibility (dispersion issues or length in regards to studs ) but how about getting another LC265I and mounting it horizontally under the flat screen.

Considering that you said you are not a hi fi nut. This seems like an excellent solution to me. It would be a perfect sonic and visual match to what u already have.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccopewterss View Post

Or better yet, remove the shelf and stand it vertically; without a doubt the best possible solution (if it gets WAF ).

post #11 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gater96 View Post

Considering that you said you are not a hi fi nut. This seems like an excellent solution to me. It would be a perfect sonic and visual match to what u already have.

The LC265 are 19" Long So they wont fit. They are also discontinued too. I used to me into car stereo and home audio. I can hear high and low quality easily. By not being a hifi nut, i mean, im not after 100% matching, my goal again is just being able to hear good dialog.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysak View Post

.......my goal again is just being able to hear good dialog.

Well, I know you are not looking to keep it, but you need to pull the speaker out from where it is sitting, now, to the front edge of the shelf. And what do you have between it and the shelf?

I am assuming Polk doesn't make a white version. You could refinish this one and re-cover the grill.

Otherwise, frankly, what you have looks pretty good. That jumble of childrens' books on the left looks worse, and they look fine. This appears to be a family room/rec. room/den, right? I mean, it's not your living room is it?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #13 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

We have a 20 month old and a 4 month old, thats why the speaker is so far back. Well also for looks to. This room is our living room, which on the other side where I was standing was the kitchen, so we would prefer the equipment to be heard but not seen. Its a narrow house width wise... Polk really seemed to leave their customers high and dry, but not listing products on their site as discontinued, and not offering center in walls anymore. The LC 265 were not cheap my any means.

I considered refinishing it, i can't imagine it coming out good though. its also a $750 speaker so its not really cheap.

Can anyone recommend a good center from another brand perhaps (inwall)?
post #14 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

This room is our living room, which on the other side where I was standing was the kitchen, so we would prefer the equipment to be heard but not seen.

Oh, well, I think you might just be overly sensitive to it, now. Especially now that you both have in your head that it looks bad. Give it a few weeks and I bet you won't even notice it. As an objective viewer of your photo, I can tell you that it doesn't look bad. I mean, yeah, against all that white, it is hard not to notice it, but still..............

Quote:

I considered refinishing it, i can't imagine it coming out good though.

Well, it depends. It can be done well.

Quote:

Can anyone recommend a good center from another brand perhaps (inwall)?

Why are you not considering a Polk? These are discontinued?

http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio...ex.php?s=lci-c
http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio...php?s=lcirts-c

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #15 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

The LCi-C have been discontinued and are NO WHERE to be found or I would go that route. Polk seems to have stopped making inwall centers.

Not according to Polk's WS. But they have to be purchased from an install contractor. You have to put in your zip and they will show you the choices near you.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Not according to Polk's WS. But they have to be purchased from an install contractor. You have to put in your zip and they will show you the choices near you.

The site is wrong, no one has them in stock. Installers don't stock anything anyway, they order as needed. The website lists everything for sale, but the reality is that there is no product available. Not even refirbs.

So to recap... Polk, its re sellers or distributes have no inwall center channels. Does anyone have any good input on a good inwall center? or a solid center that is no more than 20" long?
post #17 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I was just looking on Crutchfield's site, and they offer the 255C-RT instead. But I do not know if it is a sonic match to the 265i. But it is not video shielded, that does not seem right for a center speaker.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-10-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

I was just looking on Crutchfield's site, and they offer the 255C-RT instead. But I do not know if it is a sonic match to the 265i. But it is not video shielded, that does not seem right for a center speaker.

Video shielded only matters for CRT TVs and CRT rear projectoin TVs.

Shawn
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page