Banana Plugs not secure.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was trying to hook up my Center speaker Martin Logan 8 last night, and the "closed" banana plugs from monoprice dont fit snug in the banana plug slot.

Any suggestions on ones to replace ? I am pretty bummed, as I planned on having everything hooked up today, but I guess that isnt happening.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Was thinking about buying these instead....
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...0115&p_id=2943

Thanks fellas
chess is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Member
 
Retspin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got rid of those same Monoprice plugs. I replaced them with GLS black chrome plugs, these have a good snug fit and wire termination is much better and secure than the Monoprice plugs.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...ode=AHH_Banana
Retspin is offline  
post #3 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Same here (replaced Monoprice with GLS black chrome). GLS bananas are easier for me to work with and look better as well.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
holt7153 is offline  
post #4 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post

I just got rid of those same Monoprice plugs. I replaced them with GLS black chrome plugs, these have a good snug fit and wire termination is much better and secure than the Monoprice plugs.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...ode=AHH_Banana

The same vendor also offers high quality locking plugs if you want a very secure connection.
bfreedma is offline  
post #5 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Dave1027's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post

I was trying to hook up my Center speaker Martin Logan 8 last night, and the "closed" banana plugs from monoprice dont fit snug in the banana plug slot.

Any suggestions on ones to replace ? I am pretty bummed, as I planned on having everything hooked up today, but I guess that isnt happening.

You could try taking a small flat blade screwdriver to spread the post part out till it's fatter and fits snug.
Dave1027 is offline  
post #6 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the replies....
chess is offline  
post #7 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered some different ones... if they dont work I will buy the GLS ones...

Thanks again so much !!
chess is offline  
post #8 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
The best thing to use is the "GR" or General Radio dual banana plug made by Pomona Electronics. They are designed to hold up in the lab being removed and replaced hundreds of times. A standard for 50 years. Top quality.

Amazon has them in red and black for $2.80.

"Pomona Double Banana Plug" - Amazon




Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post

I just ordered some different ones... if they dont work I will buy the GLS ones...

Thanks again so much !!

commsysman is offline  
post #9 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I use GLS locking banana connectors where they add the most convenience, but the most foolproof method is directly connecting wire to terminals. This is the norm in my setup.

Nethawk is offline  
post #10 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The best thing to use is the "GR" or General Radio dual banana plug made by Pomona Electronics. They are designed to hold up in the lab being removed and replaced hundreds of times. A standard for 50 years. Top quality.

Amazon has them in red and black for $2.80.

"Pomona Double Banana Plug" - Amazon

It's generally best to avoid the dual banana plugs as they require the connectors to be set at the standard spacing and can be difficult to work with and fit in tight spaces. There are numerous speakers and amps/AVR's where they don't work.

If the OP does want to go this route, order one unit first and make sure it fits your application.
bfreedma is offline  
post #11 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 346
^^^
I would agree with the above, not all speaker terminals have the same spacing.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #12 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chikoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got 14 plugs for $10.97 from Ebay and they fit very well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OC:US:3160
chikoo is offline  
post #13 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

It's generally best to avoid the dual banana plugs as they require the connectors to be set at the standard spacing and can be difficult to work with and fit in tight spaces. There are numerous speakers and amps/AVR's where they don't work.

If the OP does want to go this route, order one unit first and make sure it fits your application.

Agreed I dont want dual banana plugs....
chess is offline  
post #14 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

I use GLS locking banana connectors where they add the most convenience, but the most foolproof method is directly connecting wire to terminals. This is the norm in my setup.

+1. Plugs only add unnecessary cost and complexity.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #15 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Same here (replaced Monoprice with GLS black chrome). GLS bananas are easier for me to work with and look better as well.

ever since you turned me onto the gls plugs, they are my "go to" ones... i use the "safe connect" ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

+1. Plugs only add unnecessary cost and complexity.

to be fair, it can sometimes be a royal pita to wire directly to an avr, especially if you have limited room to work in... for what they cost, they are "worth it" to me... they also eliminate the "stray wire boo boo" that many make...

as far as complexity goes... it's not exactly rocket science to terminate wire with bananas...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #16 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

as far as complexity goes... it's not exactly rocket science to terminate wire with bananas...

You would not have to search far to find a thread where the poster stated his complete inability to do so.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #17 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

LOL! yes, i suppose you have a point there...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #18 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

ever since you turned me onto the gls plugs, they are my "go to" ones... i use the "safe connect" ones...

They're probably not the most robust plugs in the world, but they're easy to work with, inexpensive, and decent looking.

When are we gonna get our first glimpse of your custom cables? .

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
holt7153 is offline  
post #19 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

to be fair, it can sometimes be a royal pita to wire directly to an avr, especially if you have limited room to work in... for what they cost, they are "worth it" to me... they also eliminate the "stray wire boo boo" that many make...

as far as complexity goes... it's not exactly rocket science to terminate wire with bananas...

I agree on the receiver/amp side that banana plugs are convenient, but will also agree as simple as they are to apply they are still the only point of failure, and if they can be avoided it's best.

Nethawk is offline  
post #20 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

They're probably not the most robust plugs in the world, but they're easy to work with, inexpensive, and decent looking.

When are we gonna get our first glimpse of your custom cables? .

soon, hopefully... i've got the pants, nanners/spades and speakons... waiting on techflex and heat shrink, should be here by end of week...

conduit is run (although needs to be painted), center speaker stand and box for next to the rack are done, just need to solder the male speakons with some short connector wires and install them into rack box... with any kind of luck, should be new pics in the build thread next week...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #21 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
nice, should be interesting with the speakons.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
holt7153 is offline  
post #22 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

soon, hopefully... i've got the pants, nanners/spades and speakons... waiting on techflex and heat shrink, should be here by end of week...

conduit is run (although needs to be painted), center speaker stand and box for next to the rack are done, just need to solder the male speakons with some short connector wires and install them into rack box... with any kind of luck, should be new pics in the build thread next week...

Sorry, but what are speakons?

I hope you didn't get rattlesnake techflex. It was the only thing available to remotely match my stellar interior design (which is not based upon anything reptilian) and it's butt ugly! Cables are made, so I'm going to live with them for awhile but I expect to tire of them quickly.

Edit, nevermind, I used the google for speakon info. Very cool!!!

Nethawk is offline  
post #23 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Member
 
hermeslyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

You could try taking a small flat blade screwdriver to spread the post part out till it's fatter and fits snug.

Easier still, unscrew the banana end from the jacketed end, put it length wise between a pair of pliers or channel locks and gently squeeze. The banana's flair out beautifully.

I even do this to my new banana plugs from monoprice, I like 'em snug. I can't justify spending extra money on something new when this problem can be remedied so easily.
hermeslyre is offline  
post #24 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

I use GLS locking banana connectors where they add the most convenience, but the most foolproof method is directly connecting wire to terminals. This is the norm in my setup.

But the standard way for bare wire is to 'tin' the wire so you don't get loose, bent wire strands. And stops corrosion.
4DHD is offline  
post #25 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I'll take banana plugs all day before using only bare wire again. It is much more convenient with banana plugs. It makes it much easier to just plug in than unscrewing the terminals and inserting bare wire.

And I like to switch my speakers around trying out different combinations so banana plugs on the speaker end is a no brainer for me.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #26 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jproy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East of West, Canada
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

I got 14 plugs for $10.97 from Ebay and they fit very well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OC:US:3160

I use the same ones with no probs
jproy13 is offline  
post #27 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CalgaryCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have always used the "safe" type (another brand) and never seen the screw type. Is there a non convenience advantage to one or the other?

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
CalgaryCowboy is offline  
post #28 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

But the standard way for bare wire is to 'tin' the wire so you don't get loose, bent wire strands. And stops corrosion.

true...

but realistically, how many have a soldering iron thee days?

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #29 of 56 Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

But the standard way for bare wire is to 'tin' the wire so you don't get loose, bent wire strands. And stops corrosion.

Don't tin. The screw won't grip it as tightly as bare wire, so it's more likely to loosen. And tinning doesn't stop corrosion. In fact soldering flux promotes oxidation.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #30 of 56 Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Don't tin. The screw won't grip it as tightly as bare wire, so it's more likely to loosen. And tinning doesn't stop corrosion. In fact soldering flux promotes oxidation.

I've never seen either happen. But I only use silver solder.

Quote:


I use the same ones with no probs

I've bought a couple of those types, I don't like them as much as the ones sold in RS. That you bend the wire over the collar edge and then screw on the tip.

I also bought the welded locking banana plugs from BJC. I like the fact the wire is welded, but I'm not too thrilled with how they tighten to the amp or speaker. In fact one banana plug, the thongs broke off after a few times being tightened, making it totally useless.
4DHD is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off