B&W CM9 VS Bose V35 or Magnepan 7.1?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. Please offer me some insight. I've worn myself out looking for the most awesome speakers. My plan is to buy a surround system and then add different zones (in different rooms) later. I love listening to music which is more important than listening to the surround for movies but both are important.

I looked at B&W CM9 with CMC2 Center, Denon 3312CI receiver, and DS3 Dipole speakers.

I looked at Magnepan 7.1 but the store didn't have the rear and center hooked up. I only heard the front speakers with no center and no rear. I was able to hear them with a sub and without.

With the B&W CM9 setup or even the Magnepan, I really haven't decided on a sub. A B&W store recommended Episode 650watt. I'm open to suggestions.

Right now, I'm listening to Bose V35 Home Theater System.
I'm attracted to the Bose becasue they are small and less obtrusive in my living area but really, I simply want the best sounding speakers. I have the space. I've listened to so many speakers, it's like smelling too much perfume. Everything is blurred together. Uggggg. Now I'm exhausted and confused.
I get the feeling that Bose isn't necessarily the best. They simply market better. Bose is well-known in most of the civilized world.

It's hard to know if what I'm hearing in the B&W store and the Magnepan store is accurate. The stores ar set up (acoustically) to make the speakers sound their best. Both brands sound nice. When I began having trouble deciding, this is when the Bose option came ino play.

I need an outside opinion. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by taBi_king View Post

Hi guys. Please offer me some insight. I've worn myself out looking for the most awesome speakers. My plan is to buy a surround system and then add different zones (in different rooms) later. I love listening to music which is more important than listening to the surround for movies but both are important.

I looked at B&W CM9 with CMC2 Center, Denon 3312CI receiver, and DS3 Dipole speakers.

I looked at Magnepan 7.1 but the store didn't have the rear and center hooked up. I only heard the front speakers with no center and no rear. I was able to hear them with a sub and without.

With the B&W CM9 setup or even the Magnepan, I really haven't decided on a sub. A B&W store recommended Episode 650watt. I'm open to suggestions.

Right now, I'm listening to Bose V35 Home Theater System.
I'm attracted to the Bose becasue they are small and less obtrusive in my living area but really, I simply want the best sounding speakers. I have the space. I've listened to so many speakers, it's like smelling too much perfume. Everything is blurred together. Uggggg. Now I'm exhausted and confused.
I get the feeling that Bose isn't necessarily the best. They simply market better. Bose is well-known in most of the civilized world.

It's hard to know if what I'm hearing in the B&W store and the Magnepan store is accurate. The stores ar set up (acoustically) to make the speakers sound their best. Both brands sound nice. When I began having trouble deciding, this is when the Bose option came ino play.

I need an outside opinion. Please help.

I listened to CM9's with CMC2's earlier. But I found I could get a decent discount from a local dealer against Paradigm studio 100's v5 with a cc-590 center in rosewood veneer for roughly the same pricing. IMHO much more musical then B&W's CM series when I spent time comparing B&W CM9 system to Paradigm studio system at different dealers.

I would gladly take anyone considering a Bose V35 Home Theater System out for a good stiff drink of reality, simply not a good system for music, only passes somewhat for home theater.

The Denon AVR-3312 would drive the Paradigm great, as I drive mine with a Denon AVR-2809 currently.

Against subs there are several other brands that would do you well. (Velodyne, HSU, SVS, Rythmik)

Oppo Beta Group
post #3 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Well I am not sure where to start . Did you prefer any specific speaker setup on how it sounded ? . I have listened to CM9s and I think I will enjoy them better than my current paradigms studio 40 v.3s . But they were not worth the upgrade after I heard Vandersteens. I cannot get vandys since they did not pass my wife's approval .

So long story short listen to many different brands try A/B tested testing . Try listening to ur fav songs and try to spend less

Good luck. And yes if u cannot hear difference between Bose and CM9s cause they r in different shops try going to place that can do A/B tests with Bose and other speakers .
post #4 of 7 Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Not trying to start any bashing because we have enough of that in the forums, but I'd recommend anything other than Bose. For Bose money, you could get something so much better. If small is a big factor, look at a satellite surround package from Klipsch, Onkyo, Mirage, Boston Acoustics, Yamaha... Anything other than Bose. Any of the brands I mentioned will net you the same performance for a fourth of the price of a Bose package.

As for the speakers you mentioned, the Bowers and Wilkins are damn nice and have had some pretty favorable reviews from what I've read. The midrange Denon receivers are very nice as well too. You may also want to check out some midrange Pioneer, or Yamaha receivers as well.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I think the lower end Magnepan systems, the ones you have to buy from Magnepan directly, are the best bargain in speakers available. The downside is they're big and they need a subwoofer. I wouldn't buy the Magnepan sub. I would get something from hsu, outlaw, rhythmik, etc...
post #6 of 7 Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hi JohnAV. Thanks for the info. I've been working a deal with a local store. 15% of on all the B&W stuff AND the price I pay for the items will include the sales tax without me actually paying extra for the sales tax.

Today, at different store than the B&W stuff, I tried to work a deal on the Paradigms you recommended. The store wasn't as flexible. In fact, the prices they quoted me were as much as the B&W setup. The store also quoted me a total price on Paradigm Monitor Series which ended up being about $300 less than the B&W setup I've been looking at. What do you think? If I can get a better deal on the B&W's is it worth it? Oh, and the Bose V35 is going back. haha. Thank you ALL for your input. You've helped a lot.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by taBi_king View Post

Hi JohnAV. Thanks for the info. I've been working a deal with a local store. 15% of on all the B&W stuff AND the price I pay for the items will include the sales tax without me actually paying extra for the sales tax.

Today, at different store than the B&W stuff, I tried to work a deal on the Paradigms you recommended. The store wasn't as flexible. In fact, the prices they quoted me were as much as the B&W setup. The store also quoted me a total price on Paradigm Monitor Series which ended up being about $300 less than the B&W setup I've been looking at. What do you think? If I can get a better deal on the B&W's is it worth it? Oh, and the Bose V35 is going back. haha. Thank you ALL for your input. You've helped a lot.

Getting 15% off is a good deal for the B&W CM line. Paradigms, deal only with a direct dealer, not a chain, as they can give you best discount.

Monitor setup for only $300 less then the CM setup you were discussing doesn't sound like a good deal. See this price list to compare discounting between B&W and Paradigm speakers against the speakers you are considering against their respected MSRP. The monitor series prices are not accurate on that list. They go for...
Atom Monitor: $199/ea
Mini Monitor: $279/ea
Monitor 7: $449/ea
Monitor 9: $599/ea
Monitor 11: $799/ea
Center 1: $379/ea
Center 3: $599/ea
Surround 1: $279/ea
Surround 3 $399/ea

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Speakers

User Tag List