Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post

The best xover is no xover. My speakers don't have a x-over between mid and high freq drivers by design.

For the other 95% of speakers that do have x-overs between mid & high freq drivers, my preference would be to have it as high as possible so that it is out of the way of most musical instrument fundamentals. That's usually not practical since the highest note on the piano is about 4.2 kHz.

Fantastic answer. Best xover is none. But if you have to have one, Id highly prefer a variable active unit, get rid of the passive components at the line level.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 04-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Some clarification.....while it may be true that passive crossover components introduce what may be considered harmful effects on the drivers performance at some point of the operational frequency response, they are quite neccessary for a multi drive unit speaker system and will also I prove the response of even the best Fullrange drivers. Driver technology hasn't produced a device that can do what someone earlier proposed. Systems that claim otherwise do suffer from other, way more offensive artifacts than what a cap or coil might do to the SQ. Active systems do have an advantage over passives in some areas, practicality not being one of them.

What I think was overlooked here, is that a digital signal level xover is going to be far better than having to use caps, coils, and blocks inline at the speaker level. The advantages are many, with no drawbacks(unless you consider having multiple dedicated monoblock amps a drawback).

I run 2 types of audio systems. One fully active, one xoverless(in the process of being finished)technically. The common theme between them though is that both use a point source driver(The fully active using a KEF 6.5" UniQ array)and a pair of dedicated subs to drive the lowest few octaves. After doing many differing brands of speakers over the years, I have come to find that either of these 2 types of setups sound best and are easiest to dial in to basically any room environment.
post #33 of 36 Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

I came to the revelation about loudspeakers when I attended a DIY GTG. It was a bunch of old greyheads and shortwave guys, tubes and some guys with coaxial speakers like that. The stuff looked... DATED to say the least... So when I walked in I was very cynical . THEN...

I LISTEN TO THEIR RIGS

OMFG

BLEW THE DOORS OFF OF ANY BIG BRAND/BOX STORE STUFF I'D EVER HEARD!

Then I bought books on loudspeaker design. I bought a test mic... Then some kits...

Let's put it this way... I'd NEVER EVER purchase a "brand name" loudspeaker ever again!

PERIOD

PS they were coaxial with a custom built HUGE HORN/waveguide made out of fiberglass... ugly buggers but the SOUND

I don't know about anyone else, but I would like to hear em!
post #34 of 36 Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Dispersion characteristics between a tweeter at the bottom of it's response and a woofer at the top of its response are going to be extreme...a (steep) crossover can mitigate this significantly.
post #35 of 36 Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Amusing thread with amusing response. I love it.
post #36 of 36 Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I don't know about anyone else, but I would like to hear em!

Hookup with the DIY community in your area. You're in Jersey? If you want to checkout DIY speakers that are not overly "commercial", I'd checkout Jed Kunz stuff as he is in your area. This will give you an idea what one man, SKILL and the right drivers can do.

Google New Jersey Audio Society. They meet once a month and have started a DIY circle since 2010.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page