Need a new system... (Bose or build) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 04-08-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a new home theater setup, I currently have a Yamaha in a box which isn't bad at all, however I want to upgrade. I do like the sound of the Bose v25 system but I have read and hear it's way overpriced and could get much better sound for a cheaper price. I have read about energy and polk but I just can't get a system together; so I have come here in hope that someone would help me. I would like to get everything new and have a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

I have a 55 inch smart t.v and would like a nice setup along with my blu ray and xbox 360 so if someone could possibly give me a setup; I would greatly appreciate it or at least point me in the right direction if possible I would like to stay under $1500.

Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
BUILD!!!

How big is your room? % movies, game music? Can you describe how your room is set-up (couch or main listening position against a back wall?)? If so, recommend that you go 5.1 - rears would be too distracting

For $1,500 - I would look to put $300 - $500 on the receiver with HDMI (check Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon for features)

I would then put $200 - $300 toward a subwoofer and put approx $100 toward your L&R surrounds and then apply as much of your budget toward your mains and center (front stage). Don't skimp on the center - most of your sound will come from this speaker and it should be timber matched to your L&R mains.

Check Vanns, Amazon for some deals. Ae there any places where you can go to to listen to speakers? Best Buy?
post #3 of 31 Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Do you want speakers that are tiny like bose, or can you actually fit real speakers into your space?
post #4 of 31 Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Do not buy Bose! If you're in need of small speakers, look at satellites from Klipsch, Boston, Polk Audio, Mirage, etc... Anything other than Bose!

Otherwise, a nice set of floorstanding speakers and a matching center channel is what you should be after. Then fill in the surrounds with decent bookshelf speakers and a decent sub in the $300-$500 dollar price range.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Do you want speakers that are tiny like bose, or can you actually fit real speakers into your space?

+1

Even bookshelf speakers with larger drivers perform better than tiny cube speakers (Bose or otherwise).

Do you already have a receiver? Or is buying one part of the budget?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 31 Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Look into the HSU package
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2pkg.html

If you need a receiver - Denon
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 31 Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Newegg has the polk monitor 70 on sale for 179 shipped if you want a floorstander

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #8 of 31 Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

+1

Even the Hybrid 1 package would be a great upgrade over the Bose for a small to smaller-medium sized room. If you have a big room, you'll want the larger subwoofer in the Hybrid 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Newegg has the polk monitor 70 on sale for 179 shipped if you want a floorstander

The Polk Monitor series would be a good upgrade, too, over the Bose. Then get one of the HSU 10" or 12" subs.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #9 of 31 Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You everyone for your info; as much as I do like the small bose speakers which I do beleive is one of the reasons that made me attract to them I'm also open to other options. This setup will be going into my garage (which is now a bedroom/movie room) the lenght of the room is probably about 30 feet and width is about 15 just a rough estimate. usually when it comes to things like this I like to buy everything all at once cause I don't have much downtime to get everything one by one which is why I was looking at a all in one box set. So let's say I went with the hybrid 2 5.1 system along with a denon reciver (which I also plan on buying) will this be much better sounding then the Bose V35? I ask in all honesty because I'm not much of an audio guy but I want my movies and video gaming to sound great and the V35 sounded great but I want to be able to get the best that I can.

Thank You very much everyone
post #10 of 31 Old 04-09-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown user View Post

Thank You everyone for your info; as much as I do like the small bose speakers which I do beleive is one of the reasons that made me attract to them I'm also open to other options. This setup will be going into my garage (which is now a bedroom/movie room) the lenght of the room is probably about 30 feet and width is about 15 just a rough estimate. usually when it comes to things like this I like to buy everything all at once cause I don't have much downtime to get everything one by one which is why I was looking at a all in one box set. So let's say I went with the hybrid 2 5.1 system along with a denon reciver (which I also plan on buying) will this be much better sounding then the Bose V35? I ask in all honesty because I'm not much of an audio guy but I want my movies and video gaming to sound great and the V35 sounded great but I want to be able to get the best that I can.

Friend has the v35. He came over Saturday and was amazed at my set up. The next day he ordered new speakers lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #11 of 31 Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

If you can find a store with a good return policy on those bose, please try them in a room your size for a few days, then return them. Buy any real set of speakers like the HSU you're looking at, and report back. Another option for a room your size

Bic PL-76
Bic PL-26
Bic FH-65

Energy S10.3 x2

Or if you can afford $100 more, Rythmik FV12
post #12 of 31 Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:

So let's say I went with the hybrid 2 5.1 system along with a denon reciver (which I also plan on buying) will this be much better sounding then the Bose V35?

Read this:
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So let's say I went with the hybrid 2 5.1 system along with a denon reciver (which I also plan on buying) will this be much better sounding then the Bose V35? I ask in all honesty because I'm not much of an audio guy but I want my movies and video gaming to sound great and the V35 sounded great but I want to be able to get the best that I can.

The answer is simple, size does matter - and the HSU should be
an ear and eye opener for you.

post #14 of 31 Old 04-09-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Do not buy Bose!

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Edit: Beat me to it, LOL
post #15 of 31 Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well I have done some more researching and I guess Bose is out of the question. I have been reading that the HSU is really good and I wanted too ask, would the Hybrid 15 5.1 be a good choice along with a Denon or Onkyo receiver. I also wanted to ask would it be better to get the HSU VTF H15 sub and then maybe get speakers from polk or energy or would I be completely satisfied with the HSU Hybrid 15? As for my last question, is their a local place like best buy or other store that I can go too and listen to these speakers?

Thank You
post #16 of 31 Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

HSU is an Internet direct brand. So unless you live near their location in California, no store to hear them in.

This thread has some discussion of the HSU vs Energy bookshelf speakers. Here's another thread just about the HSU bookshelves.

post #17 of 31 Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They have a return policy, if you are willing - buy a pair to try them out.
If you decide that you want them, then ask them to finish the package.

post #18 of 31 Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I have done some more researching and I guess Bose is out of the question. I have been reading that the HSU is really good and I wanted too ask, would the Hybrid 15 5.1 be a good choice along with a Denon or Onkyo receiver. I also wanted to ask would it be better to get the HSU VTF H15 sub and then maybe get speakers from polk or energy or would I be completely satisfied with the HSU Hybrid 15? As for my last question, is their a local place like best buy or other store that I can go too and listen to these speakers?

Thank You

Hsu is an id company. If you lived in socal you could but I think they have a 30 day demo policy. The mk2 speakers from hsu are a great value but its totally preference on whether you like em or not. I felt the highs on rc10s were slightly better

post #19 of 31 Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Every time someone buys Bose, Michael Vick executes another dog.

Don't buy Bose.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Best Buy does sell Energy in their Magnolia Home Theater store (most Best Buys don't have them), but a lot of Best Buys do have Polk speakers to demo.

Let your ear be the judge, and USE the 30-day return period to really try them out at home!

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #21 of 31 Old 06-26-2012, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The only Bose system old or new is fine as long as it have Jewel speakers. The V35 system which has Jewel speakers is fine and adapts to any room in the house. Most complaints come from those who have never heard it in a normal home,or apartment surrounding (not in store). Price is high but you can spend lots of money on sound systems or buy all-in-one work for a while throw away systems being sold out there. Just check out the thrift stores & loan stores. I have a Definitive Technology BP3000 L,R towers, C/L/R 3000, BPVX sides, BPVX/P rear surround system in my dedicated Home theater. Blows the roof off. Bose V35 system is perfect for living room and sound to patio and works fine for the lady of the house. She knows which of us will be deaf first What ever works for you system wise/price wise.
post #22 of 31 Old 06-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post

The only Bose system old or new is fine as long as it have Jewel speakers. The V35 system which has Jewel speakers is fine and adapts to any room in the house. Most complaints come from those who have never heard it in a normal home,or apartment surrounding (not in store). Price is high

The problem with Bose home theater systems is not their price but their value. The V35, for example, is literally worth 1/10th of its price, at best, based on its decidedly low-end sound quality--this makes it an extremely poor value, to say the least. This is with the included electronics--without them, the speakers alone are worth almost nothing. And no, it's not because I haven't heard such a system in a normal home, because I have, and it sounds even worse than it does in a larger store.
Quote:

What ever works for you system wise/price wise.

But what about value? Why not spend much less on something of much higher quality? With Bose systems as the baseline, this is extremely easy to accomplish.
post #23 of 31 Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The only Bose system old or new is fine as long as it have Jewel speakers. The V35 system which has Jewel speakers is fine and adapts to any room in the house. Most complaints come from those who have never heard it in a normal home,or apartment surrounding (not in store).

At $3000 eek.gif there are certainly much better alternatives that will likely work in just as many home environment situations.

post #24 of 31 Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

At $3000 eek.gif there are certainly much better alternatives that will likely work in just as many home environment situations.

Do not need $3000 > the HTD Middy will do much more for less, over the Bose. Also as a bonus,
you even get a tweeter.smile.gif
http://www.htd.com/Products/flat-panel-speakers/middy-compact-speaker

post #25 of 31 Old 06-27-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Problem with Bose satelitte speakers, like those in the v25/35 systems...
1. Small speakers with small drivers won't get low.
2. No tweeters. there is a reason why 99% of non HTIB speakers have tweeters.
3. No real subwoofer and significant gaps in freq at the low (no real subwoofer), high (no tweeters) and mid low (small midrange that don't get very low) portions of the freq response.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #26 of 31 Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

you even get a tweeter.smile.gif

Every time you state that, I just have to laugh. After all, why would anyone who knows better want a speaker that doesn't have a tweeter, especially for the cost of Bose sets? LOL

post #27 of 31 Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
hey, Bose has the Twidler!?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #28 of 31 Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

For $1,500 - I would look to put $300 - $500 on the receiver with HDMI (check Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon for features)

I would then put $200 - $300 toward a subwoofer and put approx $100 toward your L&R surrounds and then apply as much of your budget toward your mains and center (front stage). Don't skimp on the center - most of your sound will come from this speaker and it should be timber matched to your L&R mains.

Agreed, but flip the values on receiver and sub. At $200-$300, you are at the point of diminishing return for receivers but upgrading the sub budget to $500 makes a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Sweet suggestion. Also gets you a good sub in one go!

post #29 of 31 Old 06-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown user View Post

So let's say I went with the hybrid 2 5.1 system along with a denon reciver (which I also plan on buying) will this be much better sounding then the Bose V35?

Definitely, the HSU system is in an entirely different league from the V35.
Quote:

I ask in all honesty because I'm not much of an audio guy but I want my movies and video gaming to sound great and the V35 sounded great but I want to be able to get the best that I can.

For the money, the HSU Hybrid 2 is one of the best systems out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

There sure are. For example, the diminutive Energy V-Mini is only $120 each here:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/543514326/energy-v-mini-w-bracket?s_c=site_search

That's $599 for a set of five, which when combined with the subwoofer of your choice will absolutely blow away any Bose home theater system at a fraction of the price.

And the Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE (a set of five for $714) can be used in larger rooms, but it's still pretty small (6.5" x 6.375" footprint, except for the center). Additionally, it can be crossed over at 80 Hz.
post #30 of 31 Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thank You

I would have to say that is a wide decision to not go the Bose route. I had a lifestyle 35 setup and thought it was awesome. After a few years of it dying on me and a lot of research, I don't think I will be buying another Bose product ever again. Anyway, I don't have the Hsu speakers but I do have a Hsu VTF-15H with a 7 speaker set of the Energy RC line and the sound is very impressive...the subwoofer is just amazing! Just my two cents.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page