Annoying high pitch / frequency coming from speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a very annoying issue and I'm looking for someone to help me. I can hear a very high frequency coming from my speakers from time to time. I tried very hard to troubleshoot it but I can't. Here's what I've found out:

1. I'm sure it comes from the speaker because the noise disappears the instant I switch the power of my speakers off.
2. The high frequency noise has constant pitch, but alternatives between on and off randomly, like someone is playing with a switch.
3. Using the same soundcard, I connected my earphones to it and there is no such probem. The audio is crystal clear with my earphones. So I'd bet it isn't the sound card.
4. I tried switching all other electronic appliances off in my room to eliminate inteference, then play music to the speaker using my phone - the problem still exists, though not as noticable.

So the question is, is this because my speaker is cheap (U.S. $100 equipvalent), or because of my 3.5 mm to RCA cable? I tried switching another cable (also 3.5 mm to RCA), the high frequency sound is still there randomly and it's super annoying. Will RCA to RCA cables solve this problem? My sound card only outputs 3.5mm, if it's cable problem then that means I have to upgrade my sound card as well.

Anyone has a similar issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
You may have an amplifier oscillation, and it may be even worse at ultrasonic frequencies (which of course you can't hear).

This is often caused by a poor ground contact on an interconnect cable connector (RCA), or an open ground in a cable. Make sure your cables are clean and oxidation-free and fit very tightly. You can squeeze the outer contacts with pliers slightly to tighten them up.

This will usually cause the amplifier to run too hot, since it is wasting a lot of power on this ultrasonic energy, so check to see if it is overheated. This can sometimes burn out an amplifier for no obvious reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicwand View Post

I have a very annoying issue and I'm looking for someone to help me. I can hear a very high frequency coming from my speakers from time to time. I tried very hard to troubleshoot it but I can't. Here's what I've found out:

1. I'm sure it comes from the speaker because the noise disappears the instant I switch the power of my speakers off.
2. The high frequency noise has constant pitch, but alternatives between on and off randomly, like someone is playing with a switch.
3. Using the same soundcard, I connected my earphones to it and there is no such probem. The audio is crystal clear with my earphones. So I'd bet it isn't the sound card.
4. I tried switching all other electronic appliances off in my room to eliminate inteference, then play music to the speaker using my phone - the problem still exists, though not as noticable.

So the question is, is this because my speaker is cheap (U.S. $100 equipvalent), or because of my 3.5 mm to RCA cable? I tried switching another cable (also 3.5 mm to RCA), the high frequency sound is still there randomly and it's super annoying. Will RCA to RCA cables solve this problem? My sound card only outputs 3.5mm, if it's cable problem then that means I have to upgrade my sound card as well.

Anyone has a similar issue?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I also notice that the metal fins of the amplifier has a temperature somewhere like 50C to 60C, even when I'm not playing anything. Is that the sign?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 PM

I am facing a similar problem. The high frequency sound started from the front left speaker of my Sony SRS D9 . It also seems to come from the front right but not as strongly. I disconnected the stereo audio jack connected to my laptop but it still comes. I switched of all equipments - and it is quite piercing and loud. It is quite clear that it comes from the speaker even without any input feed. Is it a manufacturing deffect? Or is it a problem with most speakers? Should i get these replaced?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicwand View Post

Yes I also notice that the metal fins of the amplifier has a temperature somewhere like 50C to 60C, even when I'm not playing anything. Is that the sign?
It's certainly an indication that you have a problem. Don't run the amp until you get it looked at.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Try disconnecting the coax cable and see what that does.
If nothing changes, try disconnecting/connecting other cables until you find the culprit. Then you have to find whether it is a cable issue or hardware issue that the cable is connected to.

You can also try a cheater plug on you equipment one at a time to see if it is a ground loop problem.

If the speaker wire is run in the walls or ceiling, then it could also be an issue where romex and the speaker wire is run to close together causing the speaker wire to pick up interference from the romex.

Check to see if your speakers are averaging 8 ohms, and check your amp while you're at it.

User Tag List