Anyone has experience with Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR9 speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, these are not the vintage AR9's that weigh over 100 lbs.
These AR9's are newer version sort of (2000-2001) they are a different design from the early days. The Hi-Res series was the flagship line of Acoustic Research when AR and NHT were under the same roof. The parent company (Recoton) ran into financial problems and sold NHT to try an save them. They filed bankruptcy then AR was sold to Audiovox who took on all of AR's debt, the cable division was sold (GE) seperatly as well.

These are 37 H x 8.75 W x 17 D; 65 lbs with one 10" woofer on the side.

Initial impressions:
Very well built and solid. I got the cherry woodgrain version and it's beautiful and elegant; looks more luxurious than others I have.

A/B with JBL CF120.
-------------------
JBL's are more efficient and louder at the same volume since they have 96db sensitivity.
JBL's are also brighter.
After listening to AR9's, these are more punchy and smoother than the JBL's.
For HT application, AR9's blew JBL's completely. AR9's imaging of HT sound is so better that even in stereo, I could feel the sound moving back and forth completely seperate while the JBL's have muddled up sound sometimes when sound moves from L/R/L quickly. I didn't realize JBL's sound somewhat muddy/boomy until I heard the AR9's. I definitely need more powerful receiver for these.

Anyone has/had heard these?
Will compare with Polk Monitor 5B's and ADS L620 next.

Got them from CL for less than a hundy. Searched online but very few links and information.
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Tee

Product site:
http://www.digital.com.uy/ar/hi_res/ar9.htm
----------------------------------------
AR9
3-Way Tower
SIMPLY STATED, THE HI-RES SERIES LOUDSPEAKERS ARE THE ULTIMATE IN SOUND REPRODUCTION, COMPETING WITH SPEAKERS TWICE THEIR PRICE
Leave it to the company that forged the history of home audio to add a whole new element to the mix. Introducing the Hi-RES Series loudspeakers from Acoustic Research -- an unprecedented combination of classic looks, innovative features, and revolutionary metal alloy components. From plasma-transferred diamond hardened titanium dome tweeters, and our exclusive MagAlloy midranges, to Bob Carver/Sunfire high efficiency amplifiers in our powered tower and subwoofers. The result is solid sonic precision and unyielding tonal accuracy in any home theater or stereo configuration. This is the new standard for high-output, higher-fidelity performance. This is Hi-RES.
Precision requires exacting standards. Given the demands of today's digital sources, there is simply no way to accurately reproduce the quality of these recordings without due consideration of the components that must sustain it. The new Hi-RES tower loudspeakers from Acoustic Research were conceived as a defining statement of sound reproduction and dynamic response. Each internal component has been specially designed and fitted together to faithfully reproduce all of the dynamics of the original oudio experience, consistently and on demand. And, thanks to side-firing low frequency drivers, these sleek, elegant towers fit perfectly into any room decor and complement any architectural taste.
Acoustic Research
Dimensions (HxWxD): 37" x 9 5/16" x 17"
Driver complement: Plasma Transferred Diamond Hardened 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter
Dual 5 1/4" MagAlloy Monocoque Mid-Range
10" Side-firing High Excursion Woofer
All transducers are Magnetically Shielded
Frequency response: 32Hz-23KHz ±2dB
Crossover frequency: 100Hz and 3.2KHz
Sensitivity: 92dB @ 2.83 Volts/Meter
System impedance: 8 Ohms Nominal
Recommended amp. power: 20 Watts~250 Watts
Finish: Black ash, cherry woodgrain
--------------------------------------------
Some pictures:

-----------------

-----------------

-----------------
Thanks.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Those are cool, I think there were a power version with carver/Sunfire amps as well.

So you recently bought them?

Djoel
post #3 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Those are cool, I think there were a power version with carver/Sunfire amps as well.

So you recently bought them?

Djoel

Yes, just got them yesterday for under $100 used.
Hope that's a good deal. Do you know how much they sold for new?
I can't find much information online on these.
If you have heard them, how do they compare with similar sized speakers like Polk or JBL's?
Thanks for information.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery123 View Post

Yes, just got them yesterday for under $100 used.
Hope that's a good deal. Do you know how much they sold for new?
I can't find much information online on these.
If you have heard them, how do they compare with similar sized speakers like Polk or JBL's?
Thanks for information.

never heard them but recall reading some review, I think they went under 2K I think the power towers were a little more 2500? Not too sure as it was late 1990's or early 2000's like you said.

That's a great deal for them, the power version would have been iffy being more prone to break down than the passive one you got.

Congrats

Djoel
post #5 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a review of a whole set up, but these are the power version though, it might have been the write up read, but I know there's a more expensive version than the one on here.

Djoel
post #6 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here's a review of a whole set up, but these are the power version though, it might have been the write up read, but I know there's a more expensive version than the one on here.

Djoel

Thanks Djoel.
The link doesn't work for some reason.
Hmm...
ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND
post #7 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Djoel.
The link doesn't work for some reason.
Hmm...
ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...rch_hi_res.htm

Try this..

Djoel
post #8 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
"If you have heard them, how do they compare with similar sized speakers like Polk or JBL's?"

I have the AR312 HOs from 1998 that are somewhat similar to your AR9s but that have 12 in woofers. I believe that the speaker was Stereo Review's speaker of the year and that for a year Ken Pohlmann compared speakers that he reviewed to the AR312 HOs (which I suspect he owned). A successor speaker was the AR412 HO that had powered woofers and was likely an immediate predecessor to the series in which your AR9 appeared.

I have had midrange Polks and JBL Studio L (current top-of-the line JBL consumer speakers). My AR312 HOs are better than the Polks and hold their own against the JBL Studio Ls. I prefer my Studio Ls with concert-type blu-rays but the ARs are also quite good.

The AR312 HOs listed in the range $2000-$2500. I bought mine for half that after the successor series came out. I suspect that your AR9s listed for between $1500 and $2000 when new.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Who me? In never heard them, just recall reading a possitive review, which I've learn to take with a grain of salt.

Djoel
post #10 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...rch_hi_res.htm
Try this..
Djoel

Thanks Djoel.
Even though it is about AR3's with powered 12" sub, it tells me that AR9's are great speakers and way expensive than other speakers I have.
Now need to find AR2C center-channel speaker and AR15's or AR17's for surround and my AR system will be complete but I don't think it's happening as they never show up for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

"If you have heard them, how do they compare with similar sized speakers like Polk or JBL's?"

I have the AR312 HOs from 1998 that are somewhat similar to your AR9s but that have 12 in woofers. I believe that the speaker was Stereo Review's speaker of the year and that for a year Ken Pohlmann compared speakers that he reviewed to the AR312 HOs (which I suspect he owned). A successor speaker was the AR412 HO that had powered woofers and was likely an immediate predecessor to the series in which your AR9 appeared.

I have had midrange Polks and JBL Studio L (current top-of-the line JBL consumer speakers). My AR312 HOs are better than the Polks and hold their own against the JBL Studio Ls. I prefer my Studio Ls with concert-type blu-rays but the ARs are also quite good.

The AR312 HOs listed in the range $2000-$2500. I bought mine for half that after the successor series came out. I suspect that your AR9s listed for between $1500 and $2000 when new.

I see. Thanks for comment.
So JBL studio speakers are better and cheaper even with smaller drivers and not having subwoofer in them? Hmmm...

I find that the AR9's have much punch in all frequencies than other speakers I have. Highs, mids and bass all are very forceful on this one.
These are my 1st speakers with bi-amp capability.
Need to try that next to see how they shine with separate amp for bass and mid/high. Initial test by removing the interconnect plate was mid/high screamed with same power but bass asked for more power.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Djoel.
Even though it is about AR3's with powered 12" sub, it tells me that AR9's are great speakers and way expensive than other speakers I have.
Now need to find AR2C center-channel speaker and AR15's or AR17's for surround and my AR system will be complete but I don't think it's happening as they never show up for sale.

I think you got an awesome deal, and some fine speakers dirt cheap..In fact I think you'll pay more for the Center and the rears than the fronts

Keep us posted.

Djoel
post #12 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 AM

I know I am a few months late but was wondering if you knew where to get the gold plated jumpers for the AR series? I can't seem to find this style anywhere. I own a set of AR15's (going on 13 years). They have never failed me. They sure don't make 'em like they used to.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM

Liked: 11
The Hi-Res series ranged from large floor standing units to little book shelf units. They all used a vented box design - sad given that Acoustic Research was founded by the inventor off acoustic suspension (sealed) speakers.

In the Hi-Res series; the following were floor standing, all were three way speakers:

AR1 - 15" woofer powered by a Sunfire amp, the mid range drivers (2 per) and tweeter were not powered, the speaker needed to be wired to an amplifier. The Sunfire amp got its input from the high level terminals on the speaker.
AR3 - 12" woofer powered by a Sunfire amp, the mid range drivers (2 per) and tweeter were not powered, the speaker needed to be wired to an amplifier. The Sunfire amp got its input from the high level terminals on the speaker.
AR5 - 10" woofer powered by a Sunfire amp, the mid range drivers (2 per) and tweeter were not powered, the speaker needed to be wired to an amplifier. The Sunfire amp got its input from the high level terminals on the speaker.
AR7 - 15" woofer, no amp
AR9 - 12" woofer, no amp
AR11 - 10" woofer, not amp

The AR1,3,7 and 9 had the same size cabinets. I believe that the AR5 and 11 were somewhat smaller.

The AR15 and AR17 were bookshelf speakers.

The AR2c and AR4c were center channel speakers.

About a decade ago; I had a system with an Onkyo TX-787 (7 channel x 100W) with AR7 mains, AR17 sides and rear, and AR4c center; and drove the woofers with an Adcom 545 II. Independence Day was something else on that system - it would vibrate the concrete slab under the house.

The Hi-Res speakers are great for HT, 6dB (four times) as efficient as the tradition AR speakers.

Nigel
Reply Speakers