New ED Cinema custom 9 channel build: Finally pulled the trigger - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 123 Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Well, I finally made a decision. After about a week of talking with Alex and Brett and Elemental Designs, I have pulled the trigger on a new setup. Back around the first of the year, I decided to take advantage of Vanns sale on Energy. Once I really evaluated my room and my goals, I realized that this system wasn't quite going to make it.

Backround: I am blessed enough to have the opportunity to be building a new home. One of the biggest things to me in the build was a media area. Well, as things would go, I decided to give up the major part of the basement to my daughter for a game room/multi purpose room for her and her friends. This left me with a lot of thinking to do in regard to how to feed my need for home theater Back around the first of the year, I decided to take advantage of the Vanns sale on energy speakers. Buyers remose set in as soon as I started trying to decide what subs to use. The room that I get to use for media after giving up the basement is huge. It is 20x28 with almost 14ft high vaulted ceilings...needles to say, I need some serious output to reach reference levels. This started my search for a new setup, which led me to JTR, ED, and a few others, My selection was somewhat limited based on form factor. This room will be used for fight night, big games, movies, cocktail hour, etc..so while WAF wasn't a factor, my appeal factor was. I really wanted something that would "blend" as much as possible in the room and look nice (not fine furniture nice, but good audio equip nice). At the end of the day, the attention I received from Alex and Brett at ED, as well as the reviews and advise of others (MK, Nezff with his new setup) made my decision for me.

So now for the fun part...What we(myself and the guys at ED) finally decided on is as follows:
1.Two ED(c) towers, upgraded and containing two 12s
2.An ED(c) center, upraded with two 12s
3.For rear and side surrounds, ED(c) 12s, upgraded and with custom enclosures to fit decor
4. Height speakers will also be ED(c) 12s, upgraded and with custom enclosures to meet optimum specs for height speaker placement relative to my room and seating position.
5. SUBS!!! I think a good bank for the buck sub that will meet my needs, and save me a few$$$, is the A7-450.....2 of them!!!

Needless to say, I am psyched like a little kid. As time goes on, I will update with pics of the build(room) along with preliminary designs,pics,etc for ED. A big thanks to James(MKtheater) for taking the time to go back and forth with me and listen to my tastes and goals and budget. Stay tuned....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mension Carp...reading your reviews of how the ED cinemas compared to the Maggies for music and how much you liked them also played a big role in my decision. I was hesitant to move to horn loaded speakers, but his gave me the final push!
post #3 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Wow that sounds like its going to be a heck of a setup! Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how much cash do the front trio set you back?
post #4 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Wow that sounds like its going to be a heck of a setup! Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how much cash do the front trio set you back?

Pm sent!
post #5 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Pm sent!

Sounds like a great setup. Please post pics when you can. I am interested in what you guys did with the surrounds.
post #6 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Congrats on your purchase; I'm sure it'll make for quite the HT experience. I look forward to seeing pictures.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #7 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys!! I will post pics of the space tomorrow.

thxman: I am interested to see the surrounds and heights as well, I kind of gave Brett artistic freedom on those. We talked about something of a modified trapezoid shape, to "melt" into the walls. I just thought this might look better due to the size of the enclosures.
post #8 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 465
You know I think it will sound great.
post #9 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys!! I will post pics of the space tomorrow.

thxman: I am interested to see the surrounds and heights as well, I kind of gave Brett artistic freedom on those. We talked about something of a modified trapezoid shape, to "melt" into the walls. I just thought this might look better due to the size of the enclosures.

Yep, I need something to fit my space, so interested on how these work for you.
post #10 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Yep, I need something to fit my space, so interested on how these work for you.

I will keep you posted
post #11 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Are there any pics out there with the cinema tower w/ 2 12's?
post #12 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

Frankie on the ED forum Photoshopped some.

post #13 of 123 Old 03-22-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Look forward to your first impressions and pics!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #14 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Is there a thread on ED forums about this?

I would question how theyre going to tackle the issue of putting two 12" drivers in a tower. That leads to center to center problems and you gotta make it a 2.5 way but with the lower woofer barely doing anything... so its like why even do it at all.

Same with putting two 12"s in a center channel... the only way to properly make a center channel with a wave guide is to put two smaller drives side by side underneath the wave guide, otherwise you have all sorts of center to center problems and lobing
post #15 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Is there a thread on ED forums about this?

I would question how theyre going to tackle the issue of putting two 12" drivers in a tower. That leads to center to center problems and you gotta make it a 2.5 way but with the lower woofer barely doing anything... so its like why even do it at all.

Same with putting two 12"s in a center channel... the only way to properly make a center channel with a wave guide is to put two smaller drives side by side underneath the wave guide, otherwise you have all sorts of center to center problems and lobing

You know, we actually spoke about all of this and lobing isn't an issue. The crossovers will be properly designed, and if for some reason once they are done and being tested it does not work as planned, we will redesign. I am really not worried about these issues. I know plenty of people are, but I turly believe if the design is right and the crossovers are done correctly, it won't be an issue.

Seeing that photshop of the duals, just got me excited!!
post #16 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

This Is what mine was going to look like.

Attachment 241417
LL
post #17 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

This Is what mine was going to look like.

Attachment 241417

Thats the one....I can not wait for these things!!
post #18 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM

Liked: 10
I love this idea of massive fronts in my own ht. can I run these on my receiver alone(Yamaha rxv3900) or do I need extra amp? How do these things sound?
post #19 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 03:39 PM

I have dedicated theater room and listen to 100 percent tv and movies. Really want impact with next speakers I buy. If I listened to much music I would go more expensive and refined but these look like they may really be what I'm looking for for just ht. thoughts?
post #20 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtoo View Post

I love this idea of massive fronts in my own ht. can I run these on my receiver alone(Yamaha rxv3900) or do I need extra amp? How do these things sound?

They sound great. You can run them off a avr but will open up more with a amp.

Quote:

I have dedicated theater room and listen to 100 percent tv and movies. Really want impact with next speakers I buy. If I listened to much music I would go more expensive and refined but these look like they may really be what I'm looking for for just ht. thoughts?

If you are interested, take a look at my room in my sig.
post #21 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 05:07 PM

Looks awesome. How much more impact and mid bass do u feel from these versus a routine floorstanding speaker during movies and tv?
post #22 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks awesome. How much more impact and mid bass do u feel from these versus a routine floorstanding speaker during movies and tv?

Don't want to take away from the thread, we can talk in my thread.
post #23 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No prob guys...open discussion here.

Nezff is right, you can easily run these off an avr with decent power, though as he said quality seperates will open them up some. I am starting with the Denon 4311, and as soon as my wallet recovers I will get could external amplification.
post #24 of 123 Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The whole reason I chose these is that the music end doesn't suffer at all. These are supposed to be smooth as silk for music as well. Now you can't take my word, as I have heard my own yet, but the others have performed well.(Carp actually ditched his maggies for these.
post #25 of 123 Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

and I ditched my Klipsch for them.

I have listened to mostly all music for the last couple weeks since receiving them.
post #26 of 123 Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mension Carp...reading your reviews of how the ED cinemas compared to the Maggies for music and how much you liked them also played a big role in my decision. I was hesitant to move to horn loaded speakers, but his gave me the final push!

Quote:

The whole reason I chose these is that the music end doesn't suffer at all. These are supposed to be smooth as silk for music as well. Now you can't take my word, as I have heard my own yet, but the others have performed well.(Carp actually ditched his maggies for these.

Sh*t!! I'm feeling the pressure now, I sure hope you like them!!

I just saw your thread for the first time just now as I've been sitting here listening to music for 2 hours straight. No fatigue at all, these speakers sound so good. My only issue with them is a lack of sleep!!

Now that I have the cinema 12 center I listen almost 100% of the time to pro-logic II music. I haven't missed my Maggies for a single second. The combo of the eD's along with my new dual Submersives are the best audio decisions I've ever made.

All this said, I've always thought that speaker preference is so individual, so I am a bit nervous!!

You are going to have a killer setup, I do recommend thinking about Submersives for your subs if you can afford it (since you might want 4 in that space!!). They are worth every penny.
post #27 of 123 Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I just saw your thread for the first time just now as I've been sitting here listening to music for 2 hours straight. No fatigue at all, these speakers sound so good. My only issue with them is a lack of sleep!!

Now that I have the cinema 12 center I listen almost 100% of the time to pro-logic II music. I haven't missed my Maggies for a single second. The combo of the eD's along with my new dual Submersives are the best audio decisions I've ever made.

All this said, I've always thought that speaker preference is so individual, so I am a bit nervous!!

You are going to have a killer setup, I do recommend thinking about Submersives for your subs if you can afford it (since you might want 4 in that space!!). They are worth every penny.

Stock settings for pl2 music? Like dimension and width?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #28 of 123 Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Hahahaha...no need to be nervous. Everyone that I have spoken to who has experience with these, and knows my goals thinks they are the ones for me. I auditioned every "high end" speaker I could...Triad, PSB, Revel, B&W, Def Tech, Klipsch THX, Paradigm studios,etc. The PSB synchrony had the right sound, but not the impact...The Triad had a nice smooth sound, but not the impact. The Klipsch THX had the impact, but no finese or warmth. The Paradigms certainly had some impact, but my notes tell me they were a bit "thin" sounding for my taste. I have taken the notes I took when auditioning each and compared to the reviews of others on the ED(c) lineup. From what I can tell, these will be the happy medium for me...crazy output capability, without sacrificing listenability, warmth or low volume performance. Once mine are finished and set up properly, anyone near or willing to travel to the CT area is more than welcome to get a listen if you are interested in these speakers.
post #29 of 123 Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is the review that I wrote over at the eD forum if anyone is interested. Granted I am just a HT/music entusiast like most of us, so this review is nothing professional.

eD[c]12 Review
post #30 of 123 Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I usually listen to movies when I try something out, but I listened to music strictly with just the towers, and then just towers and subs.

I instantly loved the cinemas mainly because they were not "bright" like my Klipsch were. I am very very pleased in making my decision. I unhooked the klipsch and never hooked them back up. I sold just about everthing in about a week.

My initial plan was to get double 12 mains, double 10 center, and single 12 surrounds. After hearing the ones that were made to be surrounds, I was in love. They can get very loud. No need in the extra 12 considering I have the subs I have for the lower end. I ended up going with my original design(height etc..) on the rest of the speakers that Alex and I came up with. I ended up going with the cinema 12 shrunk down in height to fit in my stand. Should be receiving this stuff next week.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page