Speakers for kitchen/dining room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My kitchen and dinning room are joined together like one large room, only separated by a bar stand.

At the end of dinning room, across bar stand in the kitchen, I want to hang a 47" tv that was replaced by 70" in my living room. This way, the sound and video will be facing anyone who is doing something in kitchen.

That old tv I plan to use mostly for cable channels and for playing music.

What is best option for speaker selection? And what kind of AV receiver would I need?

For speakers I can't decide if I should use 2 or 2.1 speaker stereo or a sound bar... was also thinking about those wall-built-in speakers.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone?
post #3 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdar1987 View Post

My kitchen and dinning room are joined together like one large room, only separated by a bar stand.

At the end of dinning room, across bar stand in the kitchen, I want to hang a 47" tv that was replaced by 70" in my living room. This way, the sound and video will be facing anyone who is doing something in kitchen.

What is best option for speaker selection? And what kind of AV receiver would I need?

For speakers I can't decide if I should use 2 or 2.1 speaker stereo or a sound bar... was also thinking about those wall-built-in speakers.

Any ideas?

Budget?

Space/size limitations for the speakers and sub?

Thanks.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdar1987 View Post

Any ideas?

Lots of people recommend components that they own, including myself. In this case my recommendation would be the Audioengine A5's. If your TV has audio outputs, and a few apps like You Tube and Pandora, you have your wish, using the minimalist approach...no extra equipment. First thought is that you don't need to spend money on a receiver or a sound bar, and you can omit the cable box as well. The audioengine A 5's are powered- (the left spkr has a 50 watt amp built inside.) You need an ac receptacle close by to power them up, and you will need to connect the two spkrs together with one strand of supplied spkr wire. One connection from an audio out from the TV to the input on the Audioengine, and your in business. You'll be listening to endless music on Pandora and anything you're watching on TV, all through the Audioengines.
Of coarse, if you want The High Def cable box, DVR usage, or the ability to play CD's, then you'll need to spend your money on those components, and deal with installation issues.
The Audioengines are smallish spkrs, but provide audiophile grade sound, even without a subwoofer. However, if you have the space you could hook one up later. Check them out. I also purchased the wireless kit, and send music stored on my laptop to the spkrs with no wires.

Espo77
post #5 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Lots of people recommend components that they own, including myself.

I agree.

In my case I had everything in the living room and if needed, just upped the volume a little bit for kitchen use.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 397
As was mentioned, we tend to recommend stuff we own-especially if we like it.

If you're budget allows, and your love of music is great enough, I highly recommend Sonos. You can start with a single component for $300.00-400.00 that will give you incredibly easy access to literally a world of music, and then expand the system throughout your house. Awesome stuff.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page