worth upgrading? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
splatee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bay Area/San Diego/now DFW area Texas
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

well i have been bit by the upgrade bug

Currently i am running the following...

4 x Insignia NS-B2111 for the front and rears
1 x TSC RC-1 center channel
2 x 12" DIY Sound Splinter subs
Pioneer VSX 918V

Now i have been looking at either of the two following setups.

Setup #1 Pioneer

1 pair Pioneer SP-FS51 for fronts
3 x Pioneer SP-C21 for center and rear surrounds

Or i was thinking about running all Pioneer SP-C21 for fronts and rears due to space restraints, but not sure yet.

Setup #2 Polk Audio Monitors

2 x Polk Audio Monitor50 Series II fronts
1 x CS1C Series II or CS2B Series II center channel
2 x Monitor30B Series II or Monitor40B Series II for rears

And maybe running Monitor40B Series II for the fronts and rears depending on space restraints.

I mainly do 50/50 movies and gaming with ps3 and xbox and sometimes music.

Now my main questions are....

#1 Which would be a better setup?
#2 Is it a worthwhile upgrade over my current?

Thank you
splatee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Have not heard either, but the Pioneers you have are said to sound really good for the money. Not to be rude, If your going to upgrade, usually you go bigger. I would save up and go for a really good set of speakers, JMPO. I'm going through the same thing now! If you think the polks will hold you over for a long time, then I would do it, but if you think you are going to upgrade again in 6 months, then hold off.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The Polk speakers are decent speakers, and the price is certainly nice, but the question I have for you is...how much of a sonic upgrade do you expect? The speakers you are talking about might not be a big improvement.

The Polks are OK, but there are much better-sounding speakers IF you are willing to spend a few more bucks.

If you could spend $400 for a pair of Monitor Audio M6 towers, $139 for the MCenter, and $200 for a pair of M1 speakers, that would be a HUGE upgrade in sound quality compared to the any of the Polk speakers at comparable prices.






Quote:
Originally Posted by splatee View Post

Hello,

etup #1 Pioneer

1 pair Pioneer SP-FS51 for fronts
3 x Pioneer SP-C21 for center and rear surrounds

Or i was thinking about running all Pioneer SP-C21 for fronts and rears due to space restraints, but not sure yet.

Setup #2 Polk Audio Monitors

2 x Polk Audio Monitor50 Series II fronts
1 x CS1C Series II or CS2B Series II center channel
2 x Monitor30B Series II or Monitor40B Series II for rears

And maybe running Monitor40B Series II for the fronts and rears depending on space restraints.

I mainly do 50/50 movies and gaming with ps3 and xbox and sometimes music.

Now my main questions are....

#1 Which would be a better setup?
#2 Is it a worthwhile upgrade over my current?

Thank you

commsysman is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,332
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 390
The Pioneer is much better than the Insignia - however, you need to
decide how far you want to go.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
splatee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bay Area/San Diego/now DFW area Texas
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies. I am still researching. Just seeing if the two choices would be a wothwhile upgrade over my current set up? I am happy with it but it just seems to be lacking something. The Insignias seem a little "distant" sounding. I feel like they are lacking a bit midrange punch.

I just saw some Polk Polk Audio RT55 book shelfs on the local craigslist. I go uses route and just upgrade the front soundstage and leave the Insignias for the rear.
splatee is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Member
 
jm86wvu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ocmd
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
OP,
I've got an all Polk Monitor setup (M60 - CS1 - M30) and I have been more than happy with it for 7 years. That being said, I've recently caught the upgrade bug and am in the market for new speakers. For the money, you'd be hard pressed to find a more satisfying setup. If I could offer any advice from my experience I would go with the larger center channel (CS2). I think you'll be totally satisfied with the Polks. I'd go with the Monitor 60s, CS2, and Monitor 30s. The 60s are on a few dollars more than the 50s and you'll appreciate the extra driver for music. Monitor 40s will also do a fine job on a good pair of stands.
jm86wvu is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
yeah, i would go with the polk m60's minimum at least, and think about m70's if budget allows. the cs1 and cs2 is up to you. some people prefer the cs1. i think the cs2 is fine and don't have the issues with dialog some people mention.
pukemon is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
splatee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bay Area/San Diego/now DFW area Texas
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now QVC is having the sale on the pioneer c21 center channel speaker. Now I have been thinking about picking up 5 of them and using them for fronts and rears. I'm just not sure how that would sound like that but for the price its hard to pass up.
splatee is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The Polk speakers are decent speakers, and the price is certainly nice, but the question I have for you is...how much of a sonic upgrade do you expect? The speakers you are talking about might not be a big improvement.

The Polks are OK, but there are much better-sounding speakers IF you are willing to spend a few more bucks.

If you could spend $400 for a pair of Monitor Audio M6 towers, $139 for the MCenter, and $200 for a pair of M1 speakers, that would be a HUGE upgrade in sound quality compared to the any of the Polk speakers at comparable prices.

You realize Audio Advisor is out of the M1 and MCentre? Not much point in recommending a discontinued speaker that isn't available... unless you know of somewhere else to buy them.

They are available at big river, but not as cheap.
alphaiii is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatee View Post

Hello,

well i have been bit by the upgrade bug

Currently i am running the following...

4 x Insignia NS-B2111 for the front and rears
1 x TSC RC-1 center channel
2 x 12" DIY Sound Splinter subs
Pioneer VSX 918V

Now i have been looking at either of the two following setups.

Setup #1 Pioneer

1 pair Pioneer SP-FS51 for fronts
3 x Pioneer SP-C21 for center and rear surrounds

Or i was thinking about running all Pioneer SP-C21 for fronts and rears due to space restraints, but not sure yet.

Setup #2 Polk Audio Monitors

2 x Polk Audio Monitor50 Series II fronts
1 x CS1C Series II or CS2B Series II center channel
2 x Monitor30B Series II or Monitor40B Series II for rears

And maybe running Monitor40B Series II for the fronts and rears depending on space restraints.

I mainly do 50/50 movies and gaming with ps3 and xbox and sometimes music.

Now my main questions are....

#1 Which would be a better setup?
#2 Is it a worthwhile upgrade over my current?

Thank you


What's your budget for upgrading?

As for what I bolded above, are you capable of building cabinets? You can get some pretty high end speakers with a DIY kit. For example this Zaph tower and center channel will out class anything being discussed here.
Jay1 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrEastSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I ran monitor 60s, a CS2 and Monitor 40s for surround sound for a couple of years and they were great! A very nice entry level system. Good bang for your buck!

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
MrEastSide is online now  
post #12 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
slammin86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you looked at the emptek offerings?
slammin86 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatee View Post

Right now QVC is having the sale on the pioneer c21 center channel speaker. Now I have been thinking about picking up 5 of them and using them for fronts and rears. I'm just not sure how that would sound like that but for the price its hard to pass up.

You want to run 5 center channel speakers?
Reefdvr27 is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off