Please confirm or critique my surround placement! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am a new to audio equipment and am in the process of setting up my own little slice of heaven in by basement but i am having difficulties deciding where to place the surround and back channels. So far my setup includes:

TSI 500's-fronts
CS20-Center
Klipsch Sub12- Sub
Onkyo 709- Receiver
LG 55 inch Flat screen

My plan this week is to order 4 Polk TSI200's for my surround and back channel speakers ( wall mounting on pinpoint AM40's) but i don't know if they will be to large for my space considering the couch is only a foot and a half away from the back and side walls.

Here are a few images of my space that i created to scale, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachment 240352

Attachment 240353

Attachment 240354
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasied View Post

Hello,

I am a new to audio equipment and am in the process of setting up my own little slice of heaven in by basement but i am having difficulties deciding where to place the surround and back channels. So far my setup includes:

TSI 500's-fronts
CS20-Center
Klipsch Sub12- Sub
Onkyo 709- Receiver
LG 55 inch Flat screen

My plan this week is to order 4 Polk TSI200's for my surround and back channel speakers ( wall mounting on pinpoint AM40's) but i don't know if they will be to large for my space considering the couch is only a foot and a half away from the back and side walls.

Here are a few images of my space that i created to scale, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachment 240352

Attachment 240353

Attachment 240354

The resolution of your thumbnails is not so good ...

Look at this site for good placement info.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #3 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the link! I Have been to the Dolby site and watched there slideshow and it has been a great resource for me. However, i guess my real concern is how close the surrounds and back speakers are going to be to the listening position and if there is anything i will need to do differently. Will the TSI200's work or will i need to get smaller speakers? The looks of the speakers are no concern, i am just worried about audio quality and not having the surrounds overpower the fronts.

These pictures should have turned out better.

LL
post #4 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I have never heard your speakers but smaller speakers will not help. Your placement looks about right (I might place the surrounds a little higher). Ideally you would have more room to the right, left and behind your seating area but most of us have similar issues in our in-home setups.

Your Onkyo AVR has Audyssey setup software that will set your speaker levels, crossovers and distance automatically for one or more locations on your sofa. The AVR will also allow you to tweak the speaker levels and crossovers for the best sound at your primary seating area.

There is no magic here (though Audyssey room correction software is very good at performing setup magic ) so you will just have to use trial and error and your own sound preference as your guide. Looks like a nice comfortable room ... have fun!

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #5 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I have read allot of posts saying that the speakers should be two feet above ear level but i have also seen allot of posts advising the speakers be put right at ear level. I'll go ahead and put them at two feet above and just angle them down a bit.

Thanks
post #6 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 230
if you have a denon audyssey automatically controls volume to deliver the perfect levels
as well yahama have YPAO that does the same, pioneer as well have MCACC.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #7 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Hey there frasied, welcome to the forum!

RMK gave you great information! I've had a similar set up to what you've got going on here. You'll love it.

Mine was the Monitor seriesII. The M40 is equivalent to your TSi200, great for surrounds.

Your room looks like a pretty good sized one, and with your 709, you "might" end up wanting some more head room out of those speakers.

The 709 does have pre-outs, so if you find yourself lacking a tad bit, your AVR is ready for an amp. My M70's offered more head room once I added some extra power to them.

Of course, you may be perfectly happy where you're at, but it's good to know that you're not limited by what you have.

Nice set up. Don't forget to post your impressions once you have everything up and going.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #8 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'd personally go with bi polar or omni polar rears. Dipole on the sides would be good too. I'm not a klipsch fan either,way too bright..
post #9 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I have read allot of posts saying that the speakers should be two feet above ear level but i have also seen allot of posts advising the speakers be put right at ear level. I'll go ahead and put them at two feet above and just angle them down a bit.

Thanks

I have mine right at ear height and I really like the placement. Try different things, and see what YOU like.

Cheers,
Chad
post #10 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

Try different things, and see what YOU like.

Cheers,
Chad

Gold right there!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #11 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Hey there frasied, welcome to the forum!

Mine was the Monitor seriesII. The M40 is equivalent to your TSi200, great for surrounds.

Your room looks like a pretty good sized one, and with your 709, you "might" end up wanting some more head room out of those speakers.

The 709 does have pre-outs, so if you find yourself lacking a tad bit, your AVR is ready for an amp. My M70's offered more head room once I added some extra power to them.

Of course, you may be perfectly happy where you're at, but it's good to know that you're not limited by what you have.

Nice set up. Don't forget to post your impressions once you have everything up and going.

I have definitely thought about getting an amp to by-amp the fronts, however i still have a projector and couch to buy before and i don't have the funds at the moment. thanks for your help and i'll make sure to put up pics and comments when im done!
post #12 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

I'd personally go with bi polar or omni polar rears. Dipole on the sides would be good too. I'm not a klipsch fan either,way too bright..

The bi/omni polar speakers i looked at were too much money for my budget. for the same price i could have gotten another pair of floorstanding TSI's. However if polk had cheaper ones that would be my preference.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I have mine right at ear height and I really like the placement. Try different things, and see what YOU like.

Cheers,
Chad

How far away are the speakers from where you're sitting? mine would only be about 6inches to a foot...
post #14 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have definitely thought about getting an amp to by-amp the fronts!

Just a little friendly advice for when that time comes, bi-amping those speakers really doesn't do anything, just amp them from a single power source.

Quote:

for the same price i could have gotten another pair of floorstanding TSI's. However if polk had cheaper ones that would be my preference.

Rock n roll baby! That's the direction I've gone. I've put my M70's in the surround spot.

Quote:

How far away are the speakers from where you're sitting? mine would only be about 6inches to a foot...

I can't speak for Chad, but mine have been as close as a foot and a half.

Your 709 has audessey, so you can place them anywhere you want and the AVR will do the math for you as far as distance set up and equalizing.

And as Chad did mention, experimentation with placement is going to get you your best results, trial and error will get you honed in.

And, your 709 has audessey DSX, which means you can choose to run; wide channels, height, or, as you're planning, rears.

I have an 807onk, with the same speaker options as yours. I've tried all three configurations and have settled on the wide channel, IMO, that's where the most content is utilized of the three choices.

Your mileage may vary, and you may end up preferring the rear channel over the other two, or space may be a factor as well.

Bottom line, it's your toy, play with it.

post #15 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Rock n roll baby! That's the direction I've gone. I've put my M70's in the surround spot.
I can't speak for Chad, but mine have been as close as a foot and a half.

I was looking at getting the Monitor 50/60 series II for surrounds and rears but they would be sandwiched between my walls and the couch. wouldnt that give a more muffled/distorted sound than that of the TSI200's on the wall with no obstruction?
post #16 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Just Bought two pairs of Monitor 40's series II for my surrounds and rears for $129 a pair on newegg. should be here next week!
post #17 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was looking at getting the Monitor 50/60 series II for surrounds and rears but they would be sandwiched between my walls and the couch. wouldnt that give a more muffled/distorted sound than that of the TSI200's on the wall with no obstruction?

Considering your space, you made the right choice with the 40's.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page