Help in setting the dB for my center speaker. - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Help in setting the dB for my center speaker.

Speakers

dazkyl's Avatar dazkyl
06:17 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 25
04-04-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Dec 2010
I have the JAMO S608 5.0 speaker setup along with a jamo sub 250 and ONKYO TX308 AVR.

I wanted to ask , what the safest highest speaker level for my center speaker ? Currently it's at +5dB , and have all speakers to small and 80hz crossover , and my surrounds at +4dB and fronts 0dB , with +2db bass tone and +4db treble tone .
flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru
06:28 AM Liked: 105
post #2 of 25
04-04-2012 | Posts: 2,458
Joined: Mar 2008
If you are worried about it what you could do is pick a number: lets say 4db and drop every channel by 4 db and then you definitely won't have anything to worry about.

So do your Front L&R at -4db your surrounds at 0db and if you want just make your center be +2db. The bass tone is a boost at 50hz and since your xover is 80hz it applying the boost to your sub only so that should be fine. The treble is a boost at 20khz and boosting it by 4 should be fine. This is one of the down sides to a base model receiver. A receiver with Audyssey would provide much better results and you wouldn't have to do nearly as much tweaking.
Nuance's Avatar Nuance
06:33 AM Liked: 59
post #3 of 25
04-04-2012 | Posts: 11,584
Joined: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

I have the JAMO S608 5.0 speaker setup along with a jamo sub 250 and ONKYO TX308 AVR.

I wanted to ask , what the safest highest speaker level for my center speaker ? Currently it's at +5dB , and have all speakers to small and 80hz crossover , and my surrounds at +4dB and fronts 0dB , with +2db bass tone and +4db treble tone .

Are you using a SPL meter to arrive at these levels? If not I highly recommend it.
dazkyl's Avatar dazkyl
06:35 AM Liked: 10
post #4 of 25
04-04-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

If you are worried about it what you could do is pick a number: lets say 4db and drop every channel by 4 db and then you definitely won't have anything to worry about.

So do your Front L&R at -4db your surrounds at 0db and if you want just make your center be +2db. The bass tone is a boost at 50hz and since your xover is 80hz it applying the boost to your sub only so that should be fine. The treble is a boost at 20khz and boosting it by 4 should be fine. This is one of the down sides to a base model receiver. A receiver with Audyssey would provide much better results and you wouldn't have to do nearly as much tweaking.

But if i put my fronts to -4dB , they wont be loud :O i normally listen at 40 volume from the AVR.
dazkyl's Avatar dazkyl
06:37 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 25
04-04-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Are you using a SPL meter to arrive at these levels? If not I highly recommend it.

The only spl meter i currently have is on my htc. I set it to slow response .

What dB should i set all my speakers to from the spl meter ? i mean what should i put the volume on the AVR while testing the test tones ? My receiver is not with the - / + dB volume. Its from 0 to 70.
ap1's Avatar ap1
07:07 AM Liked: 19
post #6 of 25
04-04-2012 | Posts: 2,242
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post


The only spl meter i currently have is on my htc. I set it to slow response .

What dB should i set all my speakers to from the spl meter ? i mean what should i put the volume on the AVR while testing the test tones ? My receiver is not with the - / + dB volume. Its from 0 to 70.

Doesn't your receiver have self calibration? If it does, use it first. Then you can VERIFY result with SPL meter.
dazkyl's Avatar dazkyl
07:12 AM Liked: 10
post #7 of 25
04-04-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Doesn't your receiver have self calibration? If it does, use it first. Then you can VERIFY result with SPL meter.

No it does not have an auto calibratio. Ive tested each speaker correctly with the spl meter , and now the sound is amazingly dynamic and smooth , even the surrounds and dialogue volume from the center speaker. And the bass is also very very smooth !!

left -1 dB
center +2dB
right -1dB
sr - +2dB
sl - +4dB
subwoofer - +5dB

Treble tone +4dB
Bass tone +2dB
Nuance's Avatar Nuance
08:11 AM Liked: 59
post #8 of 25
04-04-2012 | Posts: 11,584
Joined: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post


No it does not have an auto calibratio. Ive tested each speaker correctly with the spl meter , and now the sound is amazingly dynamic and smooth , even the surrounds and dialogue volume from the center speaker. And the bass is also very very smooth !!

left -1 dB
center +2dB
right -1dB
sr - +2dB
sl - +4dB
subwoofer - +5dB

Treble tone +4dB
Bass tone +2dB

Good deal, but I wouldn't rely on using an app on your phone, especially since the app was never calibrated (we probably use the same app - I have a Galaxy Nexus). A SPL meter can be purchased at radio shack and will be the best fifty bucks you spend on your audio system. Get the digital one.

I am happy the sound is more coherent now, though. Sweet!
Nuance's Avatar Nuance
06:59 PM Liked: 59
post #9 of 25
04-04-2012 | Posts: 11,584
Joined: Jan 2006
Oops I forgot to answer your question. Use the internal test tone built into the receiver to set each speaker to 75dB. The volume level on the receiver knob shouldn't make a difference unless its a super old unit, so just leave it where it's at.
NewHT's Avatar NewHT
10:50 AM Liked: 14
post #10 of 25
04-08-2012 | Posts: 130
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Oops I forgot to answer your question. Use the internal test tone built into the receiver to set each speaker to 75dB. The volume level on the receiver knob shouldn't make a difference unless its a super old unit, so just leave it where it's at.

Can you give me instructions how to do the calibration with SPL meter?

I'm using Polk Audio Monitor40 for fronts, Monitor30 for surrounds and CS2 for center and energy S10.3 sub. Receiver I have is Sony STR-DN1000. I did the auto calibration with receiver but I don't think the results are very good. example, Polk Audio ask to set these speakers small but receiver calibration set these as large speaker.

I would like to do manual calibration with SPL meter. and should I get digital SPL meter from radio shack.

Thanks for help!!
Nuance's Avatar Nuance
12:55 PM Liked: 59
post #11 of 25
04-08-2012 | Posts: 11,584
Joined: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHT View Post


Can you give me instructions how to do the calibration with SPL meter?

I'm using Polk Audio Monitor40 for fronts, Monitor30 for surrounds and CS2 for center and energy S10.3 sub. Receiver I have is Sony STR-DN1000. I did the auto calibration with receiver but I don't think the results are very good. example, Polk Audio ask to set these speakers small but receiver calibration set these as large speaker.

I would like to do manual calibration with SPL meter. and should I get digital SPL meter from radio shack.

Thanks for help!!

To complete the manual calibration you will need to pick up an SPL meter from RadioShack. Once you have done that, come back here and let us know so we can assist you with the calibration process.
wlhungdude's Avatar wlhungdude
04:33 PM Liked: 68
post #12 of 25
04-08-2012 | Posts: 632
Joined: Dec 2006
the analog one is discontinued at RS, and they blew the last ones out at a great price, and I'd be shocked if you found one (Get it if you do, though it should ring up less than $30). So yes... get the digital one.
I'll bet you're pretty close, though, because that crappy app is at least consistently crappy... so it should be off similarly in all but the sub channel... that'll take a better measuring tool. No tiny 'smartphone' microphone is going to be very accurate at lower, home theater level frequencies.
Joseph
NewHT's Avatar NewHT
05:43 PM Liked: 14
post #13 of 25
04-08-2012 | Posts: 130
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

To complete the manual calibration you will need to pick up an SPL meter from RadioShack. Once you have done that, come back here and let us know so we can assist you with the calibration process.

yup, got the SPL meter from Radio shack..now I need instructions to do calibration
Thanks for your help!
NewHT's Avatar NewHT
07:27 PM Liked: 14
post #14 of 25
04-08-2012 | Posts: 130
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

To complete the manual calibration you will need to pick up an SPL meter from RadioShack. Once you have done that, come back here and let us know so we can assist you with the calibration process.

Here are the instructions if someone needs it..

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=38765
ratm's Avatar ratm
07:49 PM Liked: 32
post #15 of 25
04-08-2012 | Posts: 1,580
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

A SPL meter can be purchased at radio shack and will be the best fifty bucks you spend on your audio system. Get the digital one.

+ A million...

I didnt realize how out of whack my system was till I spent the 50 bucks the same one your talking about. Between that and the acoustical panels I will be getting in a week or two, it will be far better (for me anyways) than dropping big money on different speakers.
Nuance's Avatar Nuance
09:18 AM Liked: 59
post #16 of 25
04-09-2012 | Posts: 11,584
Joined: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHT View Post

Here are the instructions if someone needs it..

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=38765

Good link - that'll do it.
NewHT's Avatar NewHT
03:37 PM Liked: 14
post #17 of 25
04-13-2012 | Posts: 130
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Good link - that'll do it.

Hey Quick qns..what should be master volume on receiver?

I'm using the SONY STR-DN1000 receiver. It does have a test tone generator for setting speaker levels (db) but this is correlated to the master volume (i.e. turning the master volume up/down adjust the pink noise SPL)

My receiver have absolute scale for volume, such as "0" (minimum) to "99" and "max." So what should be volume knob on receiver should set to??

I will replace this with Denon 2013 line up with audessy setup but now I need to calibrate this thing.
Robinst's Avatar Robinst
10:19 AM Liked: 10
post #18 of 25
05-30-2013 | Posts: 12
Joined: May 2013
Hi this is robin i bought new sony blu ray home theater system bdv E290 i want to set the exact volume level for all the speakers . i dont have auto speaker calibration setup .In manual calibration the volume level +- 6db for all the speakers.i dont know how to use spl meter.kindly send me the exact speaker level volume for each speaker in db.
afrogt's Avatar afrogt
03:31 PM Liked: 443
post #19 of 25
05-30-2013 | Posts: 23,624
Joined: Jul 2003
Follow the instructions in this link
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=38765

You basically want to calibrate each speaker to 75db on the SPL meter.
Robinst's Avatar Robinst
11:03 AM Liked: 10
post #20 of 25
08-18-2013 | Posts: 12
Joined: May 2013
Hi this is robin i bought new sony blu ray home theater system bdv E290 2 months before they came for installation also but still iam not satisfied i want to set the exact volume level for all the speakers . i dont have auto speaker calibration setup .In manual calibration the volume level +- 6db for all the speakers.i dont know how to use spl meter.kindly send me the exact speaker level volume for each speaker in db.
Yosh70's Avatar Yosh70
01:50 PM Liked: 20
post #21 of 25
08-18-2013 | Posts: 2,023
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinst View Post

Hi this is robin i bought new sony blu ray home theater system bdv E290 2 months before they came for installation also but still iam not satisfied i want to set the exact volume level for all the speakers . i dont have auto speaker calibration setup .In manual calibration the volume level +- 6db for all the speakers.i dont know how to use spl meter.kindly send me the exact speaker level volume for each speaker in db.

Unreal
afrogt's Avatar afrogt
07:59 PM Liked: 443
post #22 of 25
08-18-2013 | Posts: 23,624
Joined: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinst View Post

Hi this is robin i bought new sony blu ray home theater system bdv E290 2 months before they came for installation also but still iam not satisfied i want to set the exact volume level for all the speakers . i dont have auto speaker calibration setup .In manual calibration the volume level +- 6db for all the speakers.i dont know how to use spl meter.kindly send me the exact speaker level volume for each speaker in db.

Nobody can give you that information because every room is different. You have to be in the room to run the speaker calibration. But I can almost guarantee that each speaker should not be set at +/- 6db.

If you want to learn how to use a SPL meter the instructions are readily available.

http://www.techlore.com/article/10037/How-To-Calibrate-Your-Surround-Sytem-Using-an-SPL-Meter/



http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=38765
Robinst's Avatar Robinst
01:50 PM Liked: 10
post #23 of 25
08-20-2013 | Posts: 12
Joined: May 2013
ya i installed smart tools spl meter andriod application for my galaxy note but values displayed in that app is from 0 to 120 db [/B]how can i convert it for 6db.
Then i analyzed all the speaker it shows 30 db So what is my speaker level . And tell me the exact level for my woofer out of 6db please

MY Sitting position towards front left,right center,Woofer is about 3.5 m and rear speakers is about 1.6m

PLEASE HELP !!!!!
Robinst's Avatar Robinst
07:30 AM Liked: 10
post #24 of 25
08-21-2013 | Posts: 12
Joined: May 2013
Hi this is robin i bought new sony blu ray home theater system bdv E290 2 months before they came for installation also but still iam not satisfied i want to set the exact volume level for all the speakers . i dont have auto speaker calibration setup .In manual calibration the volume level +- 6db for all the speakers.i dont know how to use spl meter.kindly send me the exact speaker level volume for each speaker in db.



ya i installed smart tools spl meter andriod application for my galaxy note but values displayed in that app is from 0 to 120 db [/B]how can i convert it for 6db.
Then i analyzed all the speaker it shows 30 db So what is my speaker level . And tell me the exact level for my woofer out of 6db please

MY Sitting position towards front left,right center,Woofer is about 3.5 m and rear speakers is about 1.6m

PLEASE HELP !!!!!
jdcrox's Avatar jdcrox
09:45 AM Liked: 64
post #25 of 25
08-21-2013 | Posts: 2,025
Joined: Jan 2003
It is page 36 in your manual. You need to have the test tone, and you do not set to +- 6 db, rather you use the sound meter to adjust each channel to the same db, usually 75db with the test signal playing. Once each speaker is set to 75db, they will play at the same level. The =- reading will be different for most of the speakers, due to room effects, but that does not matter.
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3