Any experience with HTD Level 2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a budget set of L/C/R speakers that will be used with a pretty good sub. I had decided on the Infinity Primus P153s with a PC251 for the center until I happened upon the HTDs. Any thoughts on these?

By the way, I have a height constraint of 13", and these will be placed on bookshelves, so rear-ports are out.

These will be driven with a Denon AVR-1912.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminyard View Post

I need a budget set of L/C/R speakers that will be used with a pretty good sub. I had decided on the Infinity Primus P153s with a PC251 for the center until I happened upon the HTDs. Any thoughts on these?
These will be driven with a Denon AVR-1912.

You can not lose with either one - however the HTD overall balance,
sounds better with music and home theater to me.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Would you set crossovers on the HTDs at 80 Hz, or can they really go lower than that?
post #4 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminyard View Post

Would you set crossovers on the HTDs at 80 Hz, or can they really go lower than that?

80 hz

post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You can not lose with either one - however the HTD overall balance,

sounds better with music and home theater to me.

Doesn't that essentially mean they're better in every way in your opinion? By Home Theater I'm guessing you mean movies, and you also said music... That only leaves games? Why would any speakers be particularly better for games than anything else? Boosted treble for popping sound effects? Lol.

Could you expand on your thoughts? It's not the first time I've heard this now and it's strange because the reason I got the Infinty Primus 363's is because that's what I kept hearing about them, like in comparison to the Energy RC-70 towers where the Energy's had harsher treble and were generally worse for music, while the Infinity speakers were more balanced and neutral.

Now in comparison to the HTD's, I'm now hearing that the P363's are harsh and worse for music. How horrible must the Energy speakers be then? >.< (I generally don't like unnatural exaggerated treble)
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Do the Infinities P363's sound harsh and worse for music to you? Compared to what? I would say if you like the Primus, don't worry about what might sound better...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

Doesn't that essentially mean they're better in every way in your opinion? By Home Theater I'm guessing you mean movies, and you also said music... That only leaves games? Why would any speakers be particularly better for games than anything else? Boosted treble for popping sound effects? Lol.
Could you expand on your thoughts? It's not the first time I've heard this now and it's strange because the reason I got the Infinty Primus 363's is because that's what I kept hearing about them, like in comparison to the Energy RC-70 towers where the Energy's had harsher treble and were generally worse for music, while the Infinity speakers were more balanced and neutral.

If a speaker is good for home theater, it will also be good for games. While I prefer the HTD,
the Infinity is still a nice speaker - there are a lot of people who enjoy the Infinity - and if they
sound good to you, then continue to enjoy them.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

Now in comparison to the HTD's, I'm now hearing that the P363's are harsh and worse for music. How horrible must the Energy speakers be then? >.< (I generally don't like unnatural exaggerated treble)

I have never heard that about RC-70's, they're great for music. Maybe you meant the Energy CF-70?

The RC-70 has a mellow laid back sound, you'd be the first to call them harsh.

Afro GT
post #9 of 9 Old 06-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Do the Infinities P363's sound harsh and worse for music to you? Compared to what? I would say if you like the Primus, don't worry about what might sound better...

At the time I made the statement, I haven't actually heard them yet. I was just nervous about my decision having ordered them after looking into so much only to hear the statement about the Level 2's in multiple places. Having heard them now, adjusting them with precision, before and after calibration, I would actually say they sound light on the mids and a bit hollow, unfortunately... It's very obvious with metal music that has a lot of crunch to it or anything that has a lot of warmth like maybe music with a brass ensemble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

If a speaker is good for home theater, it will also be good for games. While I prefer the HTD,
the Infinity is still a nice speaker - there are a lot of people who enjoy the Infinity - and if they
sound good to you, then continue to enjoy them.

Exactly.. Again, I wasn't sure what you meant "good for home theater" and now you just repeated the statement. As I mentioned above though, based on my listening experience, I can see how what you mentioned about a speaker (in this case the HTD) could actually be true relative to the Infinity's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I have never heard that about RC-70's, they're great for music. Maybe you meant the Energy CF-70?
The RC-70 has a mellow laid back sound, you'd be the first to call them harsh.

The Energy CF-70 even more so. The RC-70 it's not me calling them harsh, I have no idea. On multiple forums I've encountered that statement, especially when spoken about in comparison.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page