Tight Budget, Huge Room, Here's my idea... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I'm moving into a new house and I'm trying to put together a system in the downstairs living area. The room is probably about 25x20 with varying ceiling height. It is basically the central part of the house and it is very open. However, I'm trying to maintain a strict budget for a system. Also, I absolutely have to use bookshelves. There is nowhere to place towers. So this is my plan for a 7.1 system:

Denon AVR-1712
Polk CSiA6 (center)
Polk RTiA3 (fronts)
2 pair Polk TSi100 (surrounds and backs)
HSU VTF-15H

I realize that the A3's might not do well in such a huge room as the fronts. I'm kind of trying to go a little bit cheaper with the speakers and make up for it with a really powerful sub which think I'm just really going to need anyways. I have maximized my budget with this system down to the dollar. Any thoughts?
Does anyone think I'm making a huge mistake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked: 15
If you're looking for cheaper, like to listen on the loud side sometimes, and using the system for movies/TV (not music so much) take a look at the BIC Accoustech products. Seem to get a lot of positive feedback (haven't heard them myself). They don't look too bad either.

For music you should make sure you like the horn sound before buying if you go that route.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlizard88 View Post

Well I'm moving into a new house and I'm trying to put together a system in the downstairs living area. The room is probably about 25x20 with varying ceiling height. It is basically the central part of the house and it is very open. However, I'm trying to maintain a strict budget for a system. Also, I absolutely have to use bookshelves. There is nowhere to place towers. So this is my plan for a 7.1 system:

Denon AVR-1712
Polk CSiA6 (center)
Polk RTiA3 (fronts)
HSU VTF-15H

I realize that the A3's might not do well in such a huge room as the fronts. I'm kind of trying to go a little bit cheaper with the speakers and make up for it with a really powerful sub which think I'm just really going to need anyways. I have maximized my budget with this system down to the dollar. Any thoughts?

If you like Polks, I would suggest the Monitor Series that go on sale every other week at Newegg.
post #4 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In that size room, with your budget, I would look into some used Klipsch Heresy's. Try and find 3 of them for the front sound stage. they will fill that size room with sound quite easily.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM

Liked: 11
If you are set on getting polk speakers i would suggest checking out the polk ebay store. Products range from old stock to refurb products but all come with a decent warranty at pretty good prices.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
High sensitivity speakers are the only way to go in a room that size, in my opinion at least 95db sensitivity.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 983
just a suggestion don't know what the exact budget you have but adding up the prices from amazon on the polk speakers and hsu sub it came out to $2065 .i'm sure you can get better prices some where on the internet but
why not look into the hsu hybrid 15 7.1 package for $2100 ship.imo these would make a big difference in your size room.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #8 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

just a suggestion
why not look into the hsu hybrid 15 7.1 package for $2100 ship.

+1

You get a break on the speakers that way since you are already planning on the VTF-15H.

post #9 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+1

you get a break on the speakers that way since you are already planning on the vtf-15h.

+2

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #10 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I took the advice of another member of this forum when i setup my large 20x24 room. With a listening position greater than 12 feet, the 1inch dome tweeter does a bad job with frequency response. Horn loaded designs for freestanding speakers or line sources for in walls generate the necessary response for a large room. I went with expensive avantgarde speakers but they sound amazing compared to my prior b&w 802 diamonds.

In the lower end i would still even consider klipsch speakers for a theater arrangement.

Blazar!
post #11 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Even though the HSU's are domes they are horn loaded domes which helps greatly. Compression drivers with horns would be the best, but I think the cheaper Klipsch tend to sound a bit harsh.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #12 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:

Denon AVR-1712
Polk CSiA6 (center)
Polk RTiA3 (fronts)
HSU VTF-15H

Can you post a picture of what this area looks like?
post #13 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM

Liked: 14
Personally, I'd go cheaper on speakers and save more for electronics for now. If you're set on a 7.1 system ASAP you'd be fine with Polk Monitor 60s (front), CS2 (center) and Monitor 30s (surround/back). Invest more money in your power and you can always upgrade the speakers down the road.
That denon will be pretty strained pushing a 7.1 in a room that size.
That Polk package will run you about $600. I'd look at receivers in the $700-1000 range for some good future-proof power. Excellent choice on the HSU sub.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Don't overspend on the receiver, and buy some good efficient speakers as others here recommend with a good subwoofer. It only takes a few watts of power to drive an efficient speaker like a Klipsch or Chase Home Theater Pro10.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I'd go with a pair of subs before adding rear surrounds.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #16 of 22 Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, well I'm leaning towards the Hsu horn tweeter package. But does anyone have any experience with these Hsu speakers? How directional are they? I'll probably have a couple of off axis seating positions in the room. I don't want to completely destroy the sound quality everywhere other than the main seating position.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

Okay, well I'm leaning towards the Hsu horn tweeter package. But does anyone have any experience with these Hsu speakers? How directional are they? I'll probably have a couple of off axis seating positions in the room. I don't want to completely destroy the sound quality everywhere other than the main seating position.

If there is anyway you can do it, I would buy a matching vertical speaker for the center and try to avoid a horizontal speaker if you want better off axis response. This is the route I went and it made a big difference for overall sound quality, especially off axis.
post #18 of 22 Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I'd go with a pair of subs before adding rear surrounds.

How do you figure that is going to happen when he is getting a $900 sub and a speaker package costing about the same. Skipping on the rears will save him 1/3 a price of the sub he is getting. He's getting a lot of different advice that is going in opposite directions. I would not spend $700 on a receiver with a budget like this, I think that would be a waste. I personally think his allocation of funds. If anything, skip on the rears, to upgrade the fronts a bit.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #19 of 22 Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well suppose I do want to upgrade the fronts. What speakers could I use as the upgrade? The Rti A3's are the best silk dome bookshelves that polk makes. What else would match the CSi A6? (And the tsi100)
post #20 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

How do you figure that is going to happen when he is getting a $900 sub and a speaker package costing about the same. Skipping on the rears will save him 1/3 a price of the sub he is getting. He's getting a lot of different advice that is going in opposite directions. I would not spend $700 on a receiver with a budget like this, I think that would be a waste. I personally think his allocation of funds. If anything, skip on the rears, to upgrade the fronts a bit.

My apologies to lizard. I really did offer shotty advice. I'm not familiar with all those Polks you chose, and made some assumptions.

I initially saw the room size and the VTF15 would not meet my desires in that size space. I have a room of similar volume and I know first hand that a second sub transformed my system. But, this is all based on our own personal goals.

I did just take the time to research all the parts and would change my suggestion. The HSU horn speakers are a step in the right direction. Horns are going to give you more punch in a room of that size. I personally think the A3's would be lost in there. Have you considered the Chase Pro10's? They are more money, but with 97db sensativity, you could easily spend less on the receiver and still have more volume. Or have you considered the used market? The Klipsch Heresy could be considered a large bookshelf and can be found all the time for $300/pair. They'd run circles around the A3's or the HSU's in that room.

Again, those extra 2 channels in 7.1 are far less valuable than putting that money into better mains or subs. I've done it.

Have you considered DIY? your money will go alot further in both the DIY or used market. For the $900 on the HSU sub, you could build a pair of THT Tubas or Bill's F20's (both huge, but can be hidden in a room that large).

Sure, these suggestions come with some compromises, but the difference in the two systems would not be subtle, it would be shocking!

Anyway, I realize we all have different priorities and goals. None of this may be for your taste, but you should research it a bit and educate yourself. Best of luck in putting your system together.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #21 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I would look at the BIC Formula series FH6-LCRs. They have dual 6.5" woofers and a horn loaded tweeter (MTM design). They are a sealed speaker and have wall mounts for both vertical and horizontal orientation (try to keep all vertical if you can). You can probably get 7 of them for about $700 shipped to your house from acousticsounddesign.com. Look at the Onkyo 709 for $480 at http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Then still get the VTF 15H.... Or maybe dual Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Pluses. I got dual Pluses when they were on sale for $998 delivered to my house.

Shawn
post #22 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

Well suppose I do want to upgrade the fronts. What speakers could I use as the upgrade? The Rti A3's are the best silk dome bookshelves that polk makes. What else would match the CSi A6? (And the tsi100)

Jump on two pairs of these for starters. Do well enough for half the price.

RTi6 at $189 a pair plus shipping.

Normally I'd agree with spending less on the rear speakers but less so in a large room, or if you're ever using it for music. And not at these prices.

Then look for a deal on the matching center, from that series.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page