Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to set up some outdoor speakers on my deck like these:
http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/rockspeaker.html

These outdoor speakers will be for basic music/entertainment on my deck. I am not looking for an audiophile speaker setup.

Anyway, I am just looking for tips.

As background about my existing setup, I have a home theater in my basement. I am thinking about getting a Denon 2112ci or equivalent in the upcoming xx13 line for my home theater in the basement and airplay to the speakers on my deck (deck would be zone 2).

Are there special durable (weather-proof) speaker cables that I need? Or can I just get the basic 14-gauge speaker cable from monoprice?

Any other tips or things I should consider? This seems fairly straightforward, but I am sure I will find a way to overcomplicate it.

Any suggestions on the best bang for the buck outdoor speakers?

Edit: Also, would I better off with a wireless speaker solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
People in this forum have consistently recommended Boston Acoustics Voyager 7 speakers (or Voyager 6).

You probably want to use heavy-duty wire that is designed for inwall and outdoor use. My son did the wiring with a friend who works for an AV company. They used the heavy-duty wiring (almost as big around as my thumb) and carefully weather-sealed where the wiring came out of the house.

I use a separate two-channel receiver for the outdoor speakers but I realize that using the extra 2-channel auxiliary output on an AVR is more convenient for most people (provided the extra channel output provides amplification).

The difficulty with a wireless connection is that you need powered speakers or some way to get power to them.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page