Completing Setup: Advice Needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-16-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have learned a ton from reading the information posted on here, but I am looking for some specific advice / tips on how to round out my system. Here is what I have started with:

Pioneer VSX-821

Polk Audio Monitor40 (Pair)

I managed to pick these up from New Egg for 299 shipped which I thought was a great deal. I did a lot of research before I purchased and it seems like this setup is going to really meet my needs. What do you all think? How did I do?

I want to use this as my starting point for a 5.1 setup Home Theater. I have a fairly large room that this system will go into. 24' x 24'. I am not looking to crack my neighbors foundations, just good solid all around sound.

So what comes next? Is a center channel more essential than a powered sub? Should I use the A40s for rears and get some larger for the front?

I would love to hear any advice and tips that any of you have.

Thanks much,

Stroth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 156
For me...getting a decent sub would be my next move...then a CS1/2 center channel speaker...then surrounds.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 5 Old 03-16-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
^^^+1

24' X 24' is a pretty big room so that's gunna take some sub power to fill it...... Also a perfectly square room or a rectangular room with one dimension twice the other are the worst shaped rooms for bass, cuz of standing waves and cancelization, lots of modes and nulls in the room.

I would recommend dual subs for a situation like that. Use 1 in the "sweet" spot wherever the sub crawl tells you to (maybe one of the front corners) and then use the second sub near field (like behind the couch or beside it as an end table). By doing this it will help even out your bass response and you will be sure to have bass at the main listening position.

Shawn
post #4 of 5 Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 AM
NBR

Liked: 10
In your shoe, I would buy good subwoofer(s) from Hsu or one of the well established ID subwoofer company. Buy the CS2 center. Depending on what you buy next. If you go floorstanding; move your current speakers to surrounds. If not, buy bookshelves and complete your set up.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Yep. Your room is very big. Best to look at a 12" sub from Outlaw, Epik, Rythmik, HSU, or SVS. But if your budget won't allow that, about the lowest price sub I would recommend is the Premier Acoustics PA-150. Read about it in this thread: http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1280810. The PA-150 has been professionally reviewed and shown to be an excellent performer for its price.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page