Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 versus KEF Q700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-17-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all-

Has anyone A/B-ed Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 and KEF Q700s. They are in the same price range, but, I can't find a dealer who has both...
I've listened to Monitor 9s. But, they are 2.5 way speakers while Monitor 11s are 3 way..
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think it is best when spending over $1000 on speakers, you should audition them. Do you mean you can't find a KEF dealer, or one that carries both so you can A/B them?

post #3 of 9 Old 03-18-2012, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

I think it is best when spending over $1000 on speakers, you should audition them. Do you mean you can't find a KEF dealer, or one that carries both so you can A/B them?

Yes. I can't find a dealer who carries both Kef Q700/900 and Paradigm Monitor 11 so that I can A/B them. The problem is, each of these guys have different pre-amp+amplifier and listening to them on different days is not helping me.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm still trying to decide if going from OMD-15's to Q700's is an upgrade or not.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-18-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I shopped for speakers a year ago and ended up torn between the KEF Q900 and the PSB Image T6. They are both wonderful speakers. I didn't think the Q700 was nearly as good though. I have the older KEF iQ9 speakers in my den at one house, and I like them much better than the Q700.

I ended up buying the PSB Image T6 speakers, but it was a very close call one way or the other. I love them , but I am sure the Q900 would have been great too.

The Q900 has enough really low bass, below 30 Hz, that you can pretty much forget about a subwoofer, which could be a big advantage to a lot of people. The T6 has good bass, but doesn't go quite as low.

The interaction between the amplifier and the speaker, and your acoustics, are the largest variables in speaker performance. I would ONLY do the final audition at home in your system. Anything else is pretty much a waste of time. You won't know what you are buying until you hear it interact with your amplifier and your room. If your local dealer won't work with you on that, there are online dealers that will give you 30 days to audition and return.

Also, the Q900 is going to be a somewhat more difficult load for any amplifier than a lot of others. What are you going to be driving them with? You should pull up the Stereophile review on them and look at the frequency response vs Impedance curve for them. You should do that for any speaker you are considering.

I know nothing about that model Paradigm speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisbeautiful View Post

Yes. I can't find a dealer who carries both Kef Q700/900 and Paradigm Monitor 11 so that I can A/B them. The problem is, each of these guys have different pre-amp+amplifier and listening to them on different days is not helping me.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO it would be a huge upgrade.

The Q700 is a pretty good speaker. I personally don't like the Mirage much.

On the other hand, the PSB Image T6 is IMO way better than both, and if you look at the articles on them in Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, and other publications, you will find some other opinions that praise them VERY highly. It is a steal at only $1300 per pair. I have had them for a year and they are excellent in every respect.

The Q900 is also excellent. I came very close to buying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I'm still trying to decide if going from OMD-15's to Q700's is an upgrade or not.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I shopped for speakers a year ago and ended up torn between the KEF Q900 and the PSB Image T6. They are both wonderful speakers. I didn't think the Q700 was nearly as good though. I have the older KEF iQ9 speakers in my den at one house, and I like them much better than the Q700.

I ended up buying the PSB Image T6 speakers, but it was a very close call one way or the other. I love them , but I am sure the Q900 would have been great too.

The Q900 has enough really low bass, below 30 Hz, that you can pretty much forget about a subwoofer, which could be a big advantage to a lot of people. The T6 has good bass, but doesn't go quite as low.

The interaction between the amplifier and the speaker, and your acoustics, are the largest variables in speaker performance. I would ONLY do the final audition at home in your system. Anything else is pretty much a waste of time. You won't know what you are buying until you hear it interact with your amplifier and your room. If your local dealer won't work with you on that, there are online dealers that will give you 30 days to audition and return.

Also, the Q900 is going to be a somewhat more difficult load for any amplifier than a lot of others. What are you going to be driving them with? You should pull up the Stereophile review on them and look at the frequency response vs Impedance curve for them. You should do that for any speaker you are considering.

I know nothing about that model Paradigm speaker.

Frequency response vs. Impedance? I believe you misspoke. You mean impedance vs. frequency, right?

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

You are quite right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

Frequency response vs. Impedance? I believe you misspoke. You mean impedance vs. frequency, right?

post #9 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM

Liked: 10
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page