post #181 of 193 Old 04-07-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 View Post

the best sounding speakers happen to use full range drivers with no xovers.

When donkeys fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 193 Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

When donkeys fly.

Assuming digital crossover is done on the amp side, wouldn't that be the ultimate speaker since it has no crossover?
post #183 of 193 Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 View Post

Disprove it. Only takes a few searches, emails or phone calls.

OK. Not that I look forward to your reply, but I did just that, and received a very nice email from Aleksandar Radisavljevic himself. He was actually understanding, indicating that the dots were connected in the wrong way, referring to the demo speakers from Zu Audio with RAAL 70-10D tweeter.

He gave permission to quote him on this:

We were making and selling the same ribbon tweeter models before TB started with manufacturing and selling ribbon tweeters.
Many years before that, the lineage of RAAL ribbon technical solutions can be traced back, through thorough examining of my ribbons since 1995.
BTW, there is several completely new technological solutions in RAAL ribbons, improving overall characteristics, that no manufacturer used before: thin face plate (made of non-magnetic stainless steel) with diffraction scattering edges on the ribbon opening, symmetrical signal tracing relative to the ribbon, exclusion of looping the magnet iron with signal tracing, transformer shielding, acoustical lensing by means of foam pads, large gap in transformer core, heat shrinking ribbon tightening, flat foil with embossed standing-wave scattering pattern, specially shaped magnets that provide homogenous field in the gap and addition of a third magnet that compresses the stray flux back into the gap (The Lazy Ribbon). There's also one more, a crucial technological upgrade that is used in 70-20XR, that I consider a trade secret.
All steel, iron, FR4 and phenolic plate cutting is cut on laser and water-jet machines by our vendors, here in Serbia. All transformer winding copper foils are cut and insulated in house, as well as winding transformers. We're stamping damping felt in house. Also, iron drilling, screw tapping, painting and powder coating are done in house. All materials except magnets, button head screws, black-wrinkle powder coating, ferrite and amorphous transformer cores, are purchased locally. Magnets are made for us, according to our unique design, by Neomax, a Sumitomo Special metals spin-off.
It takes six highly skilled workers to assemble a maximum of 100 tweeters a month, that's how much time it takes to finely tune every last detail and discard about 30 percent of all incoming parts that were cut by lasers and water-jets.
We are a stable company. We don't have investors that will panic and we can't be destabilized by economy crisis' and we will continue to support our customers for decades.
Originality and elegance of RAAL engineering and design can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvylZF9eJOA

Aleksandar Radisavljevic
RAAL advanced loudspeakers d.o.o.
Djordja Simeonovica 4
19000 Zajecar
Serbia
Tel: +381 64 144 1111
Fax: +381 19 440 336
www.raal-requisite.com
www.raalribbon.com

There ya have it.

Incidentally, he was much nicer than the global sales manager for Harman Luxury Audio when I asked about your claim that Revel Salon's were comprised of $250 in materials. His sentiment of you is much like the rest of us.

post #184 of 193 Old 04-07-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Incidentally, he was much nicer than the global sales manager for Harman Luxury Audio when I asked about your claim that Revel Salon's were comprised of $250 in materials. His sentiment of you is much like the rest of us.

ntrain96 just received an official full troll status
post #185 of 193 Old 04-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Liked: 11
So.... What speakers are we recommending for the member?????
post #186 of 193 Old 04-07-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimemecka View Post

so.... What speakers are we recommending for the member?????

lol !!!

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm Studio 100's v5 + CC-690
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
post #187 of 193 Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

When donkeys fly.

That I would pay to see!

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
post #188 of 193 Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post

lol !!!

I think I better just go to Wal-mart the should have something in a box over there that will work !!

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
post #189 of 193 Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimeMecka View Post

Oh yeah, that.

Quote:

I think Philharmonic, Salk, & Ascend.

I own Revel Salon2, Linkwitz Orion3, KEF Reference 201/2, & Philharmonic 3.

I will say for $3K, the Philharmonic 3 gets my vote big time.

Phil3 are amazing. For $3K, unbelievable.

The Phil2 has the same RAAL tweeter & BG Neo8 midrange, but a little less bass. For $2K, crazy deal!

I'll add Totem Hawk to this list as well. Very impressive speakers IMO (although I actually enjoyed the Sttaf more).

post #190 of 193 Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:

I think I better just go to Wal-mart the should have something in a box over there that will work !!

At least they carry Azend speakers - does that ring a bell?
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...3ANoah+Company

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #191 of 193 Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:

But IMO the best sounding speakers happen to use full range drivers with no xovers.

While I am not 100% sure I agree, I am not discounting you either as sound is VERY subjective. And I can claim this being one of the very few that agree, and have actually owned/used this type speaker for literally years, a crossover-less BOOKSHELF speaker sounds better than most bookshelf speakers with a crossover built in.

With that being said, I prefer tower speakers w/xover to bookshelfs w/o. Bookshelf speakers are the limitation for full range driver types, IMO, as they sound like ass in a tower. But then again, I prefer 2way over 3way speakers in a tower. And xover-less for a bookshelf.

Full range has limitations of course, but at normal listening levels, nothing more is needed. Even my (now sold about 1.5 years ago) complete set of full range speakers sounded great, to a point, even at home theater levels, but can't compete against my towers.
post #192 of 193 Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimeMecka View Post

Going by drivers, specs, measurements, and max budget, is there anything better than the Phil 3? Actually is there anything better short of 10K? The thing uses the best drivers there are at any price and they're found in most expensive speakers as well. The offaxis freq response is among the best I've seen and it has ribbon for speed!

Having said that, make sure you have a beefy amp to drive that thing
post #193 of 193 Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Well when I first had them I thought I wasn't getting the quality of sound that I wanted from them, but now I think it was just not knowing enough at the time on how to tweak them including the sub to get the best result.
I still not that knowledgeable but trying to learn with the help of people on AVS, at least those that aren't spamming each other, to get a better sound out of whatever I choose next.
As for the Polks they are great speakers just not sure if they can put out the the bass that I want in 2 channel mode.
And have had them, in 2 different versions, for the last 6 years and wanted to try something new.
Like I mentioned before I am not able to go and audition the speakers so have to learn from others and hope I make the right choice.

Thanks

I'm not much of a full range loudspeaker guy, mostly because I've resigned myself to the fact that full range (i.e. good low frequency response), and high sensitivity don't coincide. The compromises usually come in three areas: sensitivity, range of frequency response, and distortion. It seems that most designers these days have a knack for building speakers that measure flat. But high sensitivity designs don't dig deep and designing for low FR often results in poor distortion performance as well. Two box designs are the answer until some innovator introduces a truly novel solution.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page