Martin Logan Motion series, any good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Alright, so I currently have a 7.1 Mirage OMD set up but I want to upgrade. I'm looking for people's thoughts on the Motion speakers. I like because they're small and sleek and they don't weigh a ton but do they sound good? If I was to get them I would get 2 Motion 12's, a Motion C center, and 4 Motion 4's for surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I bought my dad a set of motion 12s for a stereo system and they do pretty good with music. He hasn't really played any movies with it..

I did hear the motion 4s when I was trying to figure out what bookshelves to get and imho they were on the bottom of my list out of the RC-10s, HB1 Mk2s, and S30s

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess these speakers are too new and not many people have heard them?
post #4 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 407
I got to demo some at a BB Magnolia a while back.

The 4s on their own were thin in the midrange and a tad bright with too much siblence with music. I demoed them with Sade and some Clutch (nice combo .

The 12s were pretty nice. Decent midrange, pretty detailed, overall not bad, but not worth MSRP.

I demoed them against the B&W 683s which had better midrange and highs. The 12s in comparison sounded slightly veiled. Neither had much in the way of bass, IMO.

In the same room were a pair of Deft Tech 8040STs- midrange was very nice, warm and laid back (Sade sounded awesome). Highs were also laid back and warm (a tad too much for my tastes) something that a little treble tweaking could likely fix.

And of course the 8040s had very nice bass response, not muddy or boomy in the least.

The only thing that bothered me was (and it was probably a setup issue) was when they were playing certain parts of different songs it sounded like their was an echo in the room.

Now on to movies. I went to another room where someone else was demoing a Motion 4, motion 8 and motion 2 surround. Here the thin midrange was not an issue and the brightness added a nice (though slightly unrealistic) tingle to the action scenes.

Depending on what price you can get them for the 12s, combined with the 4s and Motion C (I would pay the extra over the 8) and of course a good sub, would make a nice home theater kit.

The 12s combined with a sub would be really nice for music.

Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #5 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wouldn't consider anything from ML which doesn't have electrostatic drivers. Their conventional speakers are just a placeholder on the market.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

I wouldn't consider anything from ML which doesn't have electrostatic drivers. Their conventional speakers are just a placeholder on the market.

So how did they sound when you auditioned them?
post #7 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:

Not really. They recently released the LX16 and should soon be releasing the Motion 20 and 40 towers and probably a new center.

http://www.martinlogan.com/news/pr/2...1/motion-20-40

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #8 of 23 Old 05-04-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

To be fair to ML, they have approached the folded motion tweeter as one of their own film drivers, essentially a folded ribbon tweeter, which is anything but conventional. It brings the same precision and detail that you'd expect from a FRT. I've auditioned the Motion 12's and 10's and they do well with details in the highs without being bright like horns.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #9 of 23 Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Martin Logans in a HT setup using the 12 8 and 4 for the surronds they sound great cant beat them for the money if you can get the electromotions for the front
post #10 of 23 Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Folded ribbon tweeter is being used by QMS, Emotiva, and Golden Ear right? Those have been getting rave reviews due to the tweeter. But you're right I wouldn't touch anything non electrostat from ML. Heck even ribbon arrays are better than electrost...
post #11 of 23 Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am now in the process of upgrading to the motion series but I'm getting different speakers that what I said in my original post. I'm going to get 2 electromotion esl's for fronts, the electromotion C2 center, and 2 or 4 FX2's for surrounds. I hope this is an upgrade over my current system.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was also wondering if I should get the Motion 30 or the C2. It's weird because on their website it shows the Motion 30 as being 80 x 80 for dispersion and the C2 as being 80 x 30? Also the Motion 30 has 2 5.5" aluminum cone drivers and the C2 has 2 5.25" paper cone drivers. I think the C2 having the Folded Motion XT tweeter and larger cabinet puts it over the top though. I'm still debating on if I should get 2 Motion 40's for fronts or 2 Electromotion ESL's. I loved how the electrostatic speaker sounded but I didn't like that there's a very small sweet spot for them. I'm not sure if the Motion 40's have this same characteristic and I'm also not sure if the Motion 40's would blend well with the C2 and FX2 because the 40's don't have the XT tweeter like the other 2 speakers do. Anyway, I ordered one FX2 for now and I'm supposed to receive it tomorrow. I'm going to order one component at a time until I have the whole system. I'm just really on the fence as to whether to get the 40's or the ESL's.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have 2 motion 4's and motion 8 up front.An energy 10.3 sub and in ceiling speakers for rears and it sounds great.Stop listening to what other people think and listen to the speakers yourself.The wife loves the look of the speakers which also helps
post #14 of 23 Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavone1976 View Post

I have 2 motion 4's and motion 8 up front.An energy 10.3 sub and in ceiling speakers for rears and it sounds great.Stop listening to what other people think and listen to the speakers yourself.The wife loves the look of the speakers which also helps

I see you have great taste in movies also. biggrin.gif
post #15 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23

I have 4 LX16s and a Motion C. I don't know that I would recommend the combination for music, but it is great for theater.

There is an audible difference between the aluminum and paper cones. I prefer the aluminum ones and will eventually upgrade the center to a Motion 30.

The speakers definitely do require a break-in. My speakers have opened up dramatically since I first got them.

David
post #16 of 23 Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM

I agree with the guy above...you need to listen for yourself....but only thing you should consider is if your room is set up to implement the motion 12. They need to stay at least 2-3ft away from corners and also 2ft out from the wall behind them....if they are any closer than this you will get a bad midrange bloat due to them having the dipole midrange...their not technically dipole, their actually a Simi open baffle. Open baffle just means there is no box behind the driver. Anyhow, I do believe if you have the means to set them up correctly you will be very happy with them...also add that the more burn in time they get the better they sound....the highs become much more open and rich in detail, the midrange becomes much more relaxed and controlled and the bass will turn on...hope this helps...ill also note that the rest of the motion line are not near as picky as fare as placement goes..just keep the tweeters aimed at your head
post #17 of 23 Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 AM

I am now currently getting my sound system set up in the bedroom to go with an 8 Series Samsung 65" flat screen. My problem is that I want to over-due the sound system. Right now I have just purchased a Marantz SR 6007 and a pair of Motion 4's I thought I would use for surrounds sometime in the future. I put them on stands and positioned them right on each corner at the foot of the bed.
I cannot believe the clarity of these speakers! It is amazing how clear and precise the sound of the dialog is with these. Watching movies like the Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons, some parts are quiet during their speaking and I was able to hear them perfectly. I got tired of watching movies with my hand on the remote constantly raising and lowering the volume throughout the movie. And being able to position them right there produces great imaging. The folded tweeters are great, clean and clear voices are heard. A sub is going to be my next investment. When shopping for a sub tonight at my local B.B store where I purchased these, they have a special on the Motion 20's and 40's. Purchase the Motion or 20's or 40's and get the matching center speaker for free. Shoot, it's about a grand for a really good sub but for six hundred more I could get the Motion 20's and the center channel. My set up is going to be about 90% movies and T.V. I just don't know if I would want to plug all of those nice speakers into the SR6007. Since I am still within my 30 day trial I just might exchange it for the Marantz separates, AV7701 and MM7055 just to make sure I would be able to do those speakers justice. I am just worried that Marantz has avoided any specs for 4ohm speakers. But I really do like the sound of the Motion speakers.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaComa View Post

Since I am still within my 30 day trial I just might exchange it for the Marantz separates, AV7701 and MM7055 just to make sure I would be able to do those speakers justice. I am just worried that Marantz has avoided any specs for 4ohm speakers. But I really do like the sound of the Motion speakers.

It would be more cost effective to just add an external amp if the receiver has trouble driving the speakers.

David
post #19 of 23 Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaComa View Post

... at my local B.B store where I purchased these, they have a special on the Motion 20's and 40's. Purchase the Motion or 20's or 40's and get the matching center speaker for free.

What store would this be? I might have to see if I can get in on a deal like that.

David
post #20 of 23 Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM

The free center deal is at Best Buy - not bad. It ends April 6th I think.
post #21 of 23 Old 04-20-2013, 06:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver9i View Post

The free center deal is at Best Buy - not bad. It ends April 6th I think.

That sounded likea great deal Over for sure but can I ask what model Center speaker they were including?

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
post #22 of 23 Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I think they are including the Motion 8, not the Motion 30 which is the true match.

David
post #23 of 23 Old 12-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I was also wondering if I should get the Motion 30 or the C2. It's weird because on their website it shows the Motion 30 as being 80 x 80 for dispersion and the C2 as being 80 x 30? Also the Motion 30 has 2 5.5" aluminum cone drivers and the C2 has 2 5.25" paper cone drivers. I think the C2 having the Folded Motion XT tweeter and larger cabinet puts it over the top though. I'm still debating on if I should get 2 Motion 40's for fronts or 2 Electromotion ESL's. I loved how the electrostatic speaker sounded but I didn't like that there's a very small sweet spot for them. I'm not sure if the Motion 40's have this same characteristic and I'm also not sure if the Motion 40's would blend well with the C2 and FX2 because the 40's don't have the XT tweeter like the other 2 speakers do. Anyway, I ordered one FX2 for now and I'm supposed to receive it tomorrow. I'm going to order one component at a time until I have the whole system. I'm just really on the fence as to whether to get the 40's or the ESL's.

Hoping that you're still getting notifications for this thread, can you post what you ended up with and how you like it?? Am about to go down a similar road and would love to hear your opinions/thoughts etc.

Thanks!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page