Will this work (2 left/2 right fronts) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I originally bought my Denon AVR-1912, I bought a 5.1 sub/satellite system, which is not making me happy. The satellites are mounted on the ceiling, and they are only able to reach down to 150 Hz. I am planning to buy 2 bookshelf speakers to go beside the TV. Is there any reason that I can't add a speaker selector and use both the satellites and the bookshelf speakers across the front? I realize that the crossover will be set around 80 Hz for the bookshelf speakers, and that the sub will no longer be filling that gap, but will this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Will it work? Sure. Do you really want to do that? Probably not.

The front channels should be matched as closely as possible, which it sounds like yours will be anything but. You also say the new speakers will be crossed at 80Hz, but since they'll be attached to the same front amplifier channels as the ones in the ceiling -- and those can only get down to 150Hz -- you'll end up with a lot of distortion. You also risk damaging them. Basically what you're proposing is a bad idea from a couple of different angles.

If the speakers in the ceiling are not providing what you want them you should either upgrade those to something better or eliminate them and get new (matched) speakers for the L/C/R.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page