If you were willing to go used for speakers and looking at spending $700 a pair - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nourdmrolnmt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What speakers would you look at?

I am hoping to piece together a 7.1 surround in the future, and will slowly piece it together.

stereo first, then 2.1 then 3.1 then 5.1 and thusly 7.1

I am hoping for suggestions in the $700 range per pair.

I have been looking around for Paradigms, but not sure what else to consider as I am not familiar with used speaker pricing.
Nourdmrolnmt1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stevensctt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Lots to look at but Paradigm is a good start for a few reasons. 1. Decent balance for HT, Gaming and music. A solid all-performer. 2. Most are easy to drive, no need to invest heavily in amps, etc. 3. There are lots of them out there, driving down the used prices. 4. Easy to find a matching center if you prefer to do so.

Look around for Paradigm Studio Series, 20, 40 and 60. If considering towers like the 60, best to look locally since shipping tower speakers can be pricey. Bookshelfs like the 20 are easy to ship, $50 to $75 coast to coast.

Depending on the version, any of the Studo series will fit your budget.
stevensctt is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Audiophile34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Detriot Mi area
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Paradigm offer a great value, I am an owner myself, but for that price range, used, you have A lot of options. check out audiogon..

My first DIY project. A dual, dual opposed setup

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1345494
Audiophile34 is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Paraneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If it were me, I would look at $1500 plus speakers that I could get brand new within your budget. Like these.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15532-w...eakers-pr.aspx

Or if you stretch your budget by just another 100 bucks, you can consider these that have a MSRP of 2K.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15535-w...eakers-pr.aspx

Just another direction to consider if you want to go new. Go to the Wharfedale owners thread here at AVS to learn more about them if not familar.

Marantz PM15S2 LE, Arcam FMJ CD-17, VPI Traveler V2 with an Ortofon Rondo Blue, Technics SL-1400 with an Audio Technica AT-14sa, Simaudio Moon 110LP, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Dynaudio Focus 260's, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Paraneer is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

If it were me, I would look at $1500 plus speakers that I could get brand new within your budget. Like these.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15532-w...eakers-pr.aspx

Or if you stretch your budget by just another 100 bucks, you can consider these that have a MSRP of 2K.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15535-w...eakers-pr.aspx

Just another direction to consider if you want to go new. Go to the Wharfedale owners thread here at AVS to learn more about them if not familar.

Those look nice! Look like a great deal. I dont know anything about them though but the specs are impressive.

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Pain Infliction is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Paraneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Wharfedale - Britain's oldest Hi Fi company. As a former Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 owner (sold them to a friend who loved them), they are truly great speakers. The EVO's on sale are a range above the Diamonds so even a better deal. In house driver development and technology. Real wood veneer in your choice of color. Like I said, check out the Wharfedale owners thread to learn more about them. Google is your friend too for reviews. Again, just a suggestion for another route to pursue.

Marantz PM15S2 LE, Arcam FMJ CD-17, VPI Traveler V2 with an Ortofon Rondo Blue, Technics SL-1400 with an Audio Technica AT-14sa, Simaudio Moon 110LP, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Dynaudio Focus 260's, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Paraneer is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 4,646
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 2736
Quote:
What speakers would you look at?

I am hoping to piece together a 7.1 surround in the future, and will slowly piece it together.

stereo first, then 2.1 then 3.1 then 5.1 and thusly 7.1

I am hoping for suggestions in the $700 range per pair.

I have been looking around for Paradigms, but not sure what else to consider as I am not familiar with used speaker pricing.

This sounds like a great plan. Are you interested in book shelf speakers or floorstanders? Also, how big is the listening space?

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."

HT/Living room: FR/FL Sierra 1 NrT, Sierra-1 NrT Center, B&W ASW610, Yamaha RX-A2030, Oppo BDP-93, ATV.
2-channel: B&W 804D, B&W ASW608, Parasound P5, Parasound A23, Marantz CD5004, Rega RP1, Bluesound Node2.
postrokfan is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nourdmrolnmt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

This sounds like a great plan. Are you interested in book shelf speakers or floorstanders? Also, how big is the listening space?

floor standing...

it's an odd room where I'm at right now.

very open on one end compared to other, but let's list it as VERY large.
Nourdmrolnmt1 is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 4,646
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 2736
The Paradigm models already mentioned are great options if you are already familiar with their sound. Have you checked out Audiogon? Also, Ascend Acoustics has a good pair of mini-floorstanders (with stands) that sell for less than $700 (CMT-340SE). These exhibit impressive output even if they're not the most aesthetically pleasing.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."

HT/Living room: FR/FL Sierra 1 NrT, Sierra-1 NrT Center, B&W ASW610, Yamaha RX-A2030, Oppo BDP-93, ATV.
2-channel: B&W 804D, B&W ASW608, Parasound P5, Parasound A23, Marantz CD5004, Rega RP1, Bluesound Node2.
postrokfan is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
superedge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Stillwater MN
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Klipsch klf-20's or klf-30's, they can rock out with just a couple Watts of power each.
superedge88 is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stevensctt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post

Klipsch klf-20's or klf-30's, they can rock out with just a couple Watts of power each.

Klipsch would be another excellent brand to look for used. Very good speakers beyond the entry level stuff
stevensctt is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,219
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 839
I would look at the Monitor Audio RS6 speakers
Here
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/mon...o-rs6-rosewood

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nourdmrolnmt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I would look at the Monitor Audio RS6 speakers
Here
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/mon...o-rs6-rosewood

I saw those and definitely was interested and searching around for more information on them.

Am I right to assume that my Marantz 1120 would power them for the next few months comfortably before I make my next purchase?
Nourdmrolnmt1 is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,219
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt1 View Post

I saw those and definitely was interested and searching around for more information on them.

Am I right to assume that my Marantz 1120 would power them for the next few months comfortably before I make my next purchase?

For now, yes

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nourdmrolnmt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

For now, yes

JW, because I am going through my head how I want to pursue this system...

Speakers are speakers and while they might get better, they still do the same thing produce vibrations.

im trying to figure out in my head if I want to go fully separate amps or what not... going fully separate could make my system take me like 2 years to assemble everything, but at the end it would be phenomenal...
Nourdmrolnmt1 is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,219
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Originally Posted by zieglj01
For now, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt1 View Post

JW, because I am going through my head how I want to pursue this system...

I would also suggest that you get a second opinion on the Marantz 1120.
It is an old amp, and I think it is rated at 8 ohms - the RS6 is stable at
6 ohms, for most of its range. So I am going to say, that I do have some
reservation with older amps, below 8 ohms.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nourdmrolnmt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Originally Posted by zieglj01
For now, yes



I would also suggest that you get a second opinion on the Marantz 1120.
It is an old amp, and I think it is rated at 8 ohms - the RS6 is stable at
6 ohms, for most of its range. So I am going to say, that I do have some
reservation with older amps, below 8 ohms.

I've had the 1120 for like 7 years now and used it on speakers that definitely are not 8 ohms... never had an issue. I paid a grand total of $60 for the amp (hooray ebay deal)
Nourdmrolnmt1 is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,219
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt1 View Post

I've had the 1120 for like 7 years now and used it on speakers that definitely are not 8 ohms... never had an issue. I paid a grand total of $60 for the amp (hooray ebay deal)

I found the specs, you are right - looks like a good show.

http://www.dnaelectronics.ca/specs/marantz_1120.html

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
mrlittlejeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,932
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Revel F12 if you can find some

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

mrlittlejeans is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 22,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt1 View Post


Speakers are speakers and while they might get better, they still do the same thing produce vibrations.

im trying to figure out in my head if I want to go fully separate amps or what not... going fully separate could make my system take me like 2 years to assemble everything, but at the end it would be phenomenal...

no, speakers aren't speakers... speakers (and the room they are in) are responsible for virtually ALL of what you hear... they are THE most important part of your setup...

you've gotten several suggestions in this thread, and most of them will sound markedly different from one another...

why do you think that it would be phenomenal just because they are separates?

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nourdmrolnmt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

no, speakers aren't speakers... speakers (and the room they are in) are responsible for virtually ALL of what you hear... they are THE most important part of your setup...

you've gotten several suggestions in this thread, and most of them will sound markedly different from one another...

why do you think that it would be phenomenal just because they are separates?

because If i piece everything together separately I will end up spending more because I know myself and will spend more for better quality...

and my reference to 'speakers being speakers' was in regards to the fact that they WONT go out of date... unlike an integrated system.

Sure they might wear out, but high quality is high quality.
Nourdmrolnmt1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off