Biggest myths in audio that tick you off/General things in audio that tick you off. - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I have trouble with Dr. rolling off my tongue too. I've recently gone back to college and my professors want to be referred to as Dr. so and so.... It feels so much like, "bow and kiss the ring".

If you earned the title "Dr." after years of education, why not use it? There are various types of doctorate degrees.

If someone is a Roman Catholic, do they not refer to the male clergy as "father" and the females as "sister" or "mother"? That can sound pretentious too. Why should they be called father, sister or mother?
(This is not intended to insult anyone's religion... just trying to use an analogy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmit115 View Post

What irks me are people that look down their nose at other people for what what ever reason. "I paid more for my speakers so they are better than yours" or daddy paid for my education and "I have doctorate so I'm better than you"

We are all human!

. What irks me are insecure people who waste energy even caring about what others have, or whether others think they are superior...
post #393 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

If you earned the title "Dr." after years of education, why not use it? There are various types of doctorate degrees.

If someone is a Roman Catholic, do they not refer to the male clergy as "father" and the females as "sister" or "mother"? That can sound pretentious too. Why should they be called father, sister or mother?
(This is not intended to insult anyone's religion... just trying to use an analogy)

I'm not against showing respect. I'm all for it. But those that deserve it don't have to ask me for it.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #394 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
So... unless someone is a "medical doctor", you personally don't recognize the years of work and education with respect?

Does Dr. Martin Luther King deserve respect? I'd give him more respect than Dr. Phil.
post #395 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It is possible that some of those people who ask to be addressed as "Dr." are trying to avoid a common error made by students who are unversed in the arcane nature of academic titles. I have students refer to me as "professor" but where I teach, no one has that title, so, technically, it is wrong for my students to use that title. A person can have a doctorate, and thus properly claim the title of "Dr." but might not have gained a tenured professorship at a college or university. That person might be an adjunct faculty member (as I am) and would not, technically, qualify for the title of "professor".

All that aside, in my 20+ years of life in academia, most of the people I've known who have seriously insisted on being addressed as "Dr." have either come from cultures where that is taken quite seriously (Germany is one such place) or are overly fussy about exact ranks (and they can be found in just about any culture). I usually gently explain to my students that I do not have either "rank" and they can refer to me by my first name or as "sir" if they find that more comfortable.

As for how this relates to audio, well, frankly, I don't know. But one of my best friends has an outstanding collection of opera and he's both a "Dr." and a "professor" (of economics). Does that count?
post #396 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

So... unless someone is a "medical doctor", you personally don't recognize the years of work and education with respect?

Does Dr. Martin Luther King deserve respect? I'd give him more respect than Dr. Phil.

Uh, can't argue with that one.
post #397 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
As an MD, I don't identify with being called Mr., that was my dad. I went from being a college student to being an MD, I never was a Mr. Sometimes it comes off snobby, but that's not really the point.
post #398 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

To go along with the myth that audio reviewers (Kal excluded) actually know what they are doing, here's a case study performed by Harman showing the results of a controlled test in which groups of people rated speakers. Take notice to how low the "audio reviewers" scored - ha.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2008/1...mances-of.html

Nice link!!

HAVE:

Receiver: Marantz SR6004
Speakers: Philharmonic 2; TagMclaren Calliope; Pioneer BS-22
Sub: W15GTI MKII (Tuned to 20hz; 300 liter enclosure) X 2
post #399 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

It is possible that some of those people who ask to be addressed as "Dr." are trying to avoid a common error made by students who are unversed in the arcane nature of academic titles. I have students refer to me as "professor" but where I teach, no one has that title, so, technically, it is wrong for my students to use that title. A person can have a doctorate, and thus properly claim the title of "Dr." but might not have gained a tenured professorship at a college or university. That person might be an adjunct faculty member (as I am) and would not, technically, qualify for the title of "professor".

All that aside, in my 20+ years of life in academia, most of the people I've known who have seriously insisted on being addressed as "Dr." have either come from cultures where that is taken quite seriously (Germany is one such place) or are overly fussy about exact ranks (and they can be found in just about any culture). I usually gently explain to my students that I do not have either "rank" and they can refer to me by my first name or as "sir" if they find that more comfortable.

As for how this relates to audio, well, frankly, I don't know. But one of my best friends has an outstanding collection of opera and he's both a "Dr." and a "professor" (of economics). Does that count?

I think, reading between the lines, what he's inferring is that it is difficult to bracket out a whole host of images, ideas, opinions, and experiences associated with the title so that two people can connect authentically one person to another. It also positions a relationship where one is ostensibly superior to another simply because one decided to dedicate a life to study and academia; excelling at a certain type of education.

I’m of the Mark Twain school, “I never let schoolin’ get in the way of my education.”

We’re all of the George Bernard Shaw school, "Life is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils."

Often I’ve met titled people who bandy their title about as evidence that they are superior. I know a woman who has a “Doctor” title from the University of Phoenix and uses it all of the time. She introduces herself as “Doctor”

And her Doctorate is in friggin’ marketing!!!

20 years ago I almost went through an extreme treatment for an illness because the “Doctor” said I should. The treatment could’ve killed me. Fortunately my wife found an herbal remedy that was being tested in Germany with great success. I went against the gravitational pull of the “Doctor” and have had superb health since.

Finally, those who insist on their title being used or use it are feeding their ego an unhealthy diet imo. For as Blake wrote, “The greatest danger a man faces as he walks through life, is the seduction of the material world.”

Clearly I’m ambivalent about titles. You earned it; you can do what you want with it. But don’t expect all people to treat you like royalty. After all, we're Americans...we rebelled against royalty.

Just my .02.
post #400 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Anyone that earned a title has my respect for the hard work involved. However, I will only use the term, verbally, for a medical doctor. That's my preference.

I have a title myself, DAD. Being a good one is not easy and deserves respect as well. . I even have a shirt that claims I'm a super one.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #401 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Anyone that earned a title has my respect for the hard work involved. However, I will only use the term, verbally, for a medical doctor. That's my preference.

I have a title myself, DAD. Being a good one is not easy and deserves respect as well. . I even have a shirt that claims I'm a super one.

Bahahaahhaha NICE!!!

HAVE:

post #402 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Pfffft - I bet they had the DIY cables on lifters and the high end cables laying directly on the ground

That would destroy the validity of their test! The lifters cause the sound to "soar"!
post #403 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

To go along with the myth that audio reviewers (Kal excluded) actually know what they are doing, here's a case study performed by Harman showing the results of a controlled test in which groups of people rated speakers. Take notice to how low the "audio reviewers" scored - ha.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2008/1...mances-of.html

Interesting. What I get out of it is that there is no need for tests done by trained listeners, since the general public cannot really tell any difference between the items under review.

If the general public, which is the target audience, cannot tell the difference, then there is no effective difference other than price and looks.
post #404 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 View Post

. What irks me are insecure people who waste energy even caring about what others have, or whether others think they are superior...

You are just saying that because you have crappy audio gear.

post #405 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

As an MD, I don't identify with being called Mr., that was my dad. I went from being a college student to being an MD, I never was a Mr. Sometimes it comes off snobby, but that's not really the point.

If you are not a Mr., then you are a Miss, Mrs., or Ms...unless you want to go archaic and you are young, at which point you can be called Master...but that is out of vogue for obvious reasons.
post #406 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
DEVIATE FROM A THREADS NORMAL DIET, AND IT WILL TURN INTO A MONSTER FEEDING OFF THE WRONG MENU.

Y'all like that? I wrote that one my self.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #407 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

If the general public, which is the target audience, cannot tell the difference, then there is no effective difference other than price and looks.

...and marketing and snake oil...

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #408 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

DEVIATE FROM A THREADS NORMAL DIET, AND IT WILL TURN INTO A MONSTER FEEDING OFF THE WRONG MENU.

Actually, yeah! That should be the new AVS slogan! :P

HAVE:

post #409 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

You are being ridiculous. There are plenty of other doctors (PHDs) in many different areas of study, haven't you been to college? If you have a PHD then you are a Dr. and can be addressed as such. Medical doctors use use the abbreviation MD in their title to show that they are a doctor of medicine. But believe there are many different "real" doctors, not necessarily MDs, out there.

Threads being derailed by pointless, non-AV comments, regardless of validity.
post #410 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Threads being derailed by pointless, non-AV comments, regardless of validity.

He was not the one who first brought that up...I was. Regardless, IMHO people make a big fuss over derailing. Who cares? We're here to converse!

The thread went right back to audio conversation and we have all moved on! (:

HAVE:

post #411 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

He was not the one who first brought that up...I was. Regardless, IMHO people make a big fuss over derailing. Who cares? We're here to converse!

The thread went right back to audio conversation and we have all moved on! (:

"Biggest myths in audio that tick you off/General things in audio that tick you off."

We were discussing "Doctors" in audio and now we're discussing "Doctors" in general.

I'll try and do both, keep it audio related while kvetching about Docs -

Who has accomplished more than Bruse Springsteen? I'd wager he's been offered an honorary Doctorate. If he was of a certain personality type, we'd be calling him, Dr. Bruce Springsteen, and he'd mandate that his audiences call out, "Docccttoooor!" instead of "Bruuuuuuce!" at his concerts.
post #412 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 377
What about, "They call me Dr. Love"?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #413 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 307
"No time for love, Dr. Jones!"
post #414 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

I'll bet you have a Doctorate in Copy Writing!

All right. I'm done attempting to derail Doctors. I have to go back to work.
post #415 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

What about, "They call me Dr. Love"?

Anyone remember this famous audio doctor?

Attachment 241211
LL

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #416 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norske View Post

I guess I can unhook my Logitech speakers from my Classé amp then.

Made my week.. lmao

I just imagine Butters from South Park saying that.

I hate:

People who think 5 or 7 plastic speakers are better than 2 or 3 good fronts. If it's not full surround sound it's crap right?

My buddy who has his RCA 5.1 HTIB with a 6" sub, with both fronts and surrounds setup ass backwards and tells me he doesn't see the point in speakers/surround sound/the earths rotation/water or gravity when I tell him what speakers I bought or what I'm doing home theater wise. Because his system is like 1,000 watts. And he saw some electronics expert on the morning news that said the # of watts means everything as far as quality of sound. Not like better quality speakers sound different.
post #417 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by khankewycz View Post

My buddy who has his RCA 5.1 HTIB with a 6" sub, with both fronts and surrounds setup ass backwards and tells me he doesn't see the point in speakers/surround sound/the earths rotation/water or gravity when I tell him what speakers I bought or what I'm doing home theater wise. Because his system is like 1,000 watts. And he saw some electronics expert on the morning news that said the # of watts means everything as far as quality of sound. Not like better quality speakers sound different.

Have you demo'd your system to him?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #418 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Yep, that’s the best way to do it. That’s how I purchased my new speakers.
Went into the shop to get some Mordaunt Short Aviano 1XR's (picked them because I have a set of MS floor standers and no other resign) did not like the look of them in person but liked the look of the Monitor Audio Bronze BX2's and BX1's and they also had the matching BX centre in stock in the price range I had in mind so I got them instead. No demo’s no nothing just yes I like them here’s my card. (I love them BTW but then I am going from a set of Yamaha MS-1000M with a broken tweeter powered by a 7 year old bottom of the range sony 5.1 receiver)
I am not really an audio buff. never heard of monitor audio before but liked the looks and price. did the same thing with the Onkyo 609 3 days later. It looks nice, it does what I need it to do get it and lets go. as a normal end user I could probably not tell the difference between the 609 and the 1009 in the real world. And in my mind only the top 1% of any sort of so called non pro (I.e Its there job) could tell the difference between changes stuff makes, like twisted cables/sizes MP3 vs flac vs wav CD Vs any of the above, which of the 2 identical speakers has the better cable, which is running thu the best DAC which is the £500 speaker which is the £1000 one..... it would just be total guess work in a real blind test for the non 1%'ers

Like getting a wav file, tern it into a 320 mp3 file then back to a flack VS Wav to flac of the same track and try to here a difference (I.e get so one to do that for you so you don't know)
bet you could do the same thing and play them the same wav 3 times and tell some one 1 was a wav 1 was an mp3 and 1 was a flac which was which and they would come up with some BS about how number 2 sounded more clear or something so it must be the wav.

Topic back on track you can thank me later
post #419 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khankewycz View Post

Made my week.. lmao

I just imagine Butters from South Park saying that.

Bahahaha Butters is amazing!!

HAVE:

post #420 of 998 Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

I guess thats better than being referred to as "Hey a-hole!" Most people call me that. I don't know why...........

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page