In Ceiling Speakers - B&W or Paradigm? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to get 8" round in ceiling speakers for a larger room. I am partial to B&W CCM speakers as I have heard them and they sound pretty darn good. Been looking at the CCM683.

A lot of the higher end dealers in my area have stopped carrying B&W due to the fact that they have started offering them at Best Buy Magnolia stores. I think this is because Best Buy can probably undercut them on pricing. The dealers claim that B&W's quality is most likely going down hill.

Many are recommending Paradigm speakers.

Any input as to which Paradigm line is equivalent to the B&W CCM line? The Signature series or the Reference Series?

I can not find a place to demo both of them at the same time. I have only heard the Paradigm's are not as bright as the B&W's.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
MIKE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Are they going to be used for HT or music or both.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Might also consider Klipsch in-ceiling speakers. They now have the LTS tweeter system and have a life time warranty. If we can help you with selection, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

are they going to be used for ht or music or both.

+1
post #5 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I installed a pair of Paradigm SA-15R 30s last month, I like them so far, much better than the cheapo Parasounds that came with my house. The R 30s can be rotated to aim at the listening position. The sigs seemed like overkill for surrounds.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
PSB also makes some rather good ones, such as the CW363 and CW383.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapostol View Post

Looking to get 8" round in ceiling speakers for a larger room. I am partial to B&W CCM speakers as I have heard them and they sound pretty darn good. Been looking at the CCM683.

A lot of the higher end dealers in my area have stopped carrying B&W due to the fact that they have started offering them at Best Buy Magnolia stores. I think this is because Best Buy can probably undercut them on pricing. The dealers claim that B&W's quality is most likely going down hill.

Many are recommending Paradigm speakers.

Any input as to which Paradigm line is equivalent to the B&W CCM line? The Signature series or the Reference Series?

I can not find a place to demo both of them at the same time. I have only heard the Paradigm's are not as bright as the B&W's.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
MIKE

post #7 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mostly music listening.....

No HT at all. I have another area for HT.

I just want GOOD quality sounding speakers that fill the room. The last thing I want to do turn up the system and start to hear some distortion or a speaker that just cant fill the room.

Thanks
MIKE
post #8 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapostol View Post

Mostly music listening.....

No HT at all. I have another area for HT.

I just want GOOD quality sounding speakers that fill the room. The last thing I want to do turn up the system and start to hear some distortion or a speaker that just cant fill the room.

Thanks
MIKE

All the recommendations so far are great. I don't know what your budget is, but also consider the BG Radia PD-8Ci speakers (Disclaimer; I am an authorized dealer). They retail for around $700 a pair. Though I am sure you can get them a better price than that from your local dealer (Custom Installer). You mentioned that you like the 'bright" sound of the B&W, while I don't consider the BG Radia bright necessarily, their motto is "The Power of Clarity". They use Planar ribbon technology, and the level of detail is quite amazing. For what it is worth BG Radia also offers a lifetime warranty and are actually made in the USA, go figure.
The only thing I don't like about their round in-ceiling speakers is the do not offer back boxes (they do for all other models). But I have used the Dynabox back box quite effectively...
Here is a link to the spec. sheet: PD-8Ci Note that they actually have a power rating of 150 watts not 100.

Depending on where you live hopefully there is a dealer near you so you can at least give them a listen.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page