New ED Cinema custom 9 channel build: Finally pulled the trigger - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 123 Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Don't think his speakers even exist. I though I read somewhere that they ended up having a bad paint job and needed to be redone. I think that was like a month or two ago. Seems like excuse after excuse is just stall tactics.

If I was chopshop I would work to get a full refund ASAP!. I won't wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Too bad, the same horror stories over and over again.
post #93 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

Read between the lines I guess, not good, http://forum.edesignaudio.com/showthread.php/someone-call-me-today-please-77457.html

So, is ChopShop's issue resolved yet? I feel sorry that it seems he is left all alone now after being PIED PIPERED into finally pulling the trigger. Now it seems like it's a PIN to a grenade that he pulled and the guys pushing him to pull it were the first ones to run away from him.
post #94 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Well, I feel like I should post something....my issue is resolved. I basically decided that the time frame given and the actual amount of time that has passed were so far apart, and the project still was not complete. That being said, I cancelled my order on Tuesday. My refund hit my account today, only 48hrs later. It was not the plan, but now I need to restart my search all over again. I am going to start a new thread, and have posted some questions in the JTR, Legacy and a few other threads. Thanks to all for following the thread, hopefully I will have a new and exciting one up here soon.
post #95 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 442
That's great to hear. I hope they get moving with their refunds and rectify the other matters befor the Iowa investigator shifts into gear.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #96 of 123 Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Well, I feel like I should post something....my issue is resolved. I basically decided that the time frame given and the actual amount of time that has passed were so far apart, and the project still was not complete. That being said, I cancelled my order on Tuesday. My refund hit my account today, only 48hrs later. It was not the plan, but now I need to restart my search all over again. I am going to start a new thread, and have posted some questions in the JTR, Legacy and a few other threads. Thanks to all for following the thread, hopefully I will have a new and exciting one up here soon.

Good for you that you were so lucky to get your money back. There are sorry customers who are still waiting for their refund and an overseas customer who probably will never get his money back. PEOPLE NEED TO BE WARNED ABOUT THIS COMPANY.
post #97 of 123 Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 AM

Contact was made today with an investigator from the Iowa Attorney General's office who handles consumer complaints.

If you have a legitimate issue with ED such as....

•long time unfulfilled warranty issues
•orders that you've paid for but not received in a timely fashion
•orders that you've paid for but only received a partial shipment and you've been waiting and waiting
•refunds that you still have not received
•other reasonable matters, etc.

Please send an email to steve.switzer@iowa.gov and let him know the particulars. That means stuff like what and when you ordered, how much, what you've been told, etc. Keep it factual and leave the emotions out of it.

As it stands right now, ED is a blip on the radar. If only one person complains the usual procedure is for the government to contact ED and ask for a response. This can take time. However, if everyone that is legitimately affected emails him, then quicker and more forceful measures can be undertaken. He (Steve Switzer) has been made aware that ED is delinquent in their business filings with the Iowa Secretary of State. How this impacts matters remains to be seen.

If you also want to summarize your complaint in this thread, while it may be somewhat redundant, it does provide a convenient place. I only ask that just complaints be listed and only once. This will keep it tidy and easy to navigate. If your situation needs to be updated, well that's another story.

Should anyone know other websites where ED has a presence (I doubt they'd let you post this at theirs!), please copy the particulars and make a post there.

What you guys need to do to resolve your issues with Elemental Designs.
post #98 of 123 Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Liked: 17
hey chop. I have been wiating to see your speakers since you ordered them. I know ED has screwed alot of people and didnt know if you got the short end of the stick also. I would understand if you would rather not talk about it but some sort of reply would be cool. If this didnt work out what are you shooting for now? hope all is well.
post #99 of 123 Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY12 View Post

hey chop. I have been wiating to see your speakers since you ordered them. I know ED has screwed alot of people and didnt know if you got the short end of the stick also. I would understand if you would rather not talk about it but some sort of reply would be cool. If this didnt work out what are you shooting for now? hope all is well.

Thanks Sully, as stated a few posts above, my issue was resolved. I basically offered to go to Iowa and pick up my refund in person before the end came. Within 24hrs I had my money via transfer. I just decided that I wasn't willing to take the chance. I actually have changed plans a little. I am now going to be able to do a dedicated room, so I am looking at Seaton, JTR and Danley. I still need a modest setup for the family room for mainly tv play and the occasional fight night/games. Looking at maybe something like the Kef q900 and the 600c center. My biggest dilema now is that I want a huge screen and am trying to find a pj within my budget that can light up a giant.(not a bad problem) I am just happy that I got my $$ before ed folded completely.
post #100 of 123 Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM

Cool. Glad you didn't get screwed. What is your idea of big for the screen. Also your gonna love a dedicated room. I love mine seats 9 and a 10 foot wide screen. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.
post #101 of 123 Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY12 View Post

Cool. Glad you didn't get screwed. What is your idea of big for the screen. Also your gonna love a dedicated room. I love mine seats 9 and a 10 foot wide screen. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Thanks, I appreciate it! My idea was to start out with a two row room, somewhere in the neighborhood of 18x24. When talking to my contractor(building the home now) it is a negligable difference to push the size of the room, so I figured its worth going big, even if I can't fill it right away. The new plan for the theater room is about 21x31 with 10ft ceilings. I would like to do three rows of five and a minimum of a 14' wide 2:35 screen.
post #102 of 123 Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Have you looked at building your own speakers? Those SEOS designs are supposed to be pretty nice! I am thinking about doing these for the front three:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/seos-deltalite-kit.html

And these for the sides and back:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/midsize-kits/mtg-kit.html

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #103 of 123 Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Have you looked at building your own speakers? Those SEOS designs are supposed to be pretty nice! I am thinking about doing these for the front three:
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/seos-deltalite-kit.html
And these for the sides and back:
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/midsize-kits/mtg-kit.html

I have seen them. I took a look a while back when I was searching through the 4pi stuff. They seem to be well designed and a great value. I am so gun shy after the ED debocle to go with anything without hearing it. I am still trying to arrange Seaton, Danley and JTR sessions(two members have made generous offers to let me hear their seaton systems once they are setup). I almost thought about buying a seos, seaton spark and a jtr s8 to hear them all and get a good feeling for their characterisics. I figure it would be easy enough to sell the ones I don't want in the end, but still can't get myself to pull the trigger. The one thing that I have heard so far that met my expectations was a Meridian dsp setup, but alas, it is waaaaayyyyy out of my budget.
post #104 of 123 Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

What? You don't have 40K laying around? What are you some sort of audio lightweight?

post #105 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

What? You don't have 40K laying around? What are you some sort of audio lightweight?

Hahahaha...its funny, my wife and I were talking about it last night.(she is very supportive of anything that I want to do, of course it helps that I make the $$). I am wrestling around in my head with the two theater ideas based on total cost. If I go all out, Seaton typ setup with 3chip dlp pj, etc. The cost of the equipment quickly hits $60k plus furnishings, etc. If I back down, do the room the same size, but outfit it with some more budget friendly equipment for the time being, I could do a modest theater and a pool. I talked with her and my daughter, because we will all use these things together, but its hard because they would be happy with a mediocre picture and sound and think I'm nuts to spend triple on better audio/video. I could put something like the Sho10 x7 a good "high end" reciever with a couple modest subs and and epson pj for 1/4 the cost and just upgrade down the road. Problem is that every time I use the room, I am afraid I will think about its shortcomings. I have no idea what to do....confused.gif
post #106 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

Hahahaha...its funny, my wife and I were talking about it last night.(she is very supportive of anything that I want to do, of course it helps that I make the $$). I am wrestling around in my head with the two theater ideas based on total cost. If I go all out, Seaton typ setup with 3chip dlp pj, etc. The cost of the equipment quickly hits $60k plus furnishings, etc. If I back down, do the room the same size, but outfit it with some more budget friendly equipment for the time being, I could do a modest theater and a pool. I talked with her and my daughter, because we will all use these things together, but its hard because they would be happy with a mediocre picture and sound and think I'm nuts to spend triple on better audio/video. I could put something like the Sho10 x7 a good "high end" reciever with a couple modest subs and and epson pj for 1/4 the cost and just upgrade down the road. Problem is that every time I use the room, I am afraid I will think about its shortcomings. I have no idea what to do....confused.gif

Build the pool and build a budget friendly HT. Upgrading is easy and will happen anyway ... smile.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #107 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You never get back anything close to what a pool costs and it's a turnoff for many buyers. Opt for a nice outdoor hot tub which is cheaper and can be used for far more many days. Then see what the money left over can do. IMO of course.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #108 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
It also depends on where you live. I grew up in Florida and my parents always had pools and we used it probably 9 months out of the year. As the kids in the family got older, we used it less and less, and now my parents are empty nesters and my parents rarely use it, but have to keep up the maintenance and cleaning. Pools are not a one time expense.

Chu makes a great point about the hot tub. My parents use the pool like once a month and the hot tub at least a few times a week.

Living in Minnesota there is no chance in Hades I would get a pool. Hot tub? Now your talking...

Perhaps you can meet in the middle. Budget $40K for the theater and get yourself a nice hot tub smile.gif
post #109 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah and put the hot tub in the theater and be like Hef. Maybe get a nice outdoor TV and watch Jaws.

post #110 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Of course a pool it is location dependent. In NY,MN, NH, of course not. Arizona, California ... nuther story ...
Oh, and an HT is no guaranteed ROI ... smile.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #111 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Of course a pool it is location dependent. In NY,MN, NH, of course not. Arizona, California ... nuther story ...
Oh, and an HT is no guaranteed ROI ... smile.gif

HT is definitely not a guaranteed ROI, especially if you are spending lots of money. Some people may like the idea of a HT and some people don't. Many buyers might see Bose vs Triad and get super excited for the Bose....

I sold my home in 2010 and the buyers did not want the projector, screen, speakers, etc in the media room. They had a big ugly orange oak media cabinet they paid a lot of money for and the largest screen that it would hold was like 50".. I think the husband was a little depressed, but the wife wore the pants in the family...

I regret not pulling the in-ceiling surround RBH speakers out and replacing them with Monoprice since they would not have known the difference or cared.
post #112 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 421
You know, we are allowing way too many women to wear the pants! Our jobs should be getting them out of them!
post #113 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

You know, we are allowing way too many women to wear the pants! Our jobs should be getting them out of them!
I was just talking about that with Charlie Sheen.

post #114 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha. I told my wife I was getting a new subwoofer... She was cool with that... You should have seen the look on her face when this showed up at the door:

3C882FE1.jpg

My favorite was the UPS guy... "Ummm sir... I have a very large package here and I am not sure how I am going to get it off the truck"....
post #115 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Haha. I told my wife I was getting a new subwoofer... She was cool with that... You should have seen the look on her face when this showed up at the door:
3C882FE1.jpg
My favorite was the UPS guy... "Ummm sir... I have a very large package here and I am not sure how I am going to get it off the truck"....

I know what you mean, I told my wife I had a new sub coming and what showed up was a huge truck with 1200 pounds on the pallet!
post #116 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, lots of quick replies..

I am in CT and that is why I am unsure. As many have said, if I was in SoCal or Fla, I would opt for pool easy and budget HT. The thought of a great hottub setup and ultimate HT did cross my mind, as I could afford both. When I started this thread, I dropped $6k on a seven channel setup, now I'm talking $16k in just speakers. I'm willing to do it, just makes me wonder becuase I see so many folks who are happy with 4pi, sho10s, and diy projects. It makes me wonder how large the improvments really are. I guess its subjective and I either need to bite the bullet again and spend the dough or build a couple diy projects and see how they sound. I wouldn't mind making a $6-700 investment in the seos or something like that to see if it fits the bill.
post #117 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know what you mean, I told my wife I had a new sub coming and what showed up was a huge truck with 1200 pounds on the pallet!

eek.gif That is a workout....
post #118 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, lots of quick replies..
I am in CT and that is why I am unsure. As many have said, if I was in SoCal or Fla, I would opt for pool easy and budget HT. The thought of a great hottub setup and ultimate HT did cross my mind, as I could afford both. When I started this thread, I dropped $6k on a seven channel setup, now I'm talking $16k in just speakers. I'm willing to do it, just makes me wonder becuase I see so many folks who are happy with 4pi, sho10s, and diy projects. It makes me wonder how large the improvments really are. I guess its subjective and I either need to bite the bullet again and spend the dough or build a couple diy projects and see how they sound. I wouldn't mind making a $6-700 investment in the seos or something like that to see if it fits the bill.

Have you thought of buying a SHO-10, a JRT Triple 8, etc and doing some head to head comparisons? It might be hard to really know what sound better until it is in your room and you listen to it. Return or sell the losers and keep the winner?

Kinda like what MKTheater did?
post #119 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I just built a house, am finishing the basement, have the ED12's and 6's for the media room and i built a pool in the backyard (20x40) and i'm in Canada. Pools are a money pit-no doubt, and you'll never get a cent back on them. That doesn't matter though if you and your family enjoy it. We were in there 30 times this summer and we missed the first month of swimming season. It is now closed. So it cost me around $1700 per swim! I'm hoping to lower the ratio over the next decade! All of this (AV etc) is nothing but luxury spending so don't hold back if you can afford it. get what you KNOW will make YOU happy for the theatre, then make the wife and kid(s) happy with other things. My kids absolutely love the pool as do my wife and I. From others i've talked to, adding a hot tub will actually increase one's use of BOTH items (pool and tub) as people tend to go back and forth. Although i wonder as i usually set my pool for 90-92 degrees. Good luck.
post #120 of 123 Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're looking to spend that kind of cash have you thought about Danley?

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page