Aerial Acoustics 7T Review on Hometheaterreview.com - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 92 Old 03-15-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hometheaterreview.com gave these speakers a very VERY high rating. In fact, they received a perfect score. I'm pretty much sold on the Paradigm S8 v3's, but these costing around the same seem like another viable option. Anybody have experience with both the Aerial Acoustic 7T speakers and the Paradigm S8 v3's? What are your thoughts/impressions on the two? Hopefully I can find a place that sells both to do an A/B comparison, but the odds are there isn't a place around me lol.

Here's a link to the review:

http://hometheaterreview.com/aerial-...aker-reviewed/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Do some paper spec comparisons and choose the ones that match your requirements. Or go hard and buy both to compare at home!
post #3 of 92 Old 03-16-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Hometheaterreview.com gave these speakers a very VERY high rating. In fact, they received a perfect score. I'm pretty much sold on the Paradigm S8 v3's, but these costing around the same seem like another viable option. Anybody have experience with both the Aerial Acoustic 7T speakers and the Paradigm S8 v3's? What are your thoughts/impressions on the two? Hopefully I can find a place that sells both to do an A/B comparison, but the odds are there isn't a place around me lol.

Here's a link to the review:

http://hometheaterreview.com/aerial-...aker-reviewed/

Wish I could give advice on the two above speakers but I have not heard them. I can tell you that I have the Aerial 7B's, CC3B and SW12 and love them. I am sure that the 7T's are even better. I just ordered the 20T 2V's and a CC5, SR3 and another SW12 that arrive today.

I guess what I am saying that you can not go wrong with Aerial speakers. They have great dynamic sound and Michael Kelly is the nicest man in the business and provides great service after the sale.

Best of luck on your decision!

Jim
post #4 of 92 Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Both represent a major paradigm (no pun intended) shift in upscale audio. The comparative values are off the charts for the money, which is still not insubstantial ... but considerably less than many of the best available, which the audiophile press hold as icons of performance/design.

If it were me, it would be the 7Ts, even with the added cost over the S8s.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
post #5 of 92 Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's for the responses guys. I have a slight feeling that the Aerials may have the edge with mid range performance, but the S8's may have the edge with the highs with their beryllium tweeters. I could be wrong. I wish my local audio shop carried Aerial speakers for auditioning
post #6 of 92 Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The dealer I go to carries both Paradigms and Aerials. The Paradigms are very good but the Aerials are in another class. A very balanced sound from the top end to the bottom end. Soundstage is deep and wide. Plus the fit and finish between the two is no comparison. Aerial cabinets are made in Denmark. And if you know the reputation of fine danish furniture these are a prime example.
post #7 of 92 Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
According to posters here on AVS the Aerial 7ts are "way better" than the Revel Ultima Salon2s, so I imagine they would stack pretty well with the Paradigm S8s.
post #8 of 92 Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Very interesting. I'd like to audition these, but there's only 2 places that carry aerial and I think the closest is pretty damn far (gotta confirm with mapquest), not to mention both places is by appointment only. Hopefully they carry the S8's as well so I can compare.

Can you get any sort of discount on the 7T's? I know you can get about 10% off the S8's, hopefully you can get something off the Aerials. That could be a big deciding factor as well.
post #9 of 92 Old 03-17-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I recently had the pleasure of listening to those 7t's and although I did not a/b them against the digm's, in my head they sounded leaps and bounds better. The 7t is a world class speaker. I would pick it over any of the Paradigm speakers.
post #10 of 92 Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently got the pleasure of listening to the 7t's and was really impressed, I was previously looking at the MA PL300's and now face a huge dilemma as there are no AA dealers in Ontario so it's going to be tough to hear them again. Those of you who own the 7t's would you mind telling me what you're driving them with, I have the original D2 and the A7.
post #11 of 92 Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You all seem to speak very highly of these 7T's so they certainly seem like they're worth looking into. I just hope Aerial dealers have some play with the price. The full price would certainly hurt the wallet lol. I'm sure an Outlaw 7900 would be enough amp for these speakers lol
post #12 of 92 Old 03-17-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Okay, the only 2 places near me that even show up at all on Aerial Acoustics website are custom installers, and to my understanding these places don't even have showrooms. I guess auditioning these speakers is out lol
post #13 of 92 Old 03-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitl View Post

Those of you who own the 7t's would you mind telling me what you're driving them with, I have the original D2 and the A7.

I'm driving my 7t's with an Arcam P1000 (external amp). When I auditioned they powered with much less powerful amp and they still sounded great.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #14 of 92 Old 03-17-2012, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillcup View Post

I'm driving my 7t's with an Arcam P1000 (external amp). When I auditioned they powered with much less powerful amp and they still sounded great.

Whatever speakers I end up getting, they will be powered by an Outlaw 7900 amp, which gives out a high current 300 watts into 8 ohms and 450 into 4 ohms. That's gotta be enough to get the full potential out of the 7T's I'm sure. Also, what center channel is supposed to go with the 7T's that are properly timbre matched? The CC5?

And nobody that bought the 7T's knows if dealers have any leeway with the price?
post #15 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 AM

Just got my Sterophile magazine for the April issue.

Page 107 List; Aerial Acoustics 7T speaker as a Class A (Restricted Extreme LF)!

They say, "The 7T provided a well-balanced sound overall, with a stable soundstage, pinpoint imaging, detailed and transparent highs, a gorgeous midrange, and neutrally balanced bass. The 7T is so good that is should provide and listener with joyful musical communication."

Would love to hear Michael Kelly's newest speaker. I am very happy to see others at Sterophile like it enough to make it on this list!

Jim

The full review was Vol 35, No.3. Which means it was last month and somehow I missed it. I will go back to see if I can find it...
post #16 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow. Definitely seems like a highly respected speaker and everybody keeps emphasizing the midrange capabilities.

Anyone on the East Coast have these bad boys that wouldn't mind giving a fellow AVS member a listen? lol

What does Restricted Extreme LF mean? Pardon my ignorance lol. I'm guessing LF is low frequency
post #17 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:

What does Restricted Extreme LF mean? Pardon my ignorance lol. I'm guessing LF is low frequency

Full range goes down to 20Hz
Restricted Extreme LF class means it must reach down to at least 40Hz

Here is Stereophile's review on the 7T:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...7t-loudspeaker
post #18 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Liked: 10
I just recently auditioned these speakers at a local dealer, they had an entire Electrocompaniet front end using the NEMO amps to power them. I believe the connections were made with all top end transparent cable. I really liked this speaker and thought it did everything right. The top end was detailed and UN fatiguing very airy and smooth, the midrange was well balanced and right with no over emphasis or bloat. The bottom end was at times too laid back but when I moved to another seat just behind where I was doing my initial demo the bottom end came back and was right where it should have been. Even the sales guy mentioned that he didn't like where they were positioned and that he had not spiked them in place (they were just sitting on their pedestal with no feet or spikes.) Once he had a chance to better fine tune them to their room and spike them in place the bass should hone in and tighten up on their sweet spot demo seat.
I am in the market for new speakers and was really wanting to go with the Salk ht3 or his new ss8 but not having heard those or knowing anyone that could compare those to the new aerial I am going to gave to go on what I heard. And I think the aerial might be my new speaker. Just for reference the other speaker I have heard in this room were the Rockport Mira and those sound fanatic but they are 16k! I honestly think the Aerial hold its own against that fantastic speaker for quite a bit less.
post #19 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ah okay I see. I'd love to hear these bad boys when the time comes. They will be mated with a subwoofer of course.

Here's another review of the 7T's. I'm still looking for a review that has 1 bad thing to say about these speakers, or even something that they found not quite what they wanted/expected. Seems damn near perfect to the reviewers ears so far.

http://www.avguide.com/review/aerial...peaker-tas-218
post #20 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 AM

I have not heard them but all of the reviews are raving about this speaker! All of the ground work is there for you and it is rather simple from here. It just boils down to how do you like the 7Ts, and what you are willing to spend in the speaker department.
post #21 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

That's for the responses guys. I have a slight feeling that the Aerials may have the edge with mid range performance, but the S8's may have the edge with the highs with their beryllium tweeters. I could be wrong. I wish my local audio shop carried Aerial speakers for auditioning

Michael Kelly's design philosophy is to get the mid-range right and everything else will follow much easier.
post #22 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Better than the Salon's? I think it depends on your listening preference. The Salons are Amazing speakers and need space to really shine. The 7t are ideal in a typical size room.-- 20x12. Although there are owners who have installed them in a larger setting with much success. That said. I found the 7t are incredible and more musical. The Revels are more detailed but could be a bit fatiguing. Equipment(processor, cables, power conditioners,...) has a bearing on the final result. But with all components and cables being equal, the 7t are more musical and my preference over the Revel Salon/Studio.
post #23 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 11:17 AM

Not to hijack this thread, But from 1-10 where did you feel the Aerial 7t compare to the New Mira 2? The Rockport Mira 2 are some amazing pair of speakers. 10k vs 16.5 k
post #24 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 12:46 PM

My dealer just got in a pair of Mira 2's and was breaking them in for a client in the same room where the 7t's were. He had removed the Aerial speakers to do this and I didn't listen to the Mira 2 as I was there to demo his personal pair of Sonus Faber Cremona's with that visit. I had heard the first Mira though on another visit and I will say that they were more laid back and neutral then the 7t's (I thought the Aerials had a more exciting top end and was a little more lively) the Mira had better low end resolution but I think the design and driver choice could have had something to do with this as well as the fact that the Aerials weren't dialed in as well as the Mira. But the difference was minor and not worth the extra cash that they demand for them. The sound stage that the 7t's posed was wide and a mile deep with pin point imaging. Very enjoyable to listen to. I thought the Mira was a little more focused and not as immersible as the Aerials.
I would be hard pressed to spend the extra cash if I had it on the Mira over the Aerial. I really liked the 7t's! I will go back and re listen before I make a final decision and hopefully they will have the Mira2 to do a direct a/b comparison to (I'm just going on what I had heard on two different visits). I know he really wants me to demo the Sonus Faber Liuto/ REL G2 combo before I make a final decision also.
post #25 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound View Post

Better than the Salon's? I think it depends on your listening preference. The Salons are Amazing speakers and need space to really shine. The 7t are ideal in a typical size room.-- 20x12. Although there are owners who have installed them in a larger setting with much success. That said. I found the 7t are incredible and more musical. The Revels are more detailed but could be a bit fatiguing. Equipment(processor, cables, power conditioners,...) has a bearing on the final result. But with all components and cables being equal, the 7t are more musical and my preference over the Revel Salon/Studio.

My room is gonna be about 14 X 25. I'm sure either the S8's or 7T's would be good in this room. My monitor 7 v3's are a tad bright for my tastes. I like the detail and sparkle, but I'd like it without the harshness when pushed and the ear fatigue. I'm sure a speaker like the 7T would more then satisfy.
post #26 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 PM

Edit: double post removed.
post #27 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb450r View Post

My dealer just got in a pair of Mira 2's and was breaking them in for a client in the same room where the 7t's were. He had removed the Aerial speakers to do this and I didn't listen to the Mira 2 as I was there to demo his personal pair of Sonus Faber Cremona's with that visit. I had heard the first Mira though on another visit and I will say that they were more laid back and neutral then the 7t's (I thought the Aerials had a more exciting top end and was a little more lively) the Mira had better low end resolution but I think the design and driver choice could have had something to do with this as well as the fact that the Aerials weren't dialed in as well as the Mira. But the difference was minor and not worth the extra cash that they demand for them. The sound stage that the 7t's posed was wide and a mile deep with pin point imaging. Very enjoyable to listen to. I thought the Mira was a little more focused and not as immersible as the Aerials.
I would be hard pressed to spend the extra cash if I had it on the Mira over the Aerial. I really liked the 7t's! I will go back and re listen before I make a final decision and hopefully they will have the Mira2 to do a direct a/b comparison to (I'm just going on what I had heard on two different visits). I know he really wants me to demo the Sonus Faber Liuto/ REL G2 combo before I make a final decision also.

Good to hear, PLEASE post back your final impressions when you listen again
post #28 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 PM

I will, I know my dealer is real finicky with set up and was hesitant to do a direct A/B between the Cremona and the 7t's on the spot for me because he wouldn't have set up the aerials properly and didn't want to just plop them in next to the Cremona without proper toe in and distancing. He did say give him time and he would be glad to do this but felt it wouldn't be fair to do without a proper set up. I told him if anything I could at least her the sonic differences as well as voicing differences but I would give him the benefit and do it properly. I plan to go back in a week or two.
post #29 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 PM

The Aerial 7t would destroy the Sonus Faber Cremona(at the roughly same price point)... A friend did a comaprison with those and Aerial 7t...he wished he bought the Aerial 7ts. Now going up the food chain in Sonus Faber could be better ...I have no knowledge or that though

The Mira 2 are better than the original MIRA, since it uses the same drivers(midrange & tweeter) as its bigger brother Aviors(29k-- -yikes!!!). The difference may still not be worth spending an extra 6k.
post #30 of 92 Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:

My room is gonna be about 14 X 25. I'm sure either the S8's or 7T's would be good in this room. My monitor 7 v3's are a tad bright for my tastes. I like the detail and sparkle, but I'd like it without the harshness when pushed and the ear fatigue. I'm sure a speaker like the 7T would more then satisfy.

The S8 will be brighter and a bit fatiguing to me. Yet it is a great speaker for the cost. Lots of folks like either the S8 or the Aerial 7t. It is a matter of preference. I like the 7 t better. That said I like the Revel more so than the S8. Confused? If you like detail... The Revel sounded better to me the S8, although excellent and a great value the Revel had better driver integration. I had the luck of listening to them on the same components. Variation in components will cause differences in your review.

The 7t cabinets are now made in China, no longer Denmark to keep the cost down. The rosewood finish is quiet nice. Wish Michael would build a companion center channel for the 7 t. He is coming out with a cc3 c version, that will be closer to the 7t drivers. I have the CC5 and it is suppose to integrate well with Aerial 7t and Rockport Mira.

The 7t are a great value and could sell for more than their current asking price. However, if they would ever to move their price point beyond 15k, the Aerial would have more competition and alternatives.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page