Inwall speakers on outside wall with insulation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I am building a theater room and 2 walls will be insulated walls as they are outside walls. I was wondering what to do for insulation behind the speakers.

Should I just leave the insulation there and install the speaker on top of the insulation compressing it into the wall??

Remove the insulation entirely behind the speaker??

Any suggestions??

Thanks, CanadianZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianZ View Post

Hello,

I am building a theater room and 2 walls will be insulated walls as they are outside walls. I was wondering what to do for insulation behind the speakers.

Should I just leave the insulation there and install the speaker on top of the insulation compressing it into the wall??

Remove the insulation entirely behind the speaker??

Any suggestions??

Thanks, CanadianZ

You are most likely fine leaving the insulation. Do you know the brand and model of the speakers you purchased?
post #3 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

The fronts are Mordaunt Short AW 162's. There are fairly large speakers with dual 6" woofers and a tweeter.

I do not have the surrounds or a center yet. Suggestions??

CanadianZ
post #4 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The fronts are Mordaunt Short AW 162's. There are fairly large speakers with dual 6" woofers and a tweeter.

I do not have the surrounds or a center yet. Suggestions??

CanadianZ

Did they have installation instructions? I cannot find much out there about these speakers on the Internet (or the company site) but I did find this:

Quote:

Avant architect also employs a patent pending wall mounting system. Not only does this ensure amazingly easy and rapid installation, but also delivers a rigid connection between the wall and the speaker. Creating such an inert foundation means distortion is kept to an absolute minimum. This is enhanced by the use of a highly absorbent isolation material between the speaker assembly and wall, reducing any adverse sonic effects the wall might induce. The result is a fully isolated mounting.

Worse case ask their support team that is listed on their website.

As for a center speaker I would get a matching AW 162 since you can use it vertically or horizontally. It is always best to try and match your center with your left and right main speakers.

Are you looking for inwall, in-ceiling, or onwall surrounds?

You will also want a subwoofer as well.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

No I didn't get any installation instructions. I bought them used from a friend. Mordaunt Short does not sell inwalls any more and have removed all info about them from their website. (why?!?) I have contacted MS and asked for any info on their Architect series speakers but have yet to hear back.

A matching AW 162 is a good idea, but the speaker is 22" wide so I guess studs will have to be 24" on center. At least for that cavity.

Surrounds will be in wall. Back surrounds will be in ceiling and will be 6" Audio Trac. (cheapish speakers but I already have a pair) The in ceiling will be upgraded later.

Don't know what for a sub yet. Denon AVR 1712 seems like the best receiver for the money right now. (~$400)

Thanks for all the help.

CanadianZ
post #6 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I didn't get any installation instructions. I bought them used from a friend. Mordaunt Short does not sell inwalls any more and have removed all info about them from their website. (why?!?) I have contacted MS and asked for any info on their Architect series speakers but have yet to hear back.

A matching AW 162 is a good idea, but the speaker is 22" wide so I guess studs will have to be 24" on center. At least for that cavity.

Surrounds will be in wall. Back surrounds will be in ceiling and will be 6" Audio Trac. (cheapish speakers but I already have a pair) The in ceiling will be upgraded later.

Don't know what for a sub yet. Denon AVR 1712 seems like the best receiver for the money right now. (~$400)

Thanks for all the help.

CanadianZ

Are you in Canada?

I don't know if this would work in your room but you can also install the matching LCR speaker for your center channel vertically just like your left and right speakers.

The Denon 1712 is a great receiver for the money.

accessories4less.com sells refurb 1712 and the speaker you are looking for at a good price, but it depends on where you are shipping to (US or Canada).
post #7 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 04:52 PM

I do not have the same brand but with mine I insulated the interior walls also. So all my inwalls have it behind them. I was worried that the ones without would sound different the the others plus they are kind of load in the room they backup.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qx56 View Post

I do not have the same brand but with mine I insulated the interior walls also. So all my inwalls have it behind them. I was worried that the ones without would sound different the the others plus they are kind of load in the room they backup.

Every inwall and inceiling speaker I have installed allowed you to install it touching the insulation.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
X2 on Ack_bk's advice. I will just add my own experience installing in-walls in outside walls. Yes you can have insullation behind the speaker - in fact I had a conversation with a professional installer after who said one of the most common mistakes is to not put enough insullation behind the speaker. I actually had one layer of the pink fluffy stuff and then repaired the vapor barrier, On top of that I added a thin reflective insulation sheet to help with thermal heat loss and then another layer of pink fluffy stuff separating the speaker from the vapor barrior. I should also point out that my exterior walls are 2x6 construction. I also added a layer of insulation in the interior walls where I had speakers installed.

Hope this helps
post #10 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Are you in Canada?

I don't know if this would work in your room but you can also install the matching LCR speaker for your center channel vertically just like your left and right speakers.

The Denon 1712 is a great receiver for the money.

accessories4less.com sells refurb 1712 and the speaker you are looking for at a good price, but it depends on where you are shipping to (US or Canada).

Thanks for the link. I might even be able to step up a couple of models if I go with refurbished. How are the refurbished Denons??

I think the next step realistically is the 2312. 1912 doesn't have MultiEQ XT and the 2112 has the same amp as the 1712.

Thanks again,

CanadianZ

Edit: Just read on the site that they don't ship the refurb stuff to Canada. Too bad.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Every inwall and inceiling speaker I have installed allowed you to install it touching the insulation.

Hope you don't mind, but perhaps with your wealth of background...

I have 4X monoprice 6 inchers going in a backyard Observatory. There is no insulation at all, but was considering using foam board. I assume this would be non standard for you, but the reason for no insulation is to have the Observatory quickly reach night time ambient, and track the temps as they drop over night. In Tucson that is 20 to 30F delta. Besides standard 2 by 4 stick construction, I will have peg board for interior walls with plywood sheeting exterior. If it matters, the speakers would be 4 foot high in a ~7 foot wall (I'm usually seated).

Insulation would perhaps muffle the noise. I doubt my neighbors would appreciate loud noise at 2 AM. Judicius use of the Volume control is also called for.

As already said, you may never have dealt with this situation, but then again, maybe you have.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page