Cat (or other pet proof) speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey now fellars...

So I got this cat, his name is Errol. I love home to death, he his adorable, but he can be a terror. Sometimes I call him Errol the terrible or sterile Errol (his balls aren't cut off yet but they will be) or just "sterrol" (sterile).

Thank God the speakers are crappy sony ones because He likes to sharpen his claws on the subwoofer grille and has ripped several holes through the grilles of the floor standing speakers. He continuously knocks over the rear speaker stands. He literally climbs the walls when he wants attention (literally climb the walls) so mounting them high isn't gonna work.

I love the cat to death. He's just a hyper cat. Last thing I wanna do is come home to clawed up nice speakers. So I thought about getting indoor/outdoor speakers but I'm a little weary as to how good they would sound.

What did you guys do?

You're not cultured. You're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 01:28 AM

Liked: 12
lol there was a funny article about that a while back to stop cats from scratching up speakers. Maybe if the steps in this article help with your current speakers that will allow you to buy some nice ones in the near future and not worrying about coming up to scratched up speakers. Also what type of budget are you looking at?

http://www.ehow.com/how_12152330_kee...-speakers.html

Also if this doesn’t help maybe think about getting monitors with stands so the cat can’t get to the speaker its self. Maybe another idea for you to play around with.

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #3 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 03:12 AM

Perhaps something like the Klipsch La Scala? Nothing that a cat could really damage.

post #4 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Get him or make him a scratching post? Wood with rope wrapped around it.

Or get him/make him a cat tree, he can scratch and climb it all he wants

http://www.amazon.com/Armarkat-Pet-P...dp/B003BYQ18M/

post #5 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawskinnyd View Post

What did you guys do?

Get bookshelf speakers and mount them up high, like on a bookshelf or wall mount them.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 510
PSB Alpha, has a metal grill
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...0%20%20%20PBLK

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Pioneers at newegg and best buy have metal grills as well. Designed by Andrew jones, reviewed well, and cheap if they get torn up.

post #8 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm gonna look into pub and the pioneers were already on my list).

My fiancé says he already has a scratching post: the tv, the speakers, the chair, the bed post, the chair in her room and the scratching post she bout for him last year

This is Errol. He looks cute but is a terror. The guy laying on me in the last pic is Francis aka frank the tank aka Francis pants aka Lord Francis nichalo elvis Poe the first aka frank the stank (his farts stink) aka big boy.
LL
LL
LL
LL

You're not cultured. You're stupid.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^^

awwwww... he's awful cute...

i too have a "cat from hell"... fortunately, the one thing he doesn't do is claw the speakers/subs... although when he was a kitten, he managed to get into the port on one of my speakers... he DOES like to hang off of the absorption panels though, and has been known to climb the curtains...

one thing that "may" work is feliway...

click me

that got mine from stopping, ummm, soiling in certain favored locations... it has also been known to stop clawing problems... it comes in both a spray and a diffusor...

i also use one of these pheromone collars on him...

click me

this makes him slightly mellower than completely crazed.. slightly...

good luck... i know how you feel... i love my little monster to death, but he IS a monster...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #10 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 552
You can always declaw him? I know it is inhumane, but furniture and speakers are expensive.
post #11 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

nope... i'd never do that... if you can't live with the results, don't have a cat...

even if they are "indoor cats" (like mine), there is always a chance of them somehow getting outside, and you are taking away part of their defense mechanism...

plus, as you note, it's inhumane...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #12 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I have cats and had them do that. I try not to let them in my room to much and pet them in other parts of the house. I have read about cat repellent, but I wonder if that harms them when the motion detector goes off and sprays them. if you get something like the motion detector thing what about putting water in it. This way it isn't harming them, but may scare them away. I read on another forum that petsmart sells some kind of cat tape that when they scratch it, they don't like the feel of it.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I am against declawing cats also. it is mean. it;'s not just cats that damage things. kids damage things that are expensive. You can't worry about it. People buy nice cars. Sometimes they have bad wrecks. If the car doesn;'t look to bad people might still drive it. My point is that appearance isn't everything. The week a family member got her new car someone keyed it pretty bad. It looks bad, but it was expensive to fix. she left it alone and lived with it.
post #14 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Get a "BIG" Dog! LOL

Seriously, I had a similar situation and was able to construct speaker guards out of plexiglass. It's a pretty simple process. All you need is a heat gun, a straight-edge and 2 clamps and a couple pices of plexiglas cut to size, taking into account you will in essence be heating the plexi and folding it in 90 degree angles that will wrap around the sides of your speakers leaving some space (not tight). I found that anywhere between 4 to 6 inches of "wrap" were sufficient to keep the speaker guards standing erect. I don't do drawings but an edge on view will look something like this; ] with the long part butting up against your speaker grill. You can usually go to Lowes or Tap plastics and get scrap plexiglas for next to nothing. Have a few small "test" pieces to get the hang of bending plexi.

You will need a workbench or table that's capable of getting fairly hot from the heatgun. Place the cut to size piece on the table/bench leaving that 4 to 6 inch "wrap" hanging over the edge. With the heatgun running, make long sweeps up and down the plexi at the area around table's edge. Be patient as you don't want to get it too hot too quick. Once the plexi shows signs that it's hot enough to bend, continue working the heat gun while applying light pressure bending the plexi. When you've completed one side, position the plexi so the other side that will be the "wrap" is on the table with the bulk hanging over the edge. you'll need a straightedge of some kind and a couple of clamps. Repeat with heating and bending until you've made yourself a speaker guard.

Anyway, once you've made your guards, you simply leave them in place until you decide to use your system which of course means you'll be around to beat the crap out of the cat if he misbehaves. When finished, it's a simple measure of placing the guards back in front of the speakers. Being that plexiglas is clear, it doesn't look at all bad and you still see the speakers through the plexi though it sounds like you might wanna hide them after the damage sterile Errol has done.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #15 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

might i suggest mouse traps with cushioning or something. let sterile errol get derailed a few days and then leave phonies nearby and see if he stays away then. if not put, put the snappers back untile sterrol gets less feral.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

absolutely not!!! unless you want to break your cat's paws...

go stick your finger in a "cushioned" trap and see what happens...

- chris

post #17 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
What about a pump sprayer (like window cleaner comes in) you can buy them at pretty much any big box or dollar store. Fill with water and when the cat does something that you don't want spray him with the water and say loudly and firmly "DON'T" or "No". My cat had a habit of jumping up on the counter top and tables. This little trick stopped him in about three or four days of consistent enforcement. It is pretty easy and humane (he just gets a little wet), and cheap. I also have a door to theater to keep my pets out so they don't damage any of my equipment or speakers, but don't think that would work in your particular situation.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #18 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 PM

Liked: 11
My cats used to destroy my speaker grills, but I ended up getting them declawed because they kept using my girlfriend's thighs as a scratching post. Call it inhumane, but they were rescue cats and would be dead if I hadn't provided a loving home. Shortly after the procedure, both cats were back to their playful selves and no problems at all.

You can always look into building your own speaker grills out of a mesh metal material. That would be cat proof. Heavy tower speakers would be better than bookshelves on top of stands. You could always anchor your speakers to the wall with wire or velcro to plywood to prevent tipping. For surrounds go with heavy duty wall mounts and secure them well. Finally hide all your cables with raceway to keep your cat from chewing.

You can also try sprinkling cayenne pepper on your speaker cabs. That's how I taught my cats to stay off the dining room table. Squirt bottles didn't work since they both love water heh.
post #19 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

absolutely not!!! unless you want to break your cat's paws...

go stick your finger in a "cushioned" trap and see what happens...

mouse trap? cushioned? no big deal. you must be envisioning a rat trap or something that would kill a possum or raccoon. and i've stuck my fingers in a mouse trap. no cushion. alcohol mixed with friends will do that to you.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

My cat jumped and grabbed one of my surrounds. His claws went right in the woofer like Michael Jordan dunking a basketball. Hopefully I scared him afterwards and he wont try again.
post #21 of 25 Old 03-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
He is cute. I am also against declawing cats.

post #22 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Petco, or one of those pet stores sell a good spray that most animals will stay away from. It worked for my little Chiwawa, "Ricky" when he wouldn't stop chewing the corners of the throw pillows on the sofa.
Also, I purchased a metal folding type indoor or outdoor fence. It has eight connected two foot by two foot sections, joined in a way that lets you stretch it across the room up to sixteen feet. I block off my listening area when I'm not home. I place it in a zig-zag shape which keeps it from falling over. The area that I block off is about ten feet across. This keeps the animals off of furniture, and away from my gear. It is free standing, and the eight connected pieces fold down to two feet by two feet. I realize that a cat is capable of jumping over two feet, but it is worth a try.

Espo77
post #23 of 25 Old 03-25-2012, 12:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post

He is cute. I am also against declawing cats.

In the UK its illegal to de-claw a cat you could face fine or prison.

I think its wrong as your taking away from the cat his/her ability to climb outside just as taking a pair garden cutters to ones hand and taking the fingers off. De-clawing a cat is nasty.

I was against having my tomcat fixed and I wish I never had now he was born with a good pair of balls. I think they should make Cat-Condoms for tomcats just as do for humans.
post #24 of 25 Old 03-25-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

although we have enough laws as it is, i kinda like the anti-declawing law...

neutering/spaying, otoh, is the right thing to do... far too many animals are euthanized already... and in the county i live in, it is required that you neuter/spay your cat or dog, unless you can prove that you are a breeder... obviously, this isn't heavily enforced, but the shelters/vets do a good job of "encouraging" it by charging you for it when you adopt the animal... and the shelters (and several vets) will provide the service for essentially free if the owner cannot afford it...

don't get me started on the sub-humans who abandon their animals....

op, have you checked out the feliway stuff i linked to earlier?

- chris

post #25 of 25 Old 03-26-2012, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had a similar problem with my cats. I just bought some cheap scratching posts and put them in front of the speakers. They now choose to use the scratching posts instead of my speakers. Pretty easy fix for me.

My surrounds are ceiling mounted, so no cat problems there.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page