Aerial Acoustics 7T Review on Hometheaterreview.com - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2 3  4 
Speakers > Aerial Acoustics 7T Review on Hometheaterreview.com
cb450r's Avatar cb450r 02:37 PM 03-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound View Post

The Aerial 7t would destroy the Sonus Faber Cremona(at the roughly same price point)... Sad to say. The Aerial 7t is still better. Now going up the food chain in Sonus Faber could pose a different conclusion.

The Mira 2 are better than the original ones, since it uses the same drivers(midrange & tweeter) as its bigger brother Aviors(29k-- -yikes!!!). The difference may still not be worth spending an extra 6k.

I totally agree, in fact when I listened to the Cremona I felt that they were a tad warmer and way more lifeless/laid back then the 7t's. In fact my dealer said the Cremona were more "romantic" sounding then the aerial and I can see why with their more laid back and slight warmth compared to the aerials. Now with the Mira I didn't listen to the newer version so I cannot comment although I wish I had when I was there but I didn't want to color my view of the Cremona by listening to them.

Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 02:40 PM 03-18-2012
Damn it lol. I got excited thinking they were made in Denmark. No biggie, as long as build quality is good.
cb450r's Avatar cb450r 02:46 PM 03-18-2012
I know the cabinets were very solid when I knocked on them with my knuckles and the fit/finish looked great. In fact when I looked at the clear on the rosewood pair I demo'ed it appeared to be at least 1/8th inch thick. Almost looked like they were dipped into an epoxy resin lol.
Class A's Avatar Class A 04:32 PM 03-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Very interesting. I'd like to audition these, but there's only 2 places that carry aerial and I think the closest is pretty damn far (gotta confirm with mapquest), not to mention both places is by appointment only. Hopefully they carry the S8's as well so I can compare.

Can you get any sort of discount on the 7T's? I know you can get about 10% off the S8's, hopefully you can get something off the Aerials. That could be a big deciding factor as well.

Don't know how close you are to NH. But they have a pair of 7T's in their highend demo room. You can compare them to Thiel 3.7's, Revel Salons or B&W 802D's. They also have a pair of Pardigms in another room. I know they usually give me a 10% discount in addition NH has no sales tax so you could get some nice savings.
gillcup's Avatar gillcup 05:13 PM 03-18-2012
Quote:

Also, what center channel is supposed to go with the 7T's that are properly timbre matched? The CC5?

I bought a CC5 to go with the 7t's. They sound fine together but aren't perfectly matched IMO. I just think the 7t's are better than the CC5's. Maybe they will come out with a CC7 to match perfectly!
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 05:55 PM 03-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillcup View Post

I bought a CC5 to go with the 7t's. They sound fine together but aren't perfectly matched IMO. I just think the 7t's are better than the CC5's. Maybe they will come out with a CC7 to match perfectly!

I hope they do come out with a matching center channel for these. That's a big deal for me. A good center channel is worth its weight in gold if you ask me, and for 5 channel music, perfect timbre matching can make all the difference. The surrounds, not such a big deal for me. I hope they have plans to make a matching center. I don't want to drop that kind of money for a center channel and later find out they made a better match.

I wonder if I e-mail Aerial Acoustics if they would have an answer for me regarding a timbre matched center. I may shoot them an e-mail in the morning.
Aerialsound's Avatar Aerialsound 06:43 PM 03-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillcup View Post

Are you watching movies with the cc5?

I would not be surprised if one are in the works. The cc3 was timber matched to the 7b. That would seem like a logical move by Michael to provide a center that matches the 7 t. The question is when, if at all. I would bet... Yes and sometime in the next year or two. Only he really knows.
Aerialsound's Avatar Aerialsound 06:45 PM 03-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb450r View Post

I know the cabinets were very solid when I knocked on them with my knuckles and the fit/finish looked great. In fact when I looked at the clear on the rosewood pair I demo'ed it appeared to be at least 1/8th inch thick. Almost looked like they were dipped into an epoxy resin lol.

It is 9 layers of laminated wood...forced into a curved with the heavily braced internals.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 07:16 PM 03-18-2012
Where the 7T's always made in china or where they made in Denmark originally, then recently moved to china?

And yes, I gotta find out if they plan on making a center channel for these. I'll e-mail them tomorrow morning, hopefully they'll have an answer for me.
Aerialsound's Avatar Aerialsound 07:20 PM 03-18-2012
Quote:

Where the 7T's always made in china or where they made in Denmark originally, then recently moved to china?

And yes, I gotta find out if they plan on making a center channel for these. I'll e-mail them tomorrow morning, hopefully they'll have an answer for me.

Originally made in Denmark. I believe that the 7t were the first set made in china
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 08:29 PM 03-18-2012
Okay, so all the 7T's were made in China. I thought the first batch was made in Denmark, then moved to China.

How much does the CC5 Center retail at? I would assume whatever it retails at, a perfectly matched center to the 7T's would probably cost a little more.
trek737's Avatar trek737 02:49 AM 03-19-2012
trek737's Avatar trek737 02:55 AM 03-19-2012
There are rumors that Aerial is coming out with a CC3C center. If so it may match with the 7T's. This might be a good question for Michael Kelly.

CC5 retails for $4500.00.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 05:33 AM 03-19-2012
Damn trek, you got their flagship speakers!? How do those puppies sound?

I just sent Aerial Acoustics and e-mail regarding the center channel speaker for the 7T's. When they respond, I'll let you know what they said.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 06:51 AM 03-19-2012
It looks like Michael Kelly himself responded to my e-mail. Here it is:

"Hello Mario,

Thank you for your email. We have 2 excellent neutral center speakers, the new CC3C and the top-of-the-line CC5. They both work very well with the 7T due to their neutrality and environmental controls which provide correct response in a number of locations. We are working on a dedicated center for the 7T too. Timing is 6-12 months. That is all I can say about it. If that kind of timing works for you on the center, you would be safe proceeding with the 7Ts.

Thank you again.

Michael Kelly"

So it looks like there are plans for a center speaker for the 7Ts!
Aerialsound's Avatar Aerialsound 08:17 AM 03-19-2012
Quote:

Okay, so all the 7T's were made in China. I thought the first batch was made in Denmark, then moved to China.

How much does the CC5 Center retail at? I would assume whatever it retails at, a perfectly matched center to the 7T's would probably cost a little more.

let me clarify. the cabinets are made in China. the 7t drivers and cabinets are assembled in the Us
Aerialsound's Avatar Aerialsound 08:20 AM 03-19-2012
Quote:

It looks like Michael Kelly himself responded to my e-mail. Here it is:

"Hello Mario,

Thank you for your email. We have 2 excellent neutral center speakers, the new CC3C and the top-of-the-line CC5. They both work very well with the 7T due to their neutrality and environmental controls which provide correct response in a number of locations. We are working on a dedicated center for the 7T too. Timing is 6-12 months. That is all I can say about it. If that kind of timing works for you on the center, you would be safe proceeding with the 7Ts.

Thank you again.

Michael Kelly"

So it looks like there are plans for a center speaker for the 7Ts!

That sounds fantastic. that should settle and buying decisions for the center
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 08:46 AM 03-19-2012
Yeah its good to hear lol. I'm hoping its similar to the robustness of the CC5, just better timbre matching, perhaps housing the same mid range driver, and hoping the efficiency is about the same as the 7T's.

Quote:

let me clarify. the cabinets are made in China. the 7t drivers and cabinets are assembled in the Us

I would hope so lol. I just thought the first batch of 7T's were made entirely in Denmark, then moved to China, rather then that particular model being entirely made in China from the beginning. I understand now.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 01:46 PM 03-19-2012
One more question before this thread fades into the distance. Since I was looking to compare the S8 and the 7T, the S8 claims a sensitivity of 89 db anechoic and 92 typical listening room while the 7T just lists 89db. Is the rating on the 7T anechoic or room? If its anechoic, then I'd assume the efficiency is about the same, which would be pretty damn good.
Class A's Avatar Class A 02:20 PM 03-19-2012
Quote:

Originally he tried China but he found the work inconsistant and not up to his standards. So he went back to his cabinet maker in Denmark which he has used to make cabinets for his whole speaker line. Michael Kelly is a perfectionist that's why it usually takes him so long to release a new product. But the end results are speakers like 7T's and 20T's. Well worth the wait.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 02:33 PM 03-19-2012
Oh so, the 7T's are now made in Denmark? Lol I'm sorry
Class A's Avatar Class A 03:32 PM 03-19-2012
The finished cabinets are sent from Denmark and the speaker is put together in Wellsley Hills Massacusetts. The name of the cabinet company is Hornset Cabinets, they also make speaker cabinets for Audio Physic, Naim, Linn and Dali.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 03:59 PM 03-19-2012
oh wow. Which speakers did he have made in China where he didn't like the consistency of the quality?
Class A's Avatar Class A 04:16 PM 03-19-2012
He originally tried to get the 7T cabinets made in China but the quality was inconsistant and the shipping was not very timely. So he went back to his old company in Denmark. Also Hornset has a special process in designing curved cabinets. There is some info about them online.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 04:35 PM 03-19-2012
This is very interesting lol. It makes me want to get these speakers in Maple or Rosewood rather then black. It just looks so good lol. Hopefully it won't be too distracting during dark movies. That's why I wanted black.

Do you happen to know anything about how Michael obtains his sensitivity ratings? Is it in an anechoic chamber or in a typical listening room. I noticed Paradigm lists both.
beaveav's Avatar beaveav 04:46 PM 03-19-2012
Blackdevil, see the Stereophile review for data on the 7Ts.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...r-measurements

It shows their sensitivity measured lower than spec. I don't think they've reviewed any of the newest Paradigm Sigs for comparison, though.
Class A's Avatar Class A 05:21 PM 03-19-2012
Quote:

This is very interesting lol. It makes me want to get these speakers in Maple or Rosewood rather then black. It just looks so good lol. Hopefully it won't be too distracting during dark movies. That's why I wanted black.

Do you happen to know anything about how Michael obtains his sensitivity ratings? Is it in an anechoic chamber or in a typical listening room. I noticed Paradigm lists both.

That I don't know. But when he first demoed these speakers at (I think it was) the Rocky Mountain Audio Show he used a Peachtree integrated to show that you didn't need a great deal of power to run these speakers. I think your Outlaw will be more than sufficent. Try to find a place to demo them they are fantastic. For me I don't have the finances to afford them but I'm more than happy w/my set up of 6's, 5's for the rears and a CC-3 center.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 05:46 PM 03-19-2012
That is awesome. So I'm sure they'll have plenty of push behind them with an Outlaw 7900. And being 4 ohm speakers, they'll actually be getting 450 watts from the Outlaw amp. If they change anything with the center channel they're making, I hope it's the sensitivity to match that of the 7T's. I remember reading the CC5 needs quite a robust amp to power it, with it's 86db rating. If they made a CC5 with the same tweeter, midrange driver and same sensitivity rating, sign me up. I don't care if it's 600 pounds lol.
gillcup's Avatar gillcup 05:46 PM 03-19-2012
Quote:

Are you watching movies with the cc5?

Yes, I this is my main system which I use for audio and video. I use it for video (DVD 's & Blu-ray) as well as 5.1 DVD-A and SACD. The latter being most critical for me.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 08:20 PM 03-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

Blackdevil, see the Stereophile review for data on the 7Ts.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...r-measurements

It shows their sensitivity measured lower than spec. I don't think they've reviewed any of the newest Paradigm Sigs for comparison, though.

I read that. I didn't see an actual measurement, he said he estimated the sensitivity would be 86.6db. Is that an actual measurement, or an estimate?
1  2 3  4 

Up
Mobile  Desktop