AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaker Company Employees on Forums secretly???

8K views 129 replies 44 participants last post by  David Bott 
#1 ·
I'm on several forums and I have noticed a trend lately. I'm seeing people go onto forums and "pump" up certain products only to later find out that the person is actually an employee of said speaker company. I'm wondering if this is new? Has anyone else seen this?

It's been going on over at www.blu-ray.com (where I got banned for calling a guy out I might add). He was acting like he was an end user and then we discover he actually works for the speaker company in question...but was hiding it. He is still not coming clean completely, but now that he's been caught he's acknowledged his involvement with them at least.

Is this an isolated incident or an old practice of online retailers as a marketing strategy? It really pisses me off to say the least.

#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/0

Well, you have to admit you did use the childish term "piss further". If you want to sound professional, you have to not use language you would not use in front of a judge.

Then you go and insult them. Yeah, I would probably ban you too.

If I knew the judge well enough and I was bs-ing with him in his chambers, I'd have used the exact phrase...

When the same question is asked multiple ways by multiple people and the same beat around the bush answer is given, then all the mods can blow me.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/21869824

None of them say he is a customer. They are all quite neutral and none of them say he is just a consumer. I think you are simply reading too much into it.

I do believe employees should say they are such, but nothing in there says he is a customer. Heck, I have recommended speakers based on the reviews of others, pointing them to the review sites. I am not a customer of said speakers.

Maybe I am just not angry enough or something, but I see nothing overtly wrong there.

Well like I said...we only found out he was an "employee or whatever" recently...these posts go back years without him identifying himself. I call foul.

#104 ·
Marketing I guess

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/21870061

Well like I said...we only found out he was an "employee or whatever" recently...these posts go back years without him identifying himself. I call foul.

And you had every right to. Blu-ray forum's posting FAQ specifically says, "You are not allowed to post advertising or engage in any other type of promotion (linking to your own site etc)." That message shared above links right to Axiom.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/21869688

No, the secret is to use four VP150 centers.... Two in the front and two behind the seating position...

What the heck, mount a center channel to the left and right seating positions as will.. You will be in VP150 heaven..

I know this works because we tested it underwater using a series of triple blind tests........

uhh ohhhh! I use three centers (two as surrounds) but I'm blind in one eye and can'y hear out of the other.

#108 ·
damn you PE, I took one on the chin for you

You have been banned for the following reason:

Baiting mods

Date the ban will be lifted: 04-10-2012, 12:00 AM

whatever, I hate people who use their ounce of authority as soapbox, let alone internet authority.

#110 ·
Blu-ray.com needs to fund the site somehow but I thought it was strickly through the links from the movie reviews to amazon and Best Buy not by permitting their paid advertisers to control what is said in the forums. I have lost all faith in the nuetrality of the forums on that site. I would hope that avsforum keeps it nuetral.

#111 ·
boycott the forum!

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21870884

Blu-ray.com needs to fund the site somehow but I thought it was strickly through the links from the movie reviews to amazon and Best Buy not by permitting their paid advertisers to control what is said in the forums. I have lost all faith in the nuetrality of the forums on that site. I would hope that avsforum keeps it nuetral.

They make a fortune on ads. The trouble is when the buyers of the ads threaten to pull them if negative comments are allowed. If money matters more to them than integrity the results is censorship and banning.

#115 ·
Here's the latest post over there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich /forum/post/0

I come home from a hard day's work and I look at this thread and MAN!!! If you don't like Axiom speakers....don't listen to them!!! There are threads of companies that I don't care for and I don't participate in them. JCB doesn't have our blessing or anything - but the malicious tone of the post lately are worse than a Bose bashing thread!!!!

We've posted a remark in the Bose thread not to bash them there, now I say don't do it here in the Axiom thread (Bashing). If you want to talk about the weaknesses of Axiom products....start a civil thread and name it something to the tune of "Does Axiom have enginering deficencies" or "Axiom design controversy" - do that all you want, but don't ruin a thread for people who legitimately enjoy their Axiom speakers. Let peoples ears be the final judge.

Take this as a warning - any other talk that's not constructive in this forum will result in a ban.

Prerich

#116 ·
truthfully I've found that AVS is willing to let people say what they will. I think that's great. They haven't shut down many threads that I've seen...even when it has to do with companies that advertise here such as this one. They keep out of it for the most part which is how it should be. I respect them for it.

I have broken rules here in the past, and I paid the price for a long time. I wouldn't do it again as being a member here is priceless. just saying

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21871192

Here's the latest post over there:

I understand trying to keep the owners threads civil and a place for owners to discuss issues, configuration, provide assistance, etc, or to answer legitimate questions from a potential buyer. I think that is fair.

That said, this jcb guy is clearly on the Axiom payroll and is not just hanging out in the Axiom owners thread. He as actively pushing Axiom product in other threads and did not disclose his affiliation with Axiom.

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/21871735

Looks like jcb's account at Blu-Ray.com has been suspended.

Definitely seems like the mods there must have looked into his posting history and did the right thing.

That's good to hear, but why suspend somebody for shining light on it?

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/21871513

truthfully I've found that AVS is willing to let people say what they will. I think that's great. They haven't shut down many threads that I've seen...even when it has to do with companies that advertise here such as this one. They keep out of it for the most part which is how it should be. I respect them for it.

I have broken rules here in the past, and I paid the price for a long time. I wouldn't do it again as being a member here is priceless. just saying

That has not been my experience with AVS. Some years ago when researching a TV I had questions concerning the lack of response from some forum sponsors and my posts were quickly deleted by the mods.

It became very apparent to me, at least then, that sharing any negative experience about forum sponsors would not be tolerated on AVS.

I haven't done that since.

#121 ·
I was extremely flamed simply for asking the question. Only reason I asked was because I thought the Pioneer speakers were nowhere near as good as they were being talked up. I A/B'd them at Best Buy and I was like, "Are you kidding me? This is what all the excitement is about?). It seemed to me that the thread might have been getting professionally "worked". Even the title of the thread smacked of professional marketing.

Even though I was roasted fairly well (was the flame-fest instigated by pros?) I was not banned. I think that speaks well of the mods here. I asked the question in a respectful manner and did not accuse anybody directly. What we don't want is a witch hunt.

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/21871735

Looks like jcb's account at Blu-Ray.com has been suspended.

Definitely seems like the mods there must have looked into his posting history and did the right thing.

I'd say it's ONLY because they have been looking like idiots now for not doign anything about for weeks. Other than bashing honest end users/customers who called him out. They've deleted TONS of posts...and banned a bunch of us.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/21872070

I'd say it's ONLY because they have been looking like idiots now for not doign anything about for weeks. Other than bashing honest end users/customers who called him out. They've deleted TONS of posts...and banned a bunch of us.

I certainly can understand your frustration, but at least your banning was not entirely for not. I don't think you will see jcb hawking Axiom products outside of the owners thread anymore.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/21872090

I certainly can understand your frustration, but at least your banning was not entirely for not. I don't think you will see jcb hawking Axiom products outside of the owners thread anymore.

He'll just make another profile I'm sure and continue on. I'm not saying Axiom encourages him to do this..but man if I was Ian I'd lose my mind on him...fire his asss and try to contain the damage he's done. One employee can publicly make a whole company look shady...not that they don't do that all on their own anyways with their supposed DTB, pole testing etc....employee/family speaker shoot outs LOL.

There's just no shortage of ammunition from these guys I guess.

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/21872107

He'll just make another profile I'm sure and continue on. I'm not saying Axiom encourages him to do this..but man if I was Ian I'd lose my mind on him...fire his asss and try to contain the damage he's done. One employee can publicly make a whole company look shady...not that they don't do that all on their own anyways with their supposed DTB, pole testing etc....employee/family speaker shoot outs LOL.

There's just no shortage of ammunition from these guys I guess.

LOL, accoding to jcb he is not on the Axiom payroll so I guess Ian cannot fire him

Perhaps he is paid in speakers.. You can never have too many VP150's I hear..

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 /forum/post/21871829

I was extremely flamed simply for asking the question. Only reason I asked was because I thought the Pioneer speakers were nowhere near as good as they were being talked up. I A/B'd them at Best Buy and I was like, "Are you kidding me? This is what all the excitement is about?). It seemed to me that the thread might have been getting professionally "worked". Even the title of the thread smacked of professional marketing.

Even though I was roasted fairly well (was the flame-fest instigated by pros?) I was not banned. I think that speaks well of the mods here. I asked the question in a respectful manner and did not accuse anybody directly. What we don't want is a witch hunt.

So, I think you über expected a Hi-End speakers line, I´m happy with my Pios, I know they are not the best in the hood, but they still are great FOR THE PRICE I PAID FOR THEM.

If it was "professionally worked" I don´t know, never got any payment for it, I´m just a happy Mexican (living in México) customer.

I believe you just had way too much expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.