post #91 of 95 Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

If you were at a classic car show would you say, hey bud...thats a piece of crap, I'll bet not.

Well that happened to be my impression of some Studio 10s when I had a demo. Under a minutes time I knew these weren't for me and I was just waiting for the salesman to turn them off. Sorry.

It just goes to show how one man's meat is another man's poison and the importance to demo speakers for yourself before purchase, no matter how many rave reviews or recommendations from others they get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I wish the op all the best in his quest for speakers. I think we all know both companies produce great products and it will come down to personal preference. Your money, your ears. My advice would be to enjoy the whole process, because before you know it, you will be at home with new speakers.
For me a speaker purchase was different from other purchases and I really wanted to just enjoy the whole experiance. Kinda like savour the moment.

Enjoy :P
post #93 of 95 Old 08-05-2012, 04:58 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

Average household income in the US 2011 is 31,111. It's all relative but most people in the US would consider 25k to be a lot to spend on A/V gear. A lot of people would think 5-10K would be a lot to spend.

My brother in law makes about $250k per year and when he found out what I spent in 2004 on Paradigm Sigs he thought I was plain nuts. It aint just average folk who think many of us are crazy. LOL
post #94 of 95 Old 08-05-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

Average household income in the US 2011 is 31,111. It's all relative but most people in the US would consider 25k to be a lot to spend on A/V gear. A lot of people would think 5-10K would be a lot to spend.

Not true...not sure what the 31,111 is, per capita average income maybe?

The median household income per IRS/BLS/Census data is about 51,000/yr. The AVERAGE (ie the mean) is about 69,000/yr.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/data/historical/household/

Scroll to the bottom and download the bottom spreadsheet.
You will see the 2010 data which shows median at 49k and change and the average at 67k. Both of those numbers were up for 2011 - FYI
post #95 of 95 Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 AM

Liked: 15
I would like to share my experience to give op something to think about. I'm not an expert in any way however.

I used to own Studio 60s and Anthem gear. It didn't sound bright to me at all but I did feel it lacked some clarity for my taste in music playback. HT was awesome though.

Then I changed to Focal Electra and found them bright pairing with Anthem gear. I know they weren't based on many many reviews I read, the experts I talked to, both online and in person, including an editor-in-chief from a hi-fi magazine who actually bought the Focal Electra after he reviewed for the magazine.

Someone suggested amplification might be the culprit, so I brought in Bryston 4B SST2 into the system. I'm sure everyone knows Bryston is an excellent amp. And guess what, it got worse. The Bryston resolution plus Focal Electra revealing nature was too much to handle for me.

Then came the Pass Labs pure class A amplification in place of Bryston. My life becomes beautiful again and everyday is like summer! I find my self listening hours and hours everyday and my whole music collection becomes all new all over again.

My take away from this, while it's all about personal preference, more importantly it's also about the synergy with the rest of the system. The higher the resolution your system gets the more vital the synergy becomes. I've been called delusional by all-amp-sound-the-same crowd. But I know I'm right in my case.

I guess you might have bought the speakers by now. Keep us posted!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page