Axiom m60 v3, EMPtek E55ti or Aperion Intimus 5t - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a 5.1 system and have narrowed it down to these 3 mains. I have no way of listening to them in person in my area. My room is 15 by 20 but with 2 story high vaulted ceilings. The system will be used for 75% music(mostly classic rock) and 25% movies. I have a Dennon receiver pushing out 100 watts per. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Or any other speakers I may have missed in that price range. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd24 View Post

I'm looking to buy a 5.1 system and have narrowed it down to these 3 mains. I have no way of listening to them in person in my area. My room is 15 by 20 but with 2 story high vaulted ceilings. The system will be used for 75% music(mostly classic rock) and 25% movies. I have a Dennon receiver pushing out 100 watts per. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Or any other speakers I may have missed in that price range. Thanks

Not an Axiom fan. You could buy the EmpTek and Aperion systems and listen to them head to head and keep the one you like the best. Both companies offer no hassle return policies and pay for the return shipping.
post #3 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I didn't realize I could do that with EMP.
post #4 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Axiom makes awful speakers. From your list I would go with Aperion.
post #5 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd24 View Post

Thanks. I didn't realize I could do that with EMP.

They don't offer the free return shipping on all their items, but they do with the Impression line which is what you are considering:

Quote:

FREE 30-DAY RETURN SHIPPING!
Receive FREE return shipping on any Impression Series Speaker or Subwoofer purchased. All returns must follow the guidelines of the
EMP Tek 30-Day Risk Free Trial Return and Refund Policy
except we pay the shipping costs.

I give them and Aperion credit. They put their money where their mouth is and it gives you the ability to audition in your own home. Which is critical.
post #6 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Never heard any of them, but those EMPs in High Gloss Black Ash look very stunning! Its a 3-way all sealed design, I would think they should sound good for music.

Shawn
post #7 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I would also throw in the Arx A3s which look similar to the Aperion 5Ts. The A3s use XBL2 long throw woofers and use neo planar ribbons. $499 plus shipping.
post #8 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

For those that are not familiar with EmpTek, their parent company is RBH. I have never owned EmpTek speakers, but have owned multiple RBH speakers over the years and they are excellent speakers that are usually only sold direct through higher end installers.

Aperion makes solid speakers as well and you rarely read about somebody who is unhappy with their speakers and they offer great customer service.
post #9 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I give them and Aperion credit. They put their money where their mouth is and it gives you the ability to audition in your own home. Which is critical.

Yeah if you demo Axioms and don't like them, return shipping on the M60s is around $100, i've seen used Axiom towers for sale around the net and shipping has been about $80-130.
post #10 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

I would also throw in the Arx A3s which look similar to the Aperion 5Ts. The A3s use XBL2 long throw woofers and use neo planar ribbons. $499 plus shipping.

I have heard only two speakers that use XBL2 woofers, and both seemed to be lacking in the midrange.

I'd like to hear these ARX's.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #11 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Well Axiom is definatly out then. I had been also considering the KEF iq90. But I can't find anyone carrying the matching IQ60 center anymore. I have the IQ30s in my bedroom setup and they are outstanding. what I like about the Aperions is the speakers are smaller than many of the other speakers in that price and quality range. Which means an easier sell to the wife.
post #12 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I have heard only two speakers that use XBL2 woofers, and both seemed to be lacking in the midrange.

I'd like to hear these ARX's.

I was apprehensive about Arx too, I was afraid that they would be too bass heavy with no detail. But I was wrong, they are very easy to listen to for long periods. I didn't realize at first but sat there for about 2hrs going through and re enjoying all my old cds. The reproduce strings like Dire Straits(dvd-a) and Fleetwood Mac (dvd-a) better than just about any other speakers I've demoed for long periods in home. They also do drum kicks that actually have some force behind them.
post #13 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Reading some great things about the ARX3s. And at only $500 per pair. At that price I just might sacrifice the gloss look I was looking for. The cabinet design and height was about perfect for what I was looking for. A little taller than the Aperions but not as tall as the EMPs.
post #14 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Axiom makes awful speakers. From your list I would go with Aperion.

Easy now Drew...They make decent speakers. Dont want to bring the Axiom bandwagon in here now do we hahah

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #15 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM

I havent heard any of those choices except for the emp. I currently own the emps and am very happy with them.

Check out the official emp thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=emp
post #16 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Easy now Drew...They make decent speakers. Dont want to bring the Axiom bandwagon in here now do we hahah

I guess you haven't seen this: https://www.skiingninja.com/Articles.asp?ID=173
post #17 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Just trying to keep the peace

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #18 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Maybe-

NHT Absolute Towers would be a nice and nice looking choice.

Mirage OMD-15 towers at $400 each from Vanns.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #19 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

The NHTs are very nice.. I just didn't find as many reviews on those.
post #20 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Awe man...the pics don't work.
post #21 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:

That article is so old, their forum link does not work and they no longer even host their own pictures...

That said, the OP was not even looking at the type of speakers you posted an old review about an old revision of speaker.

Why do the Axiom haters all end up being inept? There are legitimate things to slam them on...yet you all seem to dig up stupid things.
post #22 of 72 Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Why do the Axiom haters all end up being inept? There are legitimate things to slam them on...yet you all seem to dig up stupid things.

That is not true. There is no reason to slam Axiom for anything. Everything they make is similarly good to speakers costing far more.
Billy p likes this.
post #23 of 72 Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 AM

Liked: 23
I think when people put down axiom that it is just jealousy. Axiom has always done double blind listening tests and their speakers have always won!! It is true that they will score similary good or better than any other speaker out there at any price. If by chance axiom were to lose in a dbt (which I doubt as these tests are controlled) then there would be valid reasons as why they would lose!
1 speakers not toed in enough
2 speakers not toed out enough
3 wrong wires used
4 paired with wrong electronics
5 wrong test music was played
6 bad room accoustics
7 bad ears
8 faulty speakers
9 you cheated
10 your just an axiom hater

I have never seen them lose yet and am doubtful that is even possable but you never know. Go axiom!!
post #24 of 72 Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

I had the 5t's, and really didn't like them for reference sound...if you like it somewhat loud during movie playback, I would look elsewhere. You are paying for the 30 day trial, still nice, but its built into the price...inflating that price...kinda like free shipping...built into the price.
post #25 of 72 Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 AM

Liked: 12
I have Axiom M22s and M3s (on different systems) and love them both. I've heard great things about the M60s.

What you have to understand is that for some reason there is a small group of Axiom haters on this forum. I won't even try and guess why, but I wouldn't rule out the Axioms based on a small response sample on this forum.

That said, I haven't heard the others and can't recommend one over the others. Speaker preference is so persoanal that if you could afford it I would recommend getting all three and comparing them. Returns of the other two would probably be about $200, but would be worth it to get the speakers that sound best to you.

If it helps, I'd say that my Axioms, and Axioms in general, are very neutral; with very little coloration. Some people like that, some don't. To get into an even grayer area, I've used them with Onkyo, Marantz, and now Yamaha amps and they sound great with the Onkyo and Yamaha, and just okay with the Marantz. (I haven't really figured out why, but the Onkyo and Yamaha were rought 80 wpc and the Matantz was 50 wpc; so maybe that had something to do with it.)
post #26 of 72 Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 AM

Liked: 23
If it were me and I wanted to audition internet direct speakers then I would start with the companys that you do not have to pay return shipping if you do not like them. Why spend money that you don't need to on return shipping and if you do not like them you can at that time try some other internet brands but always verify what the return shipping would cost you.
post #27 of 72 Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Never heard an Axiom but I wonder why the hate as well. I thought they're the ID alternative for Paradigms which is an achievement by itself. Or is it just the hype and marketing?
post #28 of 72 Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

I think when people put down axiom that it is just jealousy. Axiom has always done double blind listening tests and their speakers have always won!! It is true that they will score similary good or better than any other speaker out there at any price. If by chance axiom were to lose in a dbt (which I doubt as these tests are controlled) then there would be valid reasons as why they would lose!
1 speakers not toed in enough
2 speakers not toed out enough
3 wrong wires used
4 paired with wrong electronics
5 wrong test music was played
6 bad room accoustics
7 bad ears
8 faulty speakers
9 you cheated
10 your just an axiom hater

I have never seen them lose yet and am doubtful that is even possable but you never know. Go axiom!!

Axiom always wins there "DBT" only when its controlled by Axiom and they use their staff.
post #29 of 72 Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Never heard an Axiom but I wonder why the hate as well. I thought they're the ID alternative for Paradigms which is an achievement by itself. Or is it just the hype and marketing?

They are Paradigm Monitor series competition, not Studio and Sig series like Axiom claims. They are also similar to EMP Teks impressions line, Polk RTi series, Aperion Intimus, lower end models of the Klipsch Ref series, and JBLs lower end models. If you get the M60s for example you getting just what you bought a $1k tower that performs on par with other $800-1200 towers. Not $4,000 towers or $15,000 towers.

If you buy Axiom speakers and are happy with them thats great. But from my experience there are better sounding speakers (subjective) better built speakers and speaker that use better quality parts that are around the same price as Axioms.

Axiom loves to tell people that you don't need high quality parts and that it just costs you extra money for nothing, but yet there speakers are the same price or sometimes more than the speakers that use higher quality parts.
post #30 of 72 Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Would you care to inform us of the legitimate issues? I'm all ears, if I was wrong with anything I've brough up before I be the first to apologize. But you got to give me more than just "your crying blood again" over and over. Tell me were I was wrong or misguided. I don't care about being challenged over this or that. But when I bring up legitimate issues and all I get is "Troll" or some childish response it makes you look like your just upset that someone picked on your speakers.

I also noticed before that you prefer Paradigm mains over the Axioms, say that over on the Axiom forum and they would have ran you out and called you all kinds of names.Troll Troll Troll Troll
Billy p likes this.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page