AVS Forum banner

Dynaudio or Paradigm?

13K views 94 replies 31 participants last post by  kzhtoo 
#1 ·
What are you thoughts on replacing my 12+ year old Paradigm Monitor 9's? I'm looking at the Dynaudio Excite X-16's or the Paradigm Studio 20's. I know they are both bookshelf speakers but would like to upgrade my sound while downgrading in size. We listen mostly to HT/TV/music (Pandora).

Jeff

#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles /forum/post/21910968

Matis bravo.

I run sound at our church a very high end system for the venue. TRUE we all hear differently. As for me I barely go beyond 14k on the highs. That said a speaker could be bright (as some say...) and I could not tell unless it was a harmonic (another subject).

CDL tells me he like Dyns better than Paradigns. I'm his dealer and if he is happy I am happy. There are a ton of great speakers. Of course I like Dyn but I also love Tannoy, Genelec, Klipsch LaScala and Martin Logan Sumits. Rather broad and that's my point.

Not knowing much about P-dime isn't the 20 a higher priced model than Excites? Just asking. Someone mentioned Totem another good product. Op may also consider PSB.

Very cool , I use to work for a Dynaudio dealer myself and really took to them. I was a huge B&W fan before I was introduced to Dynaudio. I was deep into the CDM9NT's and no one could even remove them from my fingers. Then my boss took me into the Audience 82 room where I sat and got lost in the music. I was so taken I had to go into one of our sound rooms and bring a pair of 9NT's in for a direct side by side as I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My loved 9NTs are getting bested by another speaker which I didn't think possible at that price point. B&W was King to me and that was that. Suprising to say the Audience 82's came home with me and it was all over at that moment.

Studio 20 bookshelf speakers are nice speakers , they actually took some designs from B&W and tried to make their own version of the N805's. They came up short IMO but they are beautiful and sound pretty good.

I have not tested my ears in years , I'd like to know where I drop off.

#78 ·
"How many people here seem to know how a speaker should sound with no regard as to how instruments really sound? Instruments and musical passages can be bright. If you want a speaker to colour the sound and not be bright than that is a personal preference. Myself I like to hear what the instruments really sound like. Lots of people have no idea of the difference from a crash cymbal to a splash cymbal or to a thin crash.

Can a trumpet not be bright among many other instruments? Do people here know more of what sound should be like as opposed to musicians themselves or what instruments really sound like or even a live concert or the venue its played in."

This is absolutely true. ..I've spent years around live and unamplified music and know first hand that even mellow instruments like violins and acoustic guitars (of very high quality!) can begin to grate on your nerves after protracted periods of listening or when standing too close. And instruments like trumpets, flutes, and saxophones can become almost painful at moderate levels and at a distance. ..Much of this is probably person-specific. We don't all hear the same.

Paradigm, I truly believe, engineers their speakers to be honest and accurate. If you don't like them, that's fine, but it's going a bit far to suggest that after all their years and money spent at the NRC they simply tip up the treble just to impress people in showrooms without regard to longterm listening satisfaction. I think they, like many speaker companies, engineer for a flat response in a real listening environment (rather than anechoic) ..But doing so means that some music will indeed sound grating and bright. ..This is why people should eschew the usual audiophile minimalist-thinking and buy a pre-amp/processor/integrated amp with bass/treble so you can tame those recordings that are too tipped up or if your listening environment isn't perfect.

Bottomline: IMHO if your music never sounds bright, then you don't have a very accurate system.

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 /forum/post/21910909

Ok first off his analogy with Tv's is how he feels , why knock him for it or cal it crap?

While I appreciate the "defense"...and agree John1400 jumped to conclusions with his initial response; the point is I never...go back and read it, and I repeat NEVER...made the analogy that Paradigm was somehow artificially bright...to gain the public's attention, like TVs in a showroom. NEVER!

My point was, in general...whereas I myself, used to go for that "exciting", "sizzling" sound...that it really grabbed my attention, and sounded "good"...that I now think of a system in balance, as one that doesn't draw attention to itself...and you can just sit and listen to it, for hours, without even realizing it.

I have no truck with John1400 anymore; I think he came back, explained himself, and softened his position. If anyone else felt like my "TV analogy" was directed at Paradigm specifically...rather than my just commenting on audio in general...then perhaps they need to look at their own feelings about Paradigm.

CD

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 /forum/post/21910750

The op is going to think we are all nuts. :p

Nah, not a chance!! Everyone else not addicted to this "hobby" is nuts, not us. And I live in a small town and there are not many choices, even in Phoenix/Scotsdale area most places you need an appointment! So I ask for suggestions and I get many replys and I thank you folks for that!! It gives me a direction.

Jeff

#81 ·
Mantis...I did not realize that you are an audio expert and avs moderator. Telling me not to come here because of what I said tells me alot about who you are. It seems like if my opinion is different from yours than somehow I must be wrong. After all you have demoed thousands of speakers, you play guitar, you're in the industry, you have family members who sing, dance and play drums, wow that is one talented family.

I have met alot of people in my life who claim alot of things and in the end I find most of them are just blowing their own horn. I have the feeling if I handed you a clarinet and asked, is it plastic or wood, you would not know the difference, they do sound different. If you were blindfolded could you tell me which cymbal was struck, crash, ride or splash. Would you be able to tell the difference between a regular drumhead and a hydraulic drumhead or the difference in sound by what wood was used to constuct the drum. Things like this cause intruments to sound different. But again you are the audio expert, and yes you play guitar and have demoed thousands, maybe millions of speakers.

Get off your high horse and come down to earth. This is a forum for people to discuss, debate and learn about speakers. It's not just a forum for you only and your audio expertise. You assume that I know nothing without knowing anything about me. Are you psychic also?

#82 ·
Im psychic, I knew before i even opened this thread the first time it would peak quickly and then be down hill from there for a long time. I also knew the rap/Maggies thread would be the way. right on both accounts.

#83 ·
Well, I find it funny that studios are now considered to bright. This all sparked backlash when I mentioned that the excites were nothing to get excited about. I'm not sure what defines a purist other than bland and boring, which to my ears, the excites demonstrate.

Each of us hear music through speakers different. This is why it's important to demo them before purchase. Paradigms audio performance is stellar from the monitors up to the signatures. I sometimes feel people try to impress their friends by brand name purchasing.

I also had a feeling that the thread about Maggie's and rap would go down like the titanic. It's your money, your equipment, and your taste that's important, so do as you wish.

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous /forum/post/21911756

Well, I find it funny that studios are now considered to bright. This all sparked backlash when I mentioned that the excites were nothing to get excited about. I'm not sure what defines a purist other than bland and boring, which to my ears, the excites demonstrate.

Each of us hear music through speakers different. This is why it's important to demo them before purchase. Paradigms audio performance is stellar from the monitors up to the signatures. I sometimes feel people try to impress their friends by brand name purchasing.

I also had a feeling that the thread about Maggie's and rap would go down like the titanic. It's your money, your equipment, and your taste that's important, so do as you wish.

Agreed

I,m not psychic and had no idea that the rap and maggie thread would go down the way it did. It got somewhat strange to me.

#86 ·
At one time I owned a seven channel v5 Studio setup, the only speakers I have left from that system are the Studio 20's. I also found the tweeter to be overly aggressive and bright sometimes. I moved up to the Digm Sig line as I find the Be tweeter to be much easier on my ears.

The 20's are being used in a two channel setup at the moment and I would like to replace them but the system doesn't get much use anymore beyond casual listening while making dinner, cleaning etc. Because of the low usage on that system I don't really feel like sinking much money into it so they'll probably be around for awhile.

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous /forum/post/21911756

People get offended when someone said, "Why are you driving a crappy Ferrari 458?". Ohh such emotions when it comes to $. Hard earned $ for most

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/21912345

fwiw, I owned the Studio 20 and 10s (I still own the 10s) and I did find them a little bright as well. They are still great speakers, but my ears do get tired of listening to music on them after about an hour.

Some Studio 10s I was listening to once had my ears tired and I didn't want to listen to any more music on them after about 30 seconds!

I can't see how people can claim they are an "accurate" speaker just because they sound tinny...???

I'm sure a real guitar or other musical instrument wouldn't have sounded like that.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 /forum/post/21914259

Some Studio 10s I was listening to once had my ears tired and I didn't want to listen to any more music on them after about 30 seconds!

I can't see how people can claim they are an "accurate" speaker just because they sound tinny...???

I'm sure a real guitar or other musical instrument wouldn't have sounded like that.

My opinion is the avs forum is becoming like you tube or a gaming forum.

It's about how to take a shot at another persons speaker or how can I get a rise out of someone. If you were at a classic car show would you say, hey bud...thats a piece of crap, I'll bet not. Sometimes I wonder the age of a poster as some post sound like they were written by a teenager.

I thought forum's were about helping, advice, a friendly place to hang out and talk about our mutual hobbies.

Guess not

#90 ·
I thought forum's were about helping, advice, a friendly place to hang out and talk about our mutual hobbies.

Guess not[/quote]

My intent was to get opinions not to bash and down one another. I respect and accept peoples opinions period. I asked the question because of my location and the distance to go listen to these suggestions. With the price of gas I have to consolodate my trips given the distance I would be driving. I take these suggestions and I note the brand of other speakers people have recommended to me and researched on the internet. I thank those people. For the one's who attacked the fellow A/Vers? GET OFF MY THREAD!!!! Thank you!

Jeff

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 /forum/post/21915066

If you were at a classic car show would you say, hey bud...thats a piece of crap, I'll bet not.

Well that happened to be my impression of some Studio 10s when I had a demo. Under a minutes time I knew these weren't for me and I was just waiting for the salesman to turn them off. Sorry.

It just goes to show how one man's meat is another man's poison and the importance to demo speakers for yourself before purchase, no matter how many rave reviews or recommendations from others they get.

#92 ·
I wish the op all the best in his quest for speakers. I think we all know both companies produce great products and it will come down to personal preference. Your money, your ears. My advice would be to enjoy the whole process, because before you know it, you will be at home with new speakers.

For me a speaker purchase was different from other purchases and I really wanted to just enjoy the whole experiance. Kinda like savour the moment.

Enjoy :p

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78  /t/1404258/dynaudio-or-paradigm/30#post_21886874

Average household income in the US 2011 is 31,111. It's all relative but most people in the US would consider 25k to be a lot to spend on A/V gear. A lot of people would think 5-10K would be a lot to spend.

My brother in law makes about $250k per year and when he found out what I spent in 2004 on Paradigm Sigs he thought I was plain nuts. It aint just average folk who think many of us are crazy. LOL

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78  /t/1404258/dynaudio-or-paradigm/30#post_21886874

Average household income in the US 2011 is 31,111. It's all relative but most people in the US would consider 25k to be a lot to spend on A/V gear. A lot of people would think 5-10K would be a lot to spend.

Not true...not sure what the 31,111 is, per capita average income maybe?

The median household income per IRS/BLS/Census data is about 51,000/yr. The AVERAGE (ie the mean) is about 69,000/yr.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/data/historical/household/

Scroll to the bottom and download the bottom spreadsheet.

You will see the 2010 data which shows median at 49k and change and the average at 67k. Both of those numbers were up for 2011 - FYI

#95 ·
I would like to share my experience to give op something to think about. I'm not an expert in any way however.

I used to own Studio 60s and Anthem gear. It didn't sound bright to me at all but I did feel it lacked some clarity for my taste in music playback. HT was awesome though.

Then I changed to Focal Electra and found them bright pairing with Anthem gear. I know they weren't based on many many reviews I read, the experts I talked to, both online and in person, including an editor-in-chief from a hi-fi magazine who actually bought the Focal Electra after he reviewed for the magazine.

Someone suggested amplification might be the culprit, so I brought in Bryston 4B SST2 into the system. I'm sure everyone knows Bryston is an excellent amp. And guess what, it got worse. The Bryston resolution plus Focal Electra revealing nature was too much to handle for me.

Then came the Pass Labs pure class A amplification in place of Bryston. My life becomes beautiful again and everyday is like summer! I find my self listening hours and hours everyday and my whole music collection becomes all new all over again.

My take away from this, while it's all about personal preference, more importantly it's also about the synergy with the rest of the system. The higher the resolution your system gets the more vital the synergy becomes. I've been called delusional by all-amp-sound-the-same crowd. But I know I'm right in my case.

I guess you might have bought the speakers by now. Keep us posted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.