Advice needed - expanding from 5.1 to 7.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I have it wired for 7.1. I already have a set of Klipsch HD500. I'm looking to add 2 speakers to give me 7.1. I'm assuming the best thing to do is get two new front speakers and use the 4 satellite speakers as my surround speakers. I'm looking for suggestions on a pair of front speakers to go with what I already have. The room is approx 15x17 and I'll be pairing this with a Denon 2112CI. Useage will be 60% movies and 40% TV. I'm looking to spend no more than $400 on the pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
So you're using the center and sub from the HD500 set? There's a consideration of trying to have a match for the L/R mains to the center. Not sure what in the Klipsch lineup mates well with those speakers but you should be able to search for some help on that.

The fronts at only $400 a pair are going to offer limited options but perhaps a set of Ascend 200SEs or 170SEs (for a L/C/R setup that is) even with an increase in cost may be well worth the investment. Yes, I am an Ascend owner...200SEs and Sierra-1s. Good company to deal with and I think a great product for the price.

Next I'd consider upgrading that sub...a real sub can do wonders even with satellite type speakers...

ps I've also been very impressed with my Cambridge S-30's, good bang for the buck. Heard nice things about the Pioneer Andrew Jones-designed speakers (BS 41's?).

post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

So you're using the center and sub from the HD500 set? There's a consideration of trying to have a match for the L/R mains to the center.

Ideally I'd like to reuse the center if possible because that will keep my cost low. The thing I'm struggling with is I'm not too sure how much I'll use the lower level media room so I don't want to invest a huge amount of money in it right now. That's why I'd like to stay under $400 but if I can get a significant performance increase for just a bit more then I might stretch the budget or I could use the HD500 as is for a while and then upgrade later.

Quote:

Next I'd consider upgrading that sub...a real sub can do wonders even with satellite type speakers...

I bought the HD500 knowing that the sub would probably be the weakest point and figured it would not be a big problem to upgrade that.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

I've been looking around some more and what I'd really like to get is a bookshelf class speaker that is low profile so that I can mount it on the wall. Something like the Definitive Technology Mythos Gem would be nice but from what I've read that speaker is not recommended for front channels due to the fact that it has angled drivers. Anyone got a suggestion?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsume99 View Post

Ideally I'd like to reuse the center if possible because that will keep my cost low.

It's best to use a matching center channel with the front two speakers for a smooth front sound stage.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

It's best to use a matching center channel with the front two speakers for a smooth front sound stage.

Ok. So what I'm looking for now is a set of fronts (L/R and center) that I can mount on the wall. I'm still searching around so maybe I'll stumble on something myself.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok. So what I'm looking for now is a set of fronts (L/R and center) that I can mount on the wall. I'm still searching around so maybe I'll stumble on something myself.

The Ascend HTM200SEs are suitable for wall mounting, they're sealed.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Ascend HTM200SEs are suitable for wall mounting, they're sealed.

I saw that they were wall mountable but I think they are a little too deep. I'm looking for something closer to 4" and those are 6". I think those would look very boxy when mounted on the wall alongside a flat panel TV. I really like the look of the Definitive Technology Mythos Six and Seven, just not the cost - $1200 is a lot more than I'm looking to spend.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw that they were wall mountable but I think they are a little too deep. I'm looking for something closer to 4" and those are 6". I think those would look very boxy when mounted on the wall alongside a flat panel TV. I really like the look of the Definitive Technology Mythos Six and Seven, just not the cost - $1200 is a lot more than I'm looking to spend.

Can't speak for them as never heard them, but there are flatter ones out there like those from Axiom Audio. Search on wall speakers I guess. Think I saw some nice ones from Triad someone posted (but probably expensive). Haven't needed flatter speakers though as not shopping for aesthetics when it comes to speakers, nor do I have my panels wall mounted...but have seen pics of those DefTechs on wall style, they do look nice.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page