Dynaudio or Paradigm? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 95 Old 04-07-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Unfortunately this economy is taking a toll on dealers, what they carry not only in stock, but what you will actually be able to listen to on the floor. It's not uncommon to rack up a couple hundred miles going from dealer to dealer to find speakers you wish to listen to.

My local paradigm dealer does have floor models but no inventory. I figure in a few years if this economy doesn't get uplifted, we're going to have a hard time listening to anything in an actual store.

$25k is hardly a large amount of money to spend on a home audio/video setup. Besides, how many people replace speakers once they reach the level of $3000+/pr? It's a long term investment where the only thing that needs to be upgraded is your pre/pro and tv. I don't even have an actual theater room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Here in California it's not unusual to have a $1,000,000 house and drive a $20k car

(And $1M house probably is not very big or impressive so the car doesn't look out of place)

How many actually paid cash for those in US? Where I'm at now cars cost 3x as much but people don't hesitate to pay 800K for a 458 or Gallardo, cash.
post #33 of 95 Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Here in California it's not unusual to have a $1,000,000 house and drive a $20k car

(And $1M house probably is not very big or impressive so the car doesn't look out of place)

And they are all moving to AZ!!!!

Jeff
post #34 of 95 Old 04-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Liked: 10
OP asks:

"What are you thoughts on replacing my 12+ year old Paradigm Monitor 9's? I'm looking at the Dynaudio Excite X-16's or the Paradigm Studio 20's. I know they are both bookshelf speakers but would like to upgrade my sound while downgrading in size. We listen mostly to HT/TV/music (Pandora). [/i][/i]"

I had a very similar situation. I wanted to upgrade my 15-year-old Paradigm Monitor Nines with something smaller. So I auditioned two small speaker brands including the Studio 20s. I thought the more modern technolgy of the 20's would overcome any audio weakness caused by the smaller bookshelf size.

I bought the Studio 20's on approval and did an A/B comparison in my theater. Much to my surprise the Nines sounded so much more fuller and natural. To my ears it was no contest. When I returned the 20's, the dealer mentioned that the early Monitor Nines had 8" drivers in them and that perhaps I should look for an upgrade with at least 8" drivers. Another possibility, of course, is that I've enjoyed my Nines for so many years that I've become accustomed to them and any other speaker (no matter the brand, disign, or cost) would sound "off" in a comparison -- like preferring old comfy shoes to a new pair.

So my suggestion would be to purchase any potential upgrade on approval and then do a comparison in your own room. You may find your Monitor Nines sound just fine and, as floorstanders go, they're only 36" tall.

Happy audioning!

Hoyt Griffith
post #35 of 95 Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe my M-9's have 2-7" woofers in each speaker. Maybe you are correct Hoyt, keep the 9's. And just upgrade the surrounds. I have ADP 150's that are 12+ years old...hmmmm and the mind keeps a thinking!

Jeff
post #36 of 95 Old 04-08-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

I believe my M-9's have 2-7" woofers in each speaker. Maybe you are correct Hoyt, keep the 9's. And just upgrade the surrounds. I have ADP 150's that are 12+ years old...hmmmm and the mind keeps a thinking!

Jeff

Or step up to the studio 100s giving you 3, 7" woofers and a dedicated 7" midbass driver you can even pick them up used for 2500/pr
post #37 of 95 Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM

The circa 1997 Paradigm sales flyer lists the bass/midrange drivers for the Monitor Nines as: 210mm (8") with diecast chasis. However, the drivers in my units are a little under 8.5 inches measuring from the outer rim, but a little over 7.5 from inside the outer rim. Maybe Paradigm and my dealer view the 8" as just an approximation.

I'd love to get some Studio 100s. They really look great, but would stand too tall in my theater blocking much of the beatutiful blue border drapes my wife made. Actually I've been checking ebay for some Studio 40s in cherry that might work better in my situation-- they'd no doubt sound as good or perhaps a little better than the Nines and would reveal even more of the blue drapes.

Hoyt Griffith
post #38 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Griffith View Post

The circa 1997 Paradigm sales flyer lists the bass/midrange drivers for the Monitor Nines as: 210mm (8") with diecast chasis. However, the drivers in my units are a little under 8.5 inches measuring from the outer rim, but a little over 7.5 from inside the outer rim. Maybe Paradigm and my dealer view the 8" as just an approximation.

I'd love to get some Studio 100s. They really look great, but would stand too tall in my theater blocking much of the beatutiful blue border drapes my wife made. Actually I've been checking ebay for some Studio 40s in cherry that might work better in my situation-- they'd no doubt sound as good or perhaps a little better than the Nines and would reveal even more of the blue drapes.

Aww ok. The 40s are nice alternative for your requirements. You should also be able to easily take them to 60hz or maybe even 40hz. For me it was a night and day difference crossing my 100s at 60 from 80 and then eventually to 40. My 20s are noticeable at 60 as well.
post #39 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I more or less compared the Paradigm SE3 to the Dynaudio Excite X12 back-to-back. And before the SE3, my ears were rocking to the Monitor Audio RX8. I don't know where the SE3 fits within their lineup, but it was utterly lifeless and dull compared to even the X12, much less the RX8. Th experience was so unimpressive that I have no desire to audition Paradigm ever again. In fact, from best to worst, I would rate Dynaudio>Monitor Audio>B&W>Paradigm in regards to the brands I auditioned back-to-back about a month ago.

In the end, I bought the Excite X16.
post #40 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The SE's are one tier above the monitors apparently. I've never seen one on display at a dealer however.
post #41 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

I more or less compared the Paradigm SE3 to the Dynaudio Excite X12 back-to-back. And before the SE3, my ears were rocking to the Monitor Audio RX8. I don't know where the SE3 fits within their lineup, but it was utterly lifeless and dull compared to even the X12, much less the RX8. Th experience was so unimpressive that I have no desire to audition Paradigm ever again. In fact, from best to worst, I would rate Dynaudio>Monitor Audio>B&W>Paradigm in regards to the brands I auditioned back-to-back about a month ago.

In the end, I bought the Excite X16.

The SE series would be a better comparison to the D/M series, the Excite's should be a step up.
post #42 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Liked: 23
My opinion would be the excites would be more comparable to the studio reference series and not the paradigm se series. For someone to listen to 1 speaker from the paradigm line up and than decide not to ever listen to a paradigm speaker again seems a little odd. Hope you don't do that when it comes time to puchase a vehicle. I love paradigm but I do not like the se series. Hey I test drove a ford focus and didn't like it, so all ford models must suck and I will never test drive a ford again. Seems odd, sorry.
post #43 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Unfortunately this economy is taking a toll on dealers, what they carry not only in stock, but what you will actually be able to listen to on the floor. It's not uncommon to rack up a couple hundred miles going from dealer to dealer to find speakers you wish to listen to.

My local paradigm dealer does have floor models but no inventory. I figure in a few years if this economy doesn't get uplifted, we're going to have a hard time listening to anything in an actual store.

$25k is hardly a large amount of money to spend on a home audio/video setup. Besides, how many people replace speakers once they reach the level of $3000+/pr? It's a long term investment where the only thing that needs to be upgraded is your pre/pro and tv. I don't even have an actual theater room.

Average household income in the US 2011 is 31,111. It's all relative but most people in the US would consider 25k to be a lot to spend on A/V gear. A lot of people would think 5-10K would be a lot to spend.

post #44 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

Average household income in the US 2011 is 31,111. It's all relative but most people in the US would consider 25k to be a lot to spend on A/V gear. A lot of people would think 5-10K would be a lot to spend.

A lot of people would think $500-$1k was a lot to spend...lol. This hobby is a mystery to the average Joe and Jane.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #45 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe we all need our heads examined then...
post #46 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:

Nah; as someone else noted...we all have our vices.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #47 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Liked: 23
I know I might have went a liitle overboard, but it's my only vice and you only live once. I'm couldn't be happier with my systems, but now I need to stay away from my local audio store. I swear when I walk through the door they are rubbing their hands together.

Its easy to see how you could get out of control with this hobby' but it's soooooo much fun
post #48 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:

And deprive ourselves of that new electronics smell when we break open the carton?

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #49 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

True, what was I thinking, lol. Well, we should be lucky we don't spend this money on drugs! At least we can point to our rack and speakers and say " well this is what I blew $xxxx on". Most can't say that.
post #50 of 95 Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We are not the one's with a problem, everyone else has a problem! Most of us have better HT eq than most movie houses. But it's nice to be part of a unique club!

Jeff
post #51 of 95 Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

I liked the 20s more then the 60s

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the 60 like the 20, but w/ extra bass? Or are you saying you prefer the 20 w/ a subwoofer? Thanks.
post #52 of 95 Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBGood View Post

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the 60 like the 20, but w/ extra bass? Or are you saying you prefer the 20 w/ a subwoofer? Thanks.

If I recall correctly, the S60s have a 5.5" mid-woofer and 2 - 5.5" bass drivers, the S20 has a single 6.5-7" mid-woofer. The 20s powered by an Anthem IA amp and Rotel CDP, to me had more clarity and better resolution in the highs and mids, with a more extended treble, the bass was deep enough to be satisfying for most music. The S60s powered by a McIntosh Integrated Amp and same Rotel CDP, sounded to me like they were hollow as if the mid-range was recessed and trapped by the cabinet, the highs weren't as extened, the bass was better then the S20s, however not as much as I had expected, but didnt hit as hard as the Monitor 11s which were right next to them, however the S60s were more detailed then the M11s, but only a little. The dealer let me move the speakers around as much as I wanted to so that they sounded best to me, however I couldnt get the mid-range to ever sound completely open and clear. The 20s sounded better, but still not as clear as my Excites, so that is how I figure the 20s were better sounding then the 60s. I think part of it could have been the gear, the setup, perhaps both; or it could have been the speakers. Who knows. However I could never get the S60s to sound great, and that ultimately brought me to the speakers I have now.

At the same audition I got to hear the B&W 804S with NAD gear, and 802D with McIntosh gear. Neither were in my price range, but it was nice to hear. The 804S was to me the best sounding and best value of the items I heard. The 802Ds were good but unimpressive for the amount of money that setup costs, rather disappointing IMO. The Dynaudio C1s and Octave V40SE for 1/3 the money was 3 times better I felt. I liked the 804s more then the 802Ds, maybe its McIntosh's sound I dont like.

The best setup I have heard is the TAD CR1s with Audio Research gear and a qsonix media server.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #53 of 95 Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Liked: 12
I had a similar experience as callas01 in my search of speakers, I really enjoyed the studio 20s and then it was suggested I try out the 60s. The 60s were in my budget but sounded worse to me. I went next door to another dealer and heard the little dynaudio focus 110s on sim audio gear and they blew me away, a month or so later hearing a few more dynaudio speakers I ended up with the DM 3/7s and am looking forward to moving up through the dynaudio line.
post #54 of 95 Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Check out stereophile's may 2012 issue. The paradigm studio 20 was compared to dynaudio excite x12.
post #55 of 95 Old 04-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

Jeff,

Go audition both, and buy what you like best.

This makes way too much sense.
post #56 of 95 Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmonv View Post

Check out stereophile's may 2012 issue. The paradigm studio 20 was compared to dynaudio excite x12.

Tease!
post #57 of 95 Old 04-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
One of the best sounding systems I've ever had was 5 Studio 20s. I owned 40s as well and liked the 20s better. That being said I've also owned Focus and C-1s and am currently on the hunt for my next pair of Dyns....In my room, with my gear, I like the Dyns better. Both are tasty and I wouldn't have a problem with Studios again...The 20s were special for me.
A big +1 for Dan at Dedicated Audio in Phx. Just be sure you call him and set up an appointment, as was mentioned earlier, He's not in a standard store front. Both of my Focus and Confidence came from him, he's a hell of a nice guy besides. A word of warning though, don't listen to anything above your limits...YOUR wallet will be sorry!

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
post #58 of 95 Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have their website (Dedicated) in my favs. Heading to the valley in 2 weeks and will give him a call before going!

Jeff
post #59 of 95 Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

What are you thoughts on replacing my 12+ year old Paradigm Monitor 9's? I'm looking at the Dynaudio Excite X-16's or the Paradigm Studio 20's. I know they are both bookshelf speakers but would like to upgrade my sound while downgrading in size. We listen mostly to HT/TV/music (Pandora).

Jeff

Both Paradigm and Dynaudio make high quality speakers. You can say Dynaudio is a much higher end company as they offer speakers in much higher price brackets.

Paradigm has been making quality speakers for a very long time and earned great respect in our Industry. They have a following and rightfully so.

Dynaudio can be argued as the best hands down speaker company in the world. I can support that as the very best sounding 2 channel rig I ever heard , Installed had Dynaudio speakers.

Personally I like Dynaudio over Paradigm. I like the way Dynaudio sound. paradigm I've tried so hard to like and I haven't found a pair I would put in my system. I've owned Dynaudio speakers and would again , actually I probably will. I swap out my system every few years or until I want something else.

Going and comparing these 2 models you are looking at need to be decided by listening yourself. You really can't go wrong either way. As much as I like Dynaudio , I think Paradigm has some real value IF you like the way they sound. Honestly think they are overpriced for what you get but thats a personal opinion and should be treated as such. I find much more value in Dynaudio as they have a way of sucking you into the sound , I have so many times just sat there and listened to the music and got lost in the moment. Paradigm never did that for me and I've been Installing them for years.
The brand new Monitor series are the best ever. I think they sound much better then the last few versions. They sport a new look and new drivers. Pretty nice but I still wouldn't take them home.

I wish you luck.
post #60 of 95 Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
O and for the sheer hell of it , I suggest checking out Totem. They fall into this shootout very nicely. You might actually be surprised on what you bring home. Small bookshelf speakers is something they do better then just about everyone else. They have models that are very small but sound huge.
Check them out man , worth your time.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page