Which Speaker Drivers for Logitech Z-5500D Satellite speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently I noticed many tearing happen to one of my 5+years old Logitech z5500D Satelllite surrounds & this has distorted the audio. Also Bad that i have found that this model is being discontinued by Logitech & also since i'm out of warranty,...i'm finding it hard get any sort of official or even much unofficial support(spares,etc) for my aging but beloved Z-5500D! Hence i'm quite desperately searching for a solution to this issue.

Can any of the Logitech Z5500D owners or the Audio Gurus here,plz tell me...Which Speaker Drivers did Logitech Actually use in its Z-5500D Satellite speakers?( as I mean to replace the speaker driver here)?

I was of the impression that Tangband(AFAIK,they r theOEM) 3"Paper cone(Silver coloured) Full range W3-593SF driver http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w3-593sf.htm,...or the Tangband 3"Paper cone(Silver coloured) Full range W3-871SC driver http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w3-871sc.htm was the one (as claimed by many Av & tech forums),...but upon enquiry(through official email responses) ,Tangband rejected both of them as the O.E.M drivers,...but refereed me to custom built 3" W3-665SC (silver coloured cones,originally Black Coloured cones,as seen here >http://oaudio.de/Loudspeaker-chassis...fgiq7cl2d0o383) being the Original drivers that Logitech Z-5500D satellite speakers came fitted with in from the factory!

Also,another important point is regarding T/S parameters of the speakers,...while Tangband rates them each of the satellite speakers at maximum of 25 or 30watts,...but Logitech rates them each at much higher 62 watts,so i'm confused all the more!

Though,i currently have NO reply or confirmation from Logitech regarding this,... can the xperts speak what is the truth here...& which speaker driver(from Tangband) for the satellite of the Z-5500D should i order for & get ...which model is the real OEM for z5500d satellites?

I would be most welcome to all your replies & good advices,..thanking each of them!

Hope i can get some of your empathic support here!

Expecting quick responses,cheers!

*i'm in no mood to sell of my otherwise perfectly performing Z5500d !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

bump ...for the Audio Experts,who knows & can really help here!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Based upon the lack of replies it appears as though no one is certain, so perhaps you're the first to try swapping the drivers.

Looking at pictures of the satellites without grills it seems the W3-871SC is the closest match, so perhaps that's the one Logitech used. If the W3-665SC had a silver cone I suppose it could have been that one as well. However, if the guy from TB is right -- and it was a "custom built" driver -- they may have changed more than just the color of the cone, so even if you did buy those they still might sound different.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Based upon the lack of replies it appears as though no one is certain, so perhaps you're the first to try swapping the drivers.

Looking at pictures of the satellites without grills it seems the W3-871SC is the closest match, so perhaps that's the one Logitech used. If the W3-665SC had a silver cone I suppose it could have been that one as well. However, if the guy from TB is right -- and it was a "custom built" driver -- they may have changed more than just the color of the cone, so even if you did buy those they still might sound different.

^^ Thanks for the reply friend !

But as u seem confused,so i'm !

This is my worn out(after 6years of use) "ORIGINAL" logitech Z-5500D Satellite speaker driver without the casing,disassembled!

Now,just from the look of it, these unnamed (Tangband ?) speaker drivers appears more similar to the TB W3-593SF >>http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w3-593sf.htm than the TB W3-871SC >>http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w3-871sc.htm or the TB self claimed TB W3-665SC driver >> http://oaudio.de/Loudspeaker-chassis...fgiq7cl2d0o383

So, going by the looks only(leave apart the T/S parameters),..i'm pretty confused which is the Real Original Satellite speaker drivers for the Z-5500D...,which i can use as replacement drivers!

You all might wonder,..why I'm so much stressing on the Particulars of the Speaker drivers,...coz i'have already refoamed the satellite speaker with locally available foam surround,..but could NOT get back the Original Audio quality from that particular satellite speaker,...& hence i'm quite disappointed with the repair job,..the satellite do sound nice & o.k,but still miss out the subtle finesse & pristine quality of the Original sound!

Thus,i'm in search of replacement for my Logitech Z-5500D speaker driver!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
I don't think it's the W3-871SC either, because the mounting flange is different. Why don't you pick up a few W3-593SF and see if they work? It would have to be an improvement over the ones you have now, because with torn surrounds they are essentially useless.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 03-27-2012, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Logitech rates their speakers at 10% THD so you are going to get some more "wattage" based on their looser performance objective versus what Tangband would personally rate an OEM part.