Some speaker advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all, long time visitor first time poster! I am trying to set up my dedicated media room, but am falling short in the audio area. Below are the pictures of my setup. The room is 16' across (the wall with the TV) and 20' long.

I am looking for some decent speakers for 40% movies 40% games and the rest normal TV. My budget is 1500 (or less) and right now I am just looking for just left and right (fronts) and I will add the other pieces later (cant freak out the wife all at once). Unless there is a system out there that can give me some bang for that size room.

I was looking at the DT Mythos xtr's and thought they would look great next to the plasma, but I'm not so sure that I am going to get the sound I am looking for with those (I could be wrong, thats why I'm asking). I originally wanted something wall mounted (center below the TV), but now I am leaning towards towers.
I was going for a clean on the wall look and towers kinda kill that (plus a large center channel), but I can figure something out if that's the way to go.

After trying to research, there are sooo many brands and my head is spinnng. Some guidance or suggestions for that size room and budget would help alot!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If I had $1500 to spend on L/Rs, I'd save up another $100 + shipping and get the Philharmonic 1s @$1600/pr. Designed and built by Dennis Murphy, a well know crossover designer that does work for Salk. Sold directly on his web site with no middleman.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 AM
NBR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just curious what is your budget for your receiver and subwoofer? $1500 is a decent budget that can get you started. Is there any stores near you that carries brands like KEF, Paradigm, PSB, Monitor Audio, and so on? That is where I would start. Go and audition them and get a feel of what each of these brands sounds to you.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys, I am currently using a Onkyo tx-sr 805 for a reciever( that will be upgraded at a later date) and a Klipsch Sub 10" 450w (which is also subject to change).

Monday morning I am going to Hi Fi buys (here in Nashville) to demo some of what they have. I thought I would ask on this forum with all of the knowledge and narrow down some choices with the room setup or lean in certain directions. Not sure how much I trust salesmen....Audio products are not my specialty.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 PM

NBR mentioned some great brands (although I am partial to my Energy's...)

The best advice on speakers is go listen to some. Keep in mind, you are not going to be listening to them in anything approaching an ideal situation, so listen for the midrange and the highs. Google auditioning speakers, and take some notes. Take some music you like and are familiar with and listen to the speakers that are in your price range. I also always suggest listening to ones under and over your budget, so you can hear the differences.

Did I mention go listen to some? When you hear some you like, research for reviews of the speakers so you can become comfortable with some of the terminology used in reviews. This can help if you are interested in a brand that you cannot personally audition. Many of the internet direct (ID) companies will allow you to audition at home for a period of time, usually 30 days, so if you don't find something you like to listen to at a store, you could go that route as well.

Mike
post #6 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 PM
NBR

As long as you are not buying speakers at your bank's parking lot from a white van, I think you should be okay. Just make sure you get familiar with brand names. You don't want to accidently buy Paradyme thinking it's Paradigm. If you are buying speakers from a real store front, you should be safe.

Take every sales person's opinion with a grain of salt. Never buy on the first day. Take notes, listen to the speakers in your price range. Bring your CDs or movies you are fimiliar with. Go home and process your thoughts and do more research. Price shop if and when you can. In the end, you have to think about your pocket and not the sales person's. There are definately pros and cons buying local and internet.

The Onkyo 805 should be more than enough of a receiver to push most speakers. Definately upgrade the subwoofer when money allows. I would look some where in the 12"-15" subwoofer. Look for subwoofers from companies such as Hsu or Svs. If you know wood work, DIY is a great way to get the best bang for the dollar.

Keep us updated on what you auditioned. What you like and what you didn't like. In the end, only your ears will be the only determining factor that will truly matter.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Aim for a decent avr (like onkyo 609 or denon 2311) and then check out psb speakers, klipsch or B&W600 series. Also, may be worth to start with like a 2.1 or 3.1 and build out as budget allow (although klipsch and psb should be possible to fit within budget)
post #8 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 550
RBH SX-661. http://www.rbhsound.com/sx661.php If you would like to listen to these, let me know. It would be a 1.5 hour drive north of Nashville.

Also consider: http://www.rbhsound.com/sx661r.php

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #9 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 2317
just a suggestion if its mostly movies and gaming i would look into the chase home theater sho-10's across the front and center.these will give you great ht and gaming sound and pretty decent for music and they will get loud with little power. good luck

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #10 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Great advice and just what i was looking for, thank you guys! Ill report back after my monday visit with the store
post #11 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 452
As a few others have alluded to it would be better to get a left, right and center. It would make TV and movie viewing quite a bit more pleasurable. With a $1500 budget you can still buy some nice speakers, even if you opt to get a center as well.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #12 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan View Post

Thanks for the replies guys, I am currently using a Onkyo tx-sr 805 for a reciever( that will be upgraded at a later date) and a Klipsch Sub 10" 450w (which is also subject to change).

Monday morning I am going to Hi Fi buys (here in Nashville) to demo some of what they have. I thought I would ask on this forum with all of the knowledge and narrow down some choices with the room setup or lean in certain directions. Not sure how much I trust salesmen....Audio products are not my specialty.

God I miss HiFi Buys! Pulled out of Atlanta a few years ago

I know your leaning towards towers, and i don't blame you, but if you have any interest in monitors (since they have the same footprint) Hsu has good deals on their Hybrid setups (LCR + sub). They are great speakers, though $1500 would buy much better if just buying L&R. Just an option...

http://hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid15pkg.html
post #13 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I leaned back alllll the other way, lol, back to in wall's.

When I went to Hif FI buys, I wasnt overly impressed with the mythos (for what I was looking for) and the Klipsch 5800 in walls sounded ok.

As I was walking out, I saw a sale on some JBL P941's (pretty large inwall) and grabbed 2 of them. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these and in your opinion, how to they perform?

The sale price of 399.00 looked too good to pass up.....but of course they could be on sale for a reason...
Reply Speakers