Best Quality Towers for $3000 pair - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 193 Old 03-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You have a good set of speakers. To me it sounds like the problem is no subwoofer. In a square room you are also going to have some problems caused by your room.

My suggestion is get get 2 subwoofers, keep the speakers. The subs will take some load off your amp also and should help out there also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 193 Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
How big of a space do you have for the center channel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 193 Old 03-30-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Unfortunately for the Golden Ear Tritons, the CC and surrounds do seem underwhelming both visually and performance-wise compared to the usual big speaker designs for HT. Don't mean to be second guessing designers as briliant as the GE team but not surprised to hear someone actually wanting more. I imagine this is mostly true with large spaces.

Sounds like the OP wants more dynamics so Klipsch may well be in order.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
post #94 of 193 Old 03-30-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post

Actually I am looking at the Klipsch RF-7ii's and the RC-64ii Center plus RS-42ii surrounds and a SW-112 for a new setup.

I would consider a different subwoofer for the money.
http://www.data-bass.com/main.php?page=systems

SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, Epik would all have much superior products for the money.
post #95 of 193 Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, Epik would all have much superior products for the money.

I had a Hsu sub once, got it directly from Dr Hsu himself in person. Broke the woofer in a few months and I didn't even play loud. Never found out what the big deal is with Hsu but I wasn't much of a sub guy.
post #96 of 193 Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
dont know why they dont get more publicity but system audio IMHO are fantastic.Those that know about them can to to how great thier line is.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...speaker-system
post #97 of 193 Old 03-30-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

dont know why they dont get more publicity but system audio IMHO are fantastic.Those that know about them can to to how great thier line is.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...speaker-system

I don't think low sensitivity 5.25" woofer based speakers are going to give the OP what he wants.

post #98 of 193 Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 PM

Hi, I saw your post on tower speakers. I am local LA and if you are wanting to off load the golden ears. let me know, I would be interested as they would work well in my small theater room.
post #99 of 193 Old 04-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Liked: 15
I think quality is a relative term.........it can be measured in many ways, in terms of quality based on SQ first and foremost? Or actual BUILD quality(furniture grade or just laminated mdf boxes?), aethetics? Or obviously a combo of all 3? Also, are you stuck on towers, or have you thought about doing a higher quality set of monitors in combination with a sub or subs? This type of combo has a multitude of advantages, big one being "sound quality" and optimal placement potential.

You definetly don't need to spend $3k for a top notch speaker though regardless.
post #100 of 193 Old 04-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 View Post

I think quality is a relative term.........it can be measured in many ways, in terms of quality based on SQ first and foremost? Or actual BUILD quality(furniture grade or just laminated mdf boxes?), aethetics? Or obviously a combo of all 3? Also, are you stuck on towers, or have you thought about doing a higher quality set of monitors in combination with a sub or subs? This type of combo has a multitude of advantages, big one being "sound quality" and optimal placement potential.

You definetly don't need to spend $3k for a top notch speaker though regardless.

Yes, but youll get a really nice looking cabinet in the 3K range. What are your picks in terms of sub+monitor combo?
post #101 of 193 Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

Yes, but youll get a really nice looking cabinet in the 3K range. What are your picks in terms of sub+monitor combo?

You sure can can get a nice cabinet, and can for half the price........Im obviously partial to Kef's older XQ monitors and Rythmik downfiring subs. I also a big fan of Revel's old M20 monitors and their B15 sub. BOth killer combo's for the money.
post #102 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You sure can can get a nice cabinet, and can for half the price........Im obviously partial to Kef's older XQ monitors and Rythmik downfiring subs. I also a big fan of Revel's old M20 monitors and their B15 sub. BOth killer combo's for the money.

In your opinion, what would be the absolute best performing towers, stock unmodded? This is regardless of price.
post #103 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

In your opinion, what would be the absolute best performing towers, stock unmodded? This is regardless of price.

You missed our posts earlier didn't you? Check your pm.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #104 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:

That Ive heard? Maxxhorn Lumination........rediculously overpriced, but a fantastic tower........if you could even call that, as its technically just a LARGE single driver monitor in reality.
post #105 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Based on your claim that the $15k per pair Revel Salons only have about $250 in material, that would place the Maxxhorn Lumination in the $450 or so total COGS category. It's no wonder you think they are rediculously overpriced.

post #106 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That Ive heard? Maxxhorn Lumination........rediculously overpriced, but a fantastic tower........if you could even call that, as its technically just a LARGE single driver monitor in reality.

Regardless of price meaning the cheaper the better. Sounds similar to the maxi horn but only $2000?
post #107 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

How big of a space do you have for the center channel?

Room is 19x19 with 8' ceilings, and yes the GE are a great pair of speakers but just finding that they don't have the sound I want when it comes to my movie watching.
For Music its awesome and great detail on movies as well just the not the overall volume of sound, without having to turn up the volume.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm Studio 100's v5 + CC-690
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
post #108 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Based on your claim that the $15k per pair Revel Salons only have about $250 in material, that would place the Maxxhorn Lumination in the $450 or so total COGS category. It's no wonder you think they are rediculously overpriced.

Im materials, the Maxxhorns use even less components, no xover parts, a single pair of drivers(with "MSRP of $6500 for the drivers, lol, and these are the CHEAPER ones.....) etc.......the main cabinet is MDF........do you think the Maxxhorns cost even as much as the Salons in total component and material cost in reality? Its probably half of the Salon's.........$30k though is the retail price roughly........yeah right..............awesome sound, gorgeous looking, but not worth even a 1/10th of the asking price. But the design is sound without any BS, and the SQ is superb.
post #109 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Dunno, you're the self-proclaimed expert on COGS in the audio industry.

Feel free to report this post as well, clearly it's an insult.

post #110 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Room is 19x19 with 8' ceilings, and yes the GE are a great pair of speakers but just finding that they don't have the sound I want when it comes to my movie watching.
For Music its awesome and great detail on movies as well just the not the overall volume of sound, without having to turn up the volume.

I meant how big can the center channel physically be dimension wise. Your current center is pretty small.

post #111 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 PM

Rustolemite,

Please do your self a favor and get a quality subwoofer before you replace your speakers. I still believe relying on your speakers to supply the bass for HT is where your dissappointment is coming from. A subwoofer is a BIG part of the sound you want in HT. I dont believe you will find any 5 channel set of speakers that can stand alone and hit you in the chest for under 3K(for HT).
post #112 of 193 Old 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticSoul View Post

Rustolemite,

Please do your self a favor and get a quality subwoofer before you replace your speakers. I still believe relying on your speakers to supply the bass for HT is where your dissappointment is coming from. A subwoofer is a BIG part of the sound you want in HT. I dont believe you will find any 5 channel set of speakers that can stand alone and hit you in the chest for under 3K(for HT).

I don't think you could have effective HT sound without a subwoofer for even $30k. I've been browsing topics in the ultra high-end room, and even those folks who can afford expensive setups don't go without a sub (or many).

post #113 of 193 Old 04-05-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticSoul View Post

Rustolemite,

Here's the thing I have been on the GE forum's and when you mention integrating a Subwoofer into the Triton Cinema Two setup they kinda freak out that even Sandy Gross commented on the thread dedicated to their speakers that it "wasn't" needed with that setup.
But I have already sold the set and looking for another option.

Thanks

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm Studio 100's v5 + CC-690
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
post #114 of 193 Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

even Sandy Gross commented on the thread dedicated to their speakers that it "wasn't" needed with that setup.
But I have already sold the set and looking for another option.Thanks

Adding a sub destroys the purity of the setup IMO. The speakers themselves should've been designed to be able to handle the lowest the owner wants to go.
post #115 of 193 Old 04-05-2012, 06:13 AM

Liked: 12
jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/quintuple/

If I were you and limited to the $3000 upgrade, I would get $1500-2000 main speakers and $1000-$1500 subwoofer(s).

Cheers, Joe
post #116 of 193 Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Adding a sub destroys the purity of the setup IMO. The speakers themselves should've been designed to be able to handle the lowest the owner wants to go.

I disagree. Adding a quality subwoofer (or two or three or four) will benefit every aspect of the system provided proper implementation is achieved. You'll gain a smoother FR over a wide range of seats, the bass will be more enveloping, your system headroom will increase and less strain will be put on the speakers due to the use of a crossover. The best spot in a person's room for good sound stage and imaging is usually never the best spot for in room bass response. Crossing to quality subwoofers lets you have your cake and eat it too because you can place the speakers and subwoofer independently of each other in the best sounding locations; but this only nets positive results if done properly, and that is the part that people usually fail at, then wrongly assume adding a subwoofer(s) to a 2-channel system makes things worse.

My ideal scenario would be speakers that reached down to 20Hz and had an active bass woofer in each speaker. This still wouldn't allow independent placement, but it would be an ideal 2-channel system because you could apply PEQ to the subwoofer only. Nice!

post #117 of 193 Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikal-JRNE View Post

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/quintuple/

If I were you and limited to the $3000 upgrade, I would get $1500-2000 main speakers and $1000-$1500 subwoofer(s).

Cheers, Joe

Ditto. I'd get Philharmonic 1's for the front three and a HSU VTF-15H for a subwoofer. I'd add a second sub later down the road.

post #118 of 193 Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I disagree. Adding a quality subwoofer (or two or three or four) will benefit every aspect of the system provided proper implementation is achieved.

The only way to get everything smoothed with the addition of a sub is to run Audyssey or some kind of expensive digital in out equalizer to ensure the original signal is preserved. He would have to use a TACT amp that has built in room correction. Unless he doesn't care using a receiver...
post #119 of 193 Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The only way to get everything smoothed with the addition of a sub is to run Audyssey or some kind of expensive digital in out equalizer to ensure the original signal is preserved. He would have to use a TACT amp that has built in room correction. Unless he doesn't care using a receiver...

One sub is tough, yes, but that doesn't apply to more than one. Using multiple subs in the proper room location will naturally smooth peaks and nulls. That's why everyone recommends such method, including Dr. Geddes.

post #120 of 193 Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Here's the thing I have been on the GE forum's and when you mention integrating a Subwoofer into the Triton Cinema Two setup they kinda freak out that even Sandy Gross commented on the thread dedicated to their speakers that it "wasn't" needed with that setup.
But I have already sold the set and looking for another option.

Thanks

Still. An HT setup without a sub is not going to be satisfactory, if only for the LFE channel. Your previous speakers had integrated subs that were inadequate but still used the LFE signal correctly. Going from those to more capable HT speakers but without a sub for LFE is not going to be a full solution, not if you watch action movies anyway. The LFE mixed to the main channel speakers will be dynamically compressed before it hits your speakers, even if they could handle it.

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT

Peter

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page